Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever told your family members about your suicidal feelings? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    I don't think it's a good idea to tell anyone you're suicidal because it can create a lot of problems. It will be rare to find anyone who will be completely understanding, and also they will tell everyone else or they will think you are mentally ill, etc.

The best thing to do is tell them you are extremely depressed, but don't tell them you are suicidal.
    I think you're right, but for most healthy people, the word depressed equates to sadness so they might not take you seriously when you say that you're depressed.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have a few times.

ReputationRep:
    Um, my mum does know I've had those thoughts but as far as I'm aware - my dad is clueless (but that's because he doesn't live with me). Must admit it was a huge relief - but it took years for me to get there. Didn't even tell my mum until I was maybe 19/20.

(Original post by DJTom)
    yeah i have a few times.
    what was their reaction if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm planning to tell my family but I don't know whether I should. Any thoughts or experience?
    i would advise you to tell them that you feel this way but tell them in a way where you make sure they know your telling them because you want there help and support to not feel as low as you do , ofcourse it will upset everyone who cares about you but they will want to help you, just DONT use it as a tool for attention as before long it will become a case of "here we go again". Suffering in silence is probably why you feel this way and telling them may be the best choice but just be careful its a very delicate line.

ReputationRep:
    I have, but I don't think my mother believes me - if she does, she doesn't make it any better

ReputationRep:
    what was their reaction if you don't mind me asking.
    when its daytime they say oh you dont want to do that we all love etc but at night they say go and P******

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried but my mum just says 'dont say things like that'.

I'm not from the UK but there is surely some kind of helpline you can call?

To the person whose father beat her/him - as a parent, I am horrified. It sounds like an extreme reaction and I think it is so sad that so many of you feel you cannot tell your parents, having said that when I was a teenager I could not have told my mom either as she would have made it worse. I had a terrible time as a teenager, mainly because of her, but somehow got through it.

But please, please, talk to *someone*, even an anonymous helpline - in fact they are trained to deal with this and will take you seriously and can help.

A friend's husband committed suicide a month ago and we are all devastated. No-one can figure out why he did it. There are ways through this and if you feel the need to talk it's a positive sign. If you can't talk to your family members, that may be because they are part of the problem, but please, please talk to someone.

ReputationRep:
    Its better to wallow in the pain until you finally get over it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I never have. It's a personal decision - there's no 'upside' to telling someone unless you want to be talked out of it, which if you do want to be talked out of it means you don't want to do it in the first place.
    I agree completely with this.
    I can only add that threatening suicide is, in my opinion, the worst kind of manipulation. Laying the burden of your own problems to another human being is the most awful thing to do if you are not even willing to listen to them talking you out of it.

(Original post by koncha*)
    I agree completely with this.
    I can only add that threatening suicide is, in my opinion, the worst kind of manipulation. Laying the burden of your own problems to another human being is the most awful thing to do if you are not even willing to listen to them talking you out of it.
    There's a huge difference between threatening suicide and saying "I need help, I have been so depressed I am thinking this is a way out". Listening to you guys one would think anyone with suicidal tendencies should just be left alone to kill themselves :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I ended up telling my mum after I tried to throw myself in my Oxford college lake. She told my dad because I couldn't bear to.

After that my dad came up to Oxford every night to sleep on the floor in front of my door (so that I couldn't go walkabouts) until I did my Finals. So that was for about 2 months
    Whyyy?? :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't. I've only spoke about my anxiety and depression..

I have 'thoughts' quite often but I don't think I've ever seriously considered it... I don't know if I'd say anything if I ever did get to that point though...

ReputationRep:
    I never have, and don't intend to unless things get very, very bad.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by maths time is here)
    Whyyy?? :eek4:
    It's a very long and complex story. To cut it short: I was in a psychotic episode and thus very vulnerable and my counsellor was feeding all kinds of **** into my brain and I just believed him and lost control of my brain :sadnod:

To the person whose father beat her/him - as a parent, I am horrified. It sounds like an extreme reaction and I think it is so sad that so many of you feel you cannot tell your parents, having said that when I was a teenager I could not have told my mom either as she would have made it worse. I had a terrible time as a teenager, mainly because of her, but somehow got through it.

But please, please, talk to *someone*, even an anonymous helpline - in fact they are trained to deal with this and will take you seriously and can help.

A friend's husband committed suicide a month ago and we are all devastated. No-one can figure out why he did it. There are ways through this and if you feel the need to talk it's a positive sign. If you can't talk to your family members, that may be because they are part of the problem, but please, please talk to someone.
    I agree, sometimes they are parent of the problem in the sence that they are not helping, or are the cause of it, like in my situation.

Also we do have a helpline called Samaritans in the UK. We can also contact other organisations such as Childline or the NSPCC. Usually when it comes to suicide imo it's best to talk to someone who's not in the family and doesn't know you personally so that they don't judge you, and speak to a professional so that they understand. It's also best to speak to someone who can help you, someone you trust and someone who listens to you. If they cant do these things they aren't going to help.

(Original post by Uchiha5)
    Its better to wallow in the pain until you finally get over it
    No it's not, it's best to get help.

*sorry I meant parents are part of the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I never have. It's a personal decision - there's no 'upside' to telling someone unless you want to be talked out of it, which if you do want to be talked out of it means you don't want to do it in the first place.
    Sometimes when you talk about it, you just don't want to feel that way in the first place. It's a disturbing thought to want to kill yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.