Turn on thread page Beta

EU threatens UK with legal action over benefit laws... watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ahh man, more annoyance from the EU.
    Whilst they are a very large economy that we want to trade with, everyday I grow closer and closer to wanting to just pull out completely. They screw us over big time, all of the one size fits all regulation just throttles our economy and I wonder if because of that, being in the EU does us more harm than good.
    We elected our government to rule us, we don't want unelected Belgian bureaucrats dictating us and telling us how to run our country, that's for Brtiain to decide. They should just keep their noses out and let us run our own country, the EU has become a terribly tyrannic organisation stomping all over the concept of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    People stop being so bloody reactionary.

Brits as EU citizens can also claim benefits if you live in another EU/EEA country.

If the UK unilaterally decides that it will exclude other EU nationals from its benefits system then that is against the treaties it signed and unfair on other EU countries who allow Brits to take their benefits.

BY CONTRAST - It could be fair if the UK excluded foreigners from its benefits services ONLY if UK citizens lost their right to benefits in other EU countries. That might be a problem for the 1 million brits living in Spain and France (a large number of them retired and relying on local social security and healthcare). From that news article it does not look like this has been discussed - indeed [to quote] "Brussels said it had had a "huge number of complaints" from EU nationals on the issue dating back to 2008, and that British citizens working in other EU countries did not face the same restrictions."

No wonder the EU is thinking of taking the tories to court. If benefit tourism is a worry then there needs to be an EU wide discussion on the issue and Europe-wide reform, not such unfair unilateral action by the UK's little-englander leaders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC)
    While UK citizens qualify by right, nationals from other EU countries are considered on a case-by-case basis.

The European Commission says this is a breach of EU social security co-ordination rules giving all citizens equal rights.

Brussels said it had had a "huge number of complaints" from EU nationals on the issue dating back to 2008, and that British citizens working in other EU countries did not face the same restrictions.
    Good point made here, tbh.

Don't blame them for threatening us with legal action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanbrugh)
    People stop being so bloody reactionary.

Brits as EU citizens can also claim benefits if you live in another EU/EEA country.

If the UK unilaterally decides that it will exclude other EU nationals from its benefits system then that is against the treaties it signed and unfair on other EU countries who allow Brits to take their benefits.

BY CONTRAST - It could be fair if the UK excluded foreigners from its benefits services ONLY if UK citizens lost their right to benefits in other EU countries. That might be a problem for the 1 million brits living in Spain and France (a large number of them retired and relying on local social security and healthcare). From that news article it does not look like this has been discussed - indeed [to quote] "Brussels said it had had a "huge number of complaints" from EU nationals on the issue dating back to 2008, and that British citizens working in other EU countries did not face the same restrictions."

No wonder the EU is thinking of taking the tories to court. If benefit tourism is a worry then there needs to be an EU wide discussion on the issue and Europe-wide reform, not such unfair unilateral action by the UK's little-englander leaders.
    Tough ****, if other countries want to surrender their benefits packages to foreign citizens that's their business, but we have one of the highest net migration rates in Europe and that's largely down to EU migrants. We cannot afford to start doling out every bloke who washes up at Dover with a sob story, no funds, and an EU passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    That's what Switzerland do right? I think that's a good idea.
    Glad to see we agree.

(Original post by michael321)
    No, we could stay in the EEC.

Of course, there would be some political isolation involved in leaving the EU, which might diminish our power, but I think we shouldn't get walked all over in situations like this because of that argument.

Where do you draw the line?
    Agree. I think we should remain within the trade bloc of the EU but it should not serve as a political entity. NAFTA is not a good model for economic trade blocs or anything else for that matter; in my opinion, the regulations the US impose on Mexico are not conducive to a free trade environment, as far as I can see. However, I may be wrong because I haven't looked at this in detail.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.