Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    I'm honestly flabbergasted that nobody in this thread has yet blown the Oxbridge trumpet to the point of blacking out. I have to say that I'm not bowled over by the course content offered by either (Oxford is overly theoretical to the point of being dubious in terms of its usefulness, Cambridge tries to scattergun too much and doesn't have an obvious focus on anything) and that it's another one of these things which trades on name, to be honest :flute:
    You're probably right about Oxbridge 'overdoing' the theory part of CS. This can be mostly seen when comparing them with the top US unis like Standford or MIT, where their courses are more like Imperial's CS (the content is at high level but there is a significant focus on practical skills). However, it doesn't change the fact that the oxbridge grads are still highly sought after for good jobs, so they have nothing to complain about.

ReputationRep:
    CS wasn't originally all about graphics cards, programming and networks. It was more about data structures, formal logic and algorithms which, these days, are still (debatably) important but generally form a much lesser part of the course structure because it's not seen as important.
    If you're interested mainly in the data structures, algorithms, etc. I think you'd like the course at York. I chose York for this reason and I am enjoying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamolxes)

I wouldn't recommend queen mary, I hear they do a lot of maths which you don't even need for computers, and you really need to focus on Computers if you are to understand it, trust me it's complicated ****..
    I don't know who you heard that from but I would strongly disagree.

ReputationRep:
    University of Essex is a nice uni and has a very-well-structured CS course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    I would advice you to change your PS or to remove every trace of it in here, because the plagiarism control UCAS uses whilst processing the applications might return results based on what you posted here.
    He hasn't posted his PS here I don't think...Anyway most Computer science PS are boring stuff about how much they love Computers. We're just lucky it's not an oversubscribed degree or we would be in **** luck finding a place at a good Uni.

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't posted his PS here I don't think...Anyway most Computer science PS are boring stuff about how much they love Computers. We're just lucky it's not an oversubscribed degree or we would be in **** luck finding a place at a good Uni.
    So would you say that KCL is good uni for computer science? :laugh: or a biased opinion?

Why am i getting negs? i go to KCL lol

ReputationRep:
    make sure you get in to a Good university for computer science, if you get in to a crap one like me you will so regret it as you will not get your moneys worth and think WHY!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishgoose01)
    make sure you get in to a Good university for computer science, if you get in to a crap one like me you will so regret it as you will not get your moneys worth and think WHY!!!
    Which ones would you call good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    So would you say that KCL is good uni for computer science? :laugh: or a biased opinion?

Why am i getting negs? i go to KCL lol
    I made a QM comment earlier and I think the guy is now bent on negging KCL students.

ReputationRep:
    I made a QM comment earlier and I think the guy is now bent on negging KCL students.
    It ain't me pal. I was giving a genuine input because I believe what you have been told is wrong. I'm not some saddo negging people for their opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    It ain't me pal. I was giving a genuine input because I believe what you have been told is wrong. I'm not some saddo negging people for their opinions.
    To be honest I was actually told that by a QM student I went to college with, but then again he was doing Computing and Maths. Our Maths teacher in college though has said that QM tends to put a lot of emphasis on Maths in Computer Science, though he saw this as a good thing. I opted for a more programming oriented course that also teaches you how a computer actually works as opposed to going the software engineering route, which I hear is very very programming based.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I was actually told that by a QM student I went to college with, but then again he was doing Computing and Maths. Our Maths teacher in college though has said that QM tends to put a lot of emphasis on Maths in Computer Science, though he saw this as a good thing. I opted for a more programming oriented course that also teaches you how a computer actually works as opposed to going the software engineering route, which I hear is very very programming based.
    I'd say the QM's course is pretty evenly balanced. It is quite heavily focussed on programming, like most are these days, but I definitely don't think it has anywhere close to too much maths. And it has a good number of modules on "how a computer works" IMO.

ReputationRep:
    tbh am not sure what the good computer science unis are...all i know is mine is bad and am paying going to a crap uni

ReputationRep:
    Kcl ! Its fun .

ReputationRep:
    computer science is completely different to IT. there probably aren't any "fake" CS courses out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbocklie)
    computer science is completely different to IT. there probably aren't any "fake" CS courses out there
    Well, it really does depend. While I totally agree that computer science is not the same as IT, many courses are biased towards software engineering. For example, the Warwick 4 year course has a strong focus on management in the later years, because it's clearly designed to condition those who take it for software engineering. This is not quite computer science, at least, not computer science as the traditional meaning.

The OP seems to be heavily leaning towards a theoretical course, with little emphasis on industry. Whilst I can't give any particular university suggestions, a good idea is to look for Maths/Computing joint honours degrees, since where universities have made an effort to do such degrees, they've often put more theoretical stuff in.

ReputationRep:
    It was more about data structures, formal logic and algorithms which, these days, are still (debatably) important but generally form a much lesser part of the course structure because it's not seen as important.
    I would believe those things are still important. What made you say it's even debatable?

Blasphemy I say! lol =p

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 31, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.