Turn on thread page Beta

When do A Levels get hard? Maths, Physics & Chemistry watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Gina)
    I am a year 12 student currently studying maths, physics and chemistry at AS, with further Maths next year, and am wondering when these subjects will get hard.
    That's not to say they are very easy at the moment, but I am not finding any of the subjects particularly challenging as yet, and am averaging 90%+ in mock tests we do.
    Is there a massive step up for the summer science exams? Do C3 and C4 get a lot harder than C1 and C2, or is it natural progreesion, like from GCSE to AS Level.
    None of these subjects are particularly 'hard' at AS as long as you were competant at GCSE.

Maths pretty much remains the same, just a lot of trigonometry in C3 and C4 so it's more about remembering stuff. Chemistry is however quite hard in A2. Physics is similar in AS and A2. I'm doing the same as you for A2 btw.

Don't get too over-confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icedragon)
    None of these subjects are particularly 'hard' at AS as long as you were competant at GCSE.

Maths pretty much remains the same, just a lot of trigonometry in C3 and C4 so it's more about remembering stuff. Chemistry is however quite hard in A2. Physics is similar in AS and A2. I'm doing the same as you for A2 btw.

Don't get too over-confident.
    I'm not over confident... :P Just was expecting the jump from GCSE to AS to be bigger, that's all

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed a step down from GCSE to AS rather than a step up.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Check out my thread called "Maths - Mechanics VS Statistics"

ReputationRep:
    No, so you may as well go and quit School and get a job. It's a lot harder and you seem to like difficult things.

ReputationRep:
    I gradually had to put more work into maths but it never got too difficult. Chemistry gets a lot more difficult but a lot cooler at A2 so you don't mind so much. I didn't take physics so I can't say I'd know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebellious-Steve)
    No, so you may as well go and quit School and get a job. It's a lot harder and you seem to like difficult things.
    That's not what I'm trying to put across at all. Im enjoying my subjects a lot, my question is simply where is the biggest jump in difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Gina)
    That's not what I'm trying to put across at all. Im enjoying my subjects a lot, my question is simply where is the biggest jump in difficulty.
    Physics remains rather stagnant in the difficulty department as does Maths. As for Chemistry, I cannot say.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is never not difficult, although the difficulty increases quite steadily. If I tell you now that before the end of year 12 you'll be able to draw 1,1,1-tribromo-4-ethyl-3-hydroxyhex-2-ene (this is where someone tells me that's not a real molecule ) with relative ease you won't believe me, but it's true.

I think the same applies to maths, you build on previous knowledge. When you first start looking at trigonometric identities it can be a bit of a shock, but you get used to it.

I've found physics to be the biggest jump by far, the jump being from AS level to A2 level. Physics is hard enough anyway, but at A2 the problems require much more intuition, and some of the concepts are really tricky to get your head around. I've also found that unfortunately there's a lot more 'memorising facts'.

You'll be fine though, I assume you're an intelligent student who'll be able to cope, and you won't just be thrown in at the deep end. What I love about A-levels is that you really feel yourself learning a lot of stuff very quickly and feeling genuinely intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Chemistry is never not difficult, although the difficulty increases quite steadily. If I tell you now that before the end of year 12 you'll be able to draw 1,1,1-tribromo-4-ethyl-3-hydroxyhex-2-ene (this is where someone tells me that's not a real molecule ) with relative ease you won't believe me, but it's true.

I think the same applies to maths, you build on previous knowledge. When you first start looking at trigonometric identities it can be a bit of a shock, but you get used to it.

I've found physics to be the biggest jump by far, the jump being from AS level to A2 level. Physics is hard enough anyway, but at A2 the problems require much more intuition, and some of the concepts are really tricky to get your head around. I've also found that unfortunately there's a lot more 'memorising facts'.

You'll be fine though, I assume you're an intelligent student who'll be able to cope, and you won't just be thrown in at the deep end. What I love about A-levels is that you really feel yourself learning a lot of stuff very quickly and feeling genuinely intelligent.
    Hehehe just drew that shape :P
    Yeah i see what you mean about the trig identites, defo the hardest thing of A Level maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    Three letters....NMR

That's the biggest challenge in the whole of Chemistry A Level is just understanding and practising it.
    have you even done physical chemistry yet? :L

ReputationRep:
    AS

Physics
    Chemistry
    Maths

A2

Chemistry
    Physics
    Maths

The sciences bio chem physics, are 1/2 a grade harder than subjects like business studies)
    Maths are 1/4 of a grade harder.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.