Turn on thread page Beta

What is a Music GCSE like? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do not take it unless you have done some music theory before and have a great teacher otherwise you won't get higher than a C

ReputationRep:
    Mine was WJEC and the course, I thought, was fab. The composition work was all done on Sibelius and was really good to do. The performance exam was to a lovely examiner and the appraisal paper was fantastic. Ended up with an A* for composition, B for performance and an A for the paper with an A overall

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was on OCR and you have 4 pieces of coursework (2 compositions and 2 pieces of written coursework alongside) and you have 2 exams (1 listening paper and 1 creative task - 40 minutes to make a full composition based on provided stimuli) and you have make 2 performances.
    I personally found the coursework and performances pretty easy (I got A's and I'd never played any instruments in my life) The hardest part was definitely the exam for me, so much to remember and I found the notation questions pretty hard.

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at my grades for ucas and found I got an A* in in the music exam last year! How?

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing Music GCSE in year 10 and im finding it hard, i do grade 4 singing and grade 2 piano and doing grade 5 theory. im on a 1-to-1 and i find studying the set works hard, i think if you want to do music you have to have complete commitment and a great memory, if you dont do a instrument pick one up straight away! good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! A GCSE in music, is tough tiring, and tons of fun. With that said, it really is a weight off your shoulders if you're taking a few deadly boring subjects. So, as a music student, doing her music GCSE, I'd say go for it! If you have the passion and desire to create a work of art, it truly would be a fantastic idea!

ReputationRep:
    do you think that a 13 year old with grade 5 theory, grade 6 violin and singing and grade 5 pian o could take it and get a high mark? or should they wait untill they are at GCSE age?

ReputationRep:
    exam board: AQA
    listening= 20% written exam with questions on different genes of music
    composing and appraising= 20% one composition based on classical pop or world music formally appraised by you
    performing= 40% one solo + one group performance
    composing=20% any style

three strands of learning:
    the western classical tradition
    popular music
    world music

musical areas:
    rhythm and metre
    harmony and tonality
    texture and dynamics
    timbre and dynamics
    structure and form

I haven't actually started my music gcse work. I can play a bit of each the violin piano and guitar but haven't done grades on any. the guitar I'm struggling with because I only started a few months. I know the bass is generally easier than the guitar so could someone tell me If you can still get a high level on it? thanks x

back to your question it honestly depends on you your confidence and you capability hope his helped xx

ReputationRep:
    I did the CCEA exam board, and it was hard :I

the coursework was 65% and the tests were 13.5% each

The compositions were worth 32.5% (16.25% each)
    As were the practical exams - solo and ensemble

Paper 1 was on repeated patterns
    Paper 2 was on either (musical traditions of ireland, incidental music or vocal music)
    I Did musical traditions of Ireland and vocal music...
    Currently i dont have a mark breakdown but i got an a* overall

ReputationRep:
    My two daughters did the OCR course with me at home (they couldn't fit it into their school timetables and the school's music teaching wasn't great). It took them each about 3-4 months to complete and both got As.
    I taught this course for 8 years and nobody got less than a D - for some students it was their only GCSE pass. If you are musical at all, it is a hard exam to fail.
    However, it does not go far enough to prepare you for A level (which I teach now) - there is a big jump between the two, so do more than you need to do if you intend to take your music further.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do the exam...just for the excerpts.

I would literally give anything to have The Proclaimers played to me for an exam...
    Unfortunately, I'd probably end up singing along.

ReputationRep:
    As I remember, Edexcel is the worst exam board to do. The coursework is okay as long as you're about a grade 3/4 on your chosen instrument and your theory skills are pretty good. The exam is awful, not sure if there's a new spec but the spec I did was ridiculous! It was at best a 'parrot back everything you've learned about 12 set works' or at its worst, the questions were unanswerable. You need to know almost everything about the set works, forwards, backwards, upside-down, back to front and in Norwegian and Bulgarian.

I had about 10 key facts memorised for each set work for the exam last year (~120 facts in total) and managed to get a B in coursework and a B in the exam leading to a B overall.

[Our teacher also left about two months before the exam, so that was helpful, your mileage may vary on the course with more reliable teachers]

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Music is a lot of work in terms of the exam, if you're with Edexcel. The exam side of it in my opinion is just a big test of memory (set works) where I don't feel like you can apply your own personal knowledge. However the coursework is pretty fun, you make two compositions of your choice probably using GarageBand and then you have two performances, one in a group and one alone. If the teacher teaches the theory and exam aspect of it well it can be an enjoyable subject. I think you'd definitely find it easier if you have a musical background and are above grade 3 or 4 in the instrument. The exam is a lot of work based on 12 set works and 3 forms of Rag Desh so if you're good at remembering a lot you'll be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    why

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2018

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.