Problem with my course/university Watch

Kenny_uk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by A level Az)
Okay, well good luck wherever you go to, university isn't the be-all and end-all after all.
That's true, just unfortunately for this field it's quite important =/
Thanks anyway
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by A level Az)
Firstly, I didn't neg you, and to prove it, I've just negged you, making it -2. Clearly someone out there disagrees with your waffle

These Cisco qualifications you keep banging on about are just one part of a whole university which is made up of many different departments, and I'm talking about the university as a whole. Newcastle University for example (I don't go there by the way) is huge with it's work on genetics, but overall it's still in the same category as the other middle range Russell Group universities when really it should be higher, but anyway, Staffordshire is nowhere near that. Every university has it's strong departments, but that doesn't make it a great or recognisable university. Please stop trying to prove that Staffordshire is a great university when in reality, nobody has ever heard of it, apart from this one department, which you claim (as you would, as you're biased) is amazing.

And the OP said they were aiming for lower universities, which shows that they think Staffordshire is one

You say that the university is not recognised but you're not exactly an employer. You're a university student. Multinationals go to many universities and most universities are actually recognised for what they are doing.

I didn't say that it is a high ranking university but I was arguing against you saying that it is not challenging. You should try our hardware lectures out and see if they're not "challenging" enough for you
Kenny_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by de_monies)
You say that the university is not recognised but you're not exactly an employer. You're a university student. Multinationals go to many universities and most universities are actually recognised for what they are doing.

I didn't say that it is a high ranking university but I was arguing against you saying that it is not challenging. You should try our hardware lectures out and see if they're not "challenging" enough for you
If you dont mind me asking, What do you think of their equipment, the modules and the lecturers?
A level Az
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Okay I'll take your word for it.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kenny_uk)
If you dont mind me asking, What do you think of their equipment, the modules and the lecturers?
I dont do digital forensics though I do do
Hardware Software Systems and Graphics,
Introduction to Security Technologies
Introduction to Software Development and
Maths & Stats for computing students

HSSG - The first lecturer we had was really boring and now the second one managed to one up him and make it even more boring. With the lecturer we have now, he's a good teacher but a bad lecturer(he reads off the powerpoint slides)

IST - We were doing biometrics first for about 4/5 weeks and had a guy called David. He seems like a nice guy and got us through the lectures though his powerpoint slides were not that detailed and they were more of a reference for him than for us. It meant writing notes was a MUST

His first test was negatively marked (ie: one wrong = minus a mark) and now we're doing some stuff on forensic stuff, where we're learning mainly about what evidence you can get, how to get it, how to not get the evidence thrown out of court etc...

The guy who teaches that is quite unconvential, quite funny and therefore a lot of people like the lesson

ISD - We're still doing java at the moment. It's an introduction and if you've done programming before, then I suppose it might be a bit boring. We have a lecturer called Graham who's voice is quite boring but he gets to the point and makes it do-able

Maths & Stats - If you've done A level maths you don't need to do this AFAIK. The teachers seem to help more here because this is the area that everyone seems to need help the most. A lot of us preferred the way the last lecturer taught us because she went through it a few times

Thats it for the first semester
Kenny_uk
Rep:
?
I dont do digital forensics though I do do
Hardware Software Systems and Graphics,
Introduction to Security Technologies
Introduction to Software Development and
Maths & Stats for computing students

HSSG - The first lecturer we had was really boring and now the second one managed to one up him and make it even more boring. With the lecturer we have now, he's a good teacher but a bad lecturer(he reads off the powerpoint slides)

IST - We were doing biometrics first for about 4/5 weeks and had a guy called David. He seems like a nice guy and got us through the lectures though his powerpoint slides were not that detailed and they were more of a reference for him than for us. It meant writing notes was a MUST

His first test was negatively marked (ie: one wrong = minus a mark) and now we're doing some stuff on forensic stuff, where we're learning mainly about what evidence you can get, how to get it, how to not get the evidence thrown out of court etc...

The guy who teaches that is quite unconvential, quite funny and therefore a lot of people like the lesson

ISD - We're still doing java at the moment. It's an introduction and if you've done programming before, then I suppose it might be a bit boring. We have a lecturer called Graham who's voice is quite boring but he gets to the point and makes it do-able

Maths & Stats - If you've done A level maths you don't need to do this AFAIK. The teachers seem to help more here because this is the area that everyone seems to need help the most. A lot of us preferred the way the last lecturer taught us because she went through it a few times

Thats it for the first semester
I haven't done A level maths, and I have a feeling I'd need that anyway and by the looks of it we dont even cover biometrics..
What was the course you did that included these?
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kenny_uk)
I haven't done A level maths, and I have a feeling I'd need that anyway and by the looks of it we dont even cover biometrics..
What was the course you did that included these?
Apologies for the delay in response but I have been revising for some exams. Im doing computer networks & security and Im guessing you'll probably be wanting to do digital forensics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (627)
80.59%
Leave (151)
19.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise