Turn on thread page Beta

Use of wi-fi laptops damages men's fertility? watch

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely everywhere in the Western world is saturated with radio waves and other EM radiation, pouring through us constantly 24/7/365. Think about everything in your home or workplace that is emitting radiation of some sort or another.

Our addiction to technological "progress" will ensure that the health risks remain of fairly low concern.
    Everything is completely ****ed tbh, way more than most people realise. Everyone's just blinkered and obsessed with "carbon dioxide", probably the least concerning environmental pollutant I can possibly imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Lol. I also privately rent my own place (no other students) and it has nothing to do with it. Nice try at bragging. :awesome:
    It wasn't a try at bragging, I was just saying I don't sit in my bed until 1pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Stop using wi-fi and get rid of all technology.. it's killing us.
    And what exactly are you using, to post that? lol

ReputationRep:
    oh boy i be on my laptop everyday like 3-4hrs a day downloading music :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleakside)
    It wasn't a try at bragging, I was just saying I don't sit in my bed until 1pm.
    I should point out that, as I'm married I rent my own place. I'm actually sat on the sofa with my laptop on my lap, fully dressed (being the afternoon) in a well insulated and double glazed privately rented (as opposed to student accommodation) house. Yes, I am not wired up, the difference is, I'm not worrying
    Horse ****, the bold parts are entirely irrelevant and you were trying to brag, assuming that I was in a freezing student dump. Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    I don't even see why it'd be a bad thing for a decrease in fertility rates. omg humanity going 2 go extinct!!!
    It is a bad thing, since the wealthier people are, the more likely that they're gonna use wi-fi lots. Wealthier people (by this I don't mean super-rich people, I mean the middle classes) are wealthier for a reason, so Wi-Fi damaging fertility would lead to less and less smart people, and more and more idiotic poor people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    It is a bad thing, since the wealthier people are, the more likely that they're gonna use wi-fi lots. Wealthier people (by this I don't mean super-rich people, I mean the middle classes) are wealthier for a reason, so Wi-Fi damaging fertility would lead to less and less smart people, and more and more idiotic poor people.
    Not really lol. Most 'lower class' people I know use laptops.

The wealthier can afford IVF, the lower classes can't, and there's restrictions that the NHS impose regarding how many times you can use it etc. etc.

Not to imply that I think any of what you've just said makes any sense what so ever but on a basic logical level it's flawed lol.

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Not really lol. Most 'lower class' people I know use laptops.

The wealthier can afford IVF, the lower classes can't, and there's restrictions that the NHS impose regarding how many times you can use it etc. etc.

Not to imply that I think any of what you've just said makes any sense what so ever but on a basic logical level it's flawed lol.

EMZ.
    I meant 'lower class' people by global standards, not British ones. Falling birth rates in Britain and other developed countries is going to have little impact on global population if people in place like India continue to have very high birth rates. The point I was trying to make is that there is nothing positive that comes out of decreased fertility amongst British men, where as there would be if it was a poor country where they don't have enough resources to sustain a rapidly growing population.

ReputationRep:
    I meant 'lower class' people by global standards, not British ones. Falling birth rates in Britain and other developed countries is going to have little impact on global population if people in place like India continue to have very high birth rates. The point I was trying to make is that there is nothing positive that comes out of decreased fertility amongst British men, where as there would be if it was a poor country where they don't have enough resources to sustain a rapidly growing population.
    I don't really care to be honest any population reduction is good in my eyes. Ideally there'd be no sentient life.

EMZ.

edit: also England is one of the most over-crowded countries in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Horse ****, the bold parts are entirely irrelevant and you were trying to brag, assuming that I was in a freezing student dump. Get over yourself.
    Well either you're lazy (repeat: it was at 1pm) or you're in bed because you need to keep warm. Entirely relevant. Again I say: I was not bragging and thus not needing to repeat myself. Me stating I was married was extra yes but it does in no way mean I am bragging or make any assumptions as to your home.

Unless of course, you are ill, in which case you should have been resting, not on the internet chatting. Either way I have nothing to apologise for and no reason to 'get over myself'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    I don't really care to be honest any population reduction is good in my eyes. Ideally there'd be no sentient life.

EMZ.

edit: also England is one of the most over-crowded countries in the world.
    This is completely untrue. We have a lower population density than Belgium. We may hae a tendency to huddle up in cities, but we're not overcrowded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Says the girl posting on a thread on the internet...

On topic: Yeah, OK then. In order to survive in this world, I shall make my clothes in such a way they they act as a Faraday Cage.
    (Original post by Lol_Fish)
    And what exactly are you using, to post that? lol

It's scary how few people actually got the sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    This is completely untrue. We have a lower population density than Belgium. We may hae a tendency to huddle up in cities, but we're not overcrowded.
    http://earthtrends.wri.org/images/ma...popdens_md.gif

citing one country doesn't invalidate my statement. I said one of not the most overcrowded.

Personally I don't think it's overcrowded and really don't give a **** about irrelevant crap like this, but in terms of people per km squared England(emphasis on England; not the UK) is up there.

Sick to death of people on TSR quoting me whining and they're not even correct themselves, and what they're quoting isn't even relevant to my main point(that a reduction in the population isn't inherently bad and nor is human extinction).

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    On the bright side, I won't need to wear condoms any more because my excessive use of my laptop may lead to me firing duds.

Apart from the whole STI/D malarkey, but we'll ignore that for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    http://earthtrends.wri.org/images/ma...popdens_md.gif

citing one country doesn't invalidate my statement. I said one of not the most overcrowded.

Personally I don't think it's overcrowded and really don't give a **** about irrelevant crap like this, but in terms of people per km squared England(emphasis on England; not the UK) is up there.

Sick to death of people on TSR quoting me whining and they're not even correct themselves, and what they're quoting isn't even relevant to my main point(that a reduction in the population isn't inherently bad and nor is human extinction).

EMZ.
    I don't think barely making it into the top 50 countries makes it 'up there'. Yes, it's in the top 1/6th of countries but that's not very high at all. Why is human extinction not a bad thing but extinction of all other things such a bad thing? If you are so okay with it, maybe you could start a trend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    It's scary how few people actually got the sarcasm.
    It was a friendly joke

ReputationRep:
    I don't think barely making it into the top 50 countries makes it 'up there'. Yes, it's in the top 1/6th of countries but that's not very high at all. Why is human extinction not a bad thing but extinction of all other things such a bad thing? If you are so okay with it, maybe you could start a trend?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-Europe.html I don't read the telegraph, and 1/6th is 'up there'. This is just semantics and as I said in my previous post irrelevant to my primary point.

And I'm for the extinction of all sentient beings, and I guess if we're to be idealistic any form of animated matter which presents the potential to later evolve sentience. Whether people like it or not our extinction, and all of life's extinction, is inevitable. So we might as well end it now rather than drag it on and the incomprehensible suffering. I could go on a big long rant but what's the point when all you're going to do is disregard the entire argument and say I'm ****ing insane? And there is a, 'trend', there's a big movement promoting the extinction of humanity and sentient life.

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    don't really care, I'd have a vasectomy tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I have always thought this was the case. I never have my laptop on my lap, normally on my desk or on my bed next to me, but when I use it for long periods of time (like 3 hours plus) my testicles really start to hurt. This doesn't happen very often, since I'm rarely on my laptop for that long at once, but it is a bit worrying. How much do we really know about what effects wi-fi could be having on us? Are we going to see a generation of men whose fertility has been damaged by use of wi-fi laptops as they were growing up? :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15943816
    You wouldn't feel long-term mutation from radiowaves.

The closest you would get would be swelling and radiation burns but noone is suggesting anything short of having a picnic at Sellafield can do that.
    It's more likely growth or the way that you are sitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    It's natural selection favouring the more superior PC users.
    Out of rep.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.