Turn on thread page Beta

is gary glitter in charge of sex education for children? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takethyfacehence)
    I think that's an excellent idea. I'm sure there are worse examples but for me even in Year 10 we had a PSHME teacher who blushed profusely and didn't let us watch some cartoon about having sex, despite the fact that half of us in the class were having/knew about (AFAIK) safe sex by then.
    Even fewer teachers are prepared to take questions about more obscure sexual practices, too. We had a boy ask about homosexuality when I was 10 (in 2003, after November, in which Section 28 was repealed - so the teachers were allowed to tell him about it!) and they were so incredibly uncomfortable talking about anything to do with it that we got fobbed off with 'I'm not allowed to talk about that'. There's stuff some teachers just don't want to talk about, due to ignorance about it or their own beliefs or just their own embarrassment - far better to get someone in who doesn't mind doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I do think they are a bit too explicit for eight year olds. However, how else do we educate the kids about these sorts of things? It's difficult because everybody has different opinions on where the line between what's acceptable and what's not is.

but yeah, I think perhaps that'd be acceptable in year 7 or near the end of primary school.

ReputationRep:
    Children need to learn about this. I don't understand why people object to it.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I first found started to learn about sex when I was about 6 years old, and I read a book in a library. It was a book written for children to inform them on the basics of sex, and I found it good and informative. I didn't get any sex ed at school till Year 5 though, and then nearly every year after that. I'm 20 now and still a virgin, so it's obviously not turned me into some raving deviant promiscuous sex-addicted whore, or whatever these prudes keep worrying kids will turn into just for learning about sex :confused:

ReputationRep:
    'If we keep bombarding kids with sexual images, why should we be surprised that they start having sex younger and younger?'

I literally love the top rated comment on that article.

Because.. well.. it's completely opposite of what i have seen experts say in the past. That knowledge about sex at a young, but acceptable, age leads to less promiscuity and such. But oh well, daily fail n all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Even fewer teachers are prepared to take questions about more obscure sexual practices, too. We had a boy ask about homosexuality when I was 10 (in 2003, after November, in which Section 28 was repealed - so the teachers were allowed to tell him about it!) and they were so incredibly uncomfortable talking about anything to do with it that we got fobbed off with 'I'm not allowed to talk about that'. There's stuff some teachers just don't want to talk about, due to ignorance about it or their own beliefs or just their own embarrassment - far better to get someone in who doesn't mind doing so.
    I agree muchly. Thinking about it, I don't think any of the sex ed I experienced had anything to do with anything other than 'normal' sex (hetero missionary) and when we were 'taught' about STDs, we were just told to spend the hour of the lesson on the computer on the BBC website. Personally I shudder to think how little I would know about sex without the internet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I do think they are a bit too explicit for eight year olds. However, how else do we educate the kids about these sorts of things? It's difficult because everybody has different opinions on where the line between what's acceptable and what's not is.

but yeah, I think perhaps that'd be acceptable in year 7 or near the end of primary school.
    Why do you think they're too young?

ReputationRep:
    Stopped reading at Richard Littlejohn. Just the mention of his names conjures up the aroma of scotch egg farts.

ReputationRep:
    I vividly remember watching this at age eleven. We found it ****ing hilarious..

Kids will find out about sex one way or another, whether you show them a video or not - I remember taking my gran's first aid manual to school at age eight for a human body project, there was a section on emergency childbirth (with pictures), around about seven of us used to end up screaming with laughter reading it at lunchtime.. Did the same with the human body encyclopedia, science textbooks, dictionaries..

To be fair - the age 5-7 video is incredibly tame and just explains the body, and shows a cat licking newborn kittens.. The age 8-10 video from memory explains a little bit about growing up, introduces the idea of puberty and about sexual pleasure (something like girls have a clitoris, this feels nice to touch, boys have a penis and it grows hard - this feels nice, etc). Nothing horrific. The age 11 video explains puberty in some depth - there's a girl's version and a lad's version, then there's one about sex in society. Again nothing graphic at all.

Very outdated though - it was made in 1998 I think. It's also very white and middle class with little or no mention of anything "different". Nada about being gay, transgender etc.

I have seen far worse, I was training to be a teacher once and watched a sex ed video (through Teacher's TV) for 12+ year olds in which the viewer was shown two people having sex (under a duvet), orgasms were explained and witnessed, and there was an animation sequence of a cartoon female masturbating in various ways (using an exercise bike anyone?!) .. now, if anything was inappropriate *that* was.

ReputationRep:
    My sex-ed class taught about sperm and eggs but nothing about actual sex... (year 7) we didn't get a class about sex and condoms etc until half way through high school when everyone knew it already anyway.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think sex education should be informative and detailed, the sex ed I had when I was 10 in primary school (10 years ago) was explicit and informative and I can't remember myself or anyone else being shocked, embrassed or upset by it. We all knew about sex anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GStevens)
    Later you say 'could be shown to children as young as 8 years old'.

Which is it?

Does it? Really? Why?
    You're cming across very Daily Mail.

Note that it only reveals later that this is an animation, not live actors, and that 'it's very basic and obvious cartoon animation. Really hard to see this as sexual.

These topics are 'X-rated' are they? Doesn't that very much depend on context? Is an educational cortoon with explanatory voiceover the same as Debbie Does Dallas in the rating stakes?

Parents are given advance notice and are invited to view the video. In my own experience of 3 schools (admittedly limited) the only parents who withdrew their children did it on religious grounds and none of them veiwed the video. Very few parents at all took up the option to view and of those who did none of them withdrew their children. Also none of them were caught shagging or jacking off uncontrollably at the back of the classroom.

Is there an 'Oh FFS' slow head shaking smiley?

A very small percentage of parents are pulling their children out of class.
    Richard Littlejohn (perhaps that's at the root of his exagerated sexualisation issues) is paid to make this stuff outrageous and extreme.

Get some perspective, have you even seen the video?

sorry, all i got from that was the daily mail............... you are so edgy. congrats.

ReputationRep:
    the responses in this thread are so depressing. no wonder society is so f**** up.

exposing 8 year old children to explicit sex material!? it makes me want to cry for the loss of innocence.

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely crucial we teach kids these of course but I would rather it start towards the latter half of Key Stage 2. The concept of teaching 7/8 year olds about sex makes me a little uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I vividly remember watching this at age eleven. We found it ****ing hilarious..

Kids will find out about sex one way or another, whether you show them a video or not - I remember taking my gran's first aid manual to school at age eight for a human body project, there was a section on emergency childbirth (with pictures), around about seven of us used to end up screaming with laughter reading it at lunchtime.. Did the same with the human body encyclopedia, science textbooks, dictionaries..

To be fair - the age 5-7 video is incredibly tame and just explains the body, and shows a cat licking newborn kittens.. The age 8-10 video from memory explains a little bit about growing up, introduces the idea of puberty and about sexual pleasure (something like girls have a clitoris, this feels nice to touch, boys have a penis and it grows hard - this feels nice, etc). Nothing horrific. The age 11 video explains puberty in some depth - there's a girl's version and a lad's version, then there's one about sex in society. Again nothing graphic at all.

Very outdated though - it was made in 1998 I think. It's also very white and middle class with little or no mention of anything "different". Nada about being gay, transgender etc.

I have seen far worse, I was training to be a teacher once and watched a sex ed video (through Teacher's TV) for 12+ year olds in which the viewer was shown two people having sex (under a duvet), orgasms were explained and witnessed, and there was an animation sequence of a cartoon female masturbating in various ways (using an exercise bike anyone?!) .. now, if anything was inappropriate *that* was.

makes you wonder how kids got on for thousands of years without being exposed to erections at the age of 8...............

what has white got to do with anything? are you saying white kids should also be indoctrinated into interracial relationships at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    Sex education isn't taught well enough in this country, which is evident by the number of teenage pregnancies and STDs in young people especially. Showing a video is probably the best way to put the message across; children tend to be more attentive when watching something rather than listening to an embarrassed teacher tell the birds and the bees.

Aspects of impacts on your lifestyle should be better put across as well in high schools especially; people think it's so easy to just have a baby and get a council house these days (at least in my experience at school) when it couldn't be further from the truth. I think it's a great idea to educate children as soon as they are able to understand it in an age-appropriate manner.

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Well I do think it's high time all the 11 year olds having sex (yes, it's happening more and more)
    Is it? I'm a little dubious of claims that people are having sex at a younger age as time is going on. After all, in the past it was common for girls to get married at 12,13,14 (and younger, in some cultures).

That's not to say it's right, but the idea it's a uniquely modern problem isn't all that convincing.

I do think 8 is too young to be told explicitly about sex. Children should be allowed to keep their innocence for a few more years.

I actually can't think of any reason why 8 year olds need to know about sex. At that age you're basically supervised 24/7....just why would you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    sorry, all i got from that was the daily mail............... you are so edgy. congrats.
    I'm sorry if you couldn't understand my response, I really couldn't dumb it down any more.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.