Turn on thread page Beta

what to expect on the first day when you start university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    My months growth is pathetic
    But you did raise awareness the the OP's concerns about starting Uni by causing it to get bumped back onto the Homepage..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hipster)
    Hi, nice to meet you.

What are you studying?

My name is...

Umm, ok then. :ashamed2:
    lmfao you made my day

this deserves 50 reps man. i ran out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by messy_teardrops)
    im one of those people that gets panicky when i start something new (secondary school/ college and now uni)

so i just want to know what people do on the first day or week? how should i prepare, as far as i know none of my friends are doing psychology like i am, so i'll probably be by myself
    Never met or spoken to anyone at my current uni and had absolutely no trouble settling in. First day, everyone was in the kitchen just chatting, laughing at the occasional awkward silence . Got drunk every day on freshers, so did most people tbf. Talking to random people, chatting up girls etc and its all totally acceptable! Id say that most of the people i met outside of halls i met on freshers.

Get lots of alcohol, say hi to everyone you see, especially in your halls! Go out any opportunity you get and dont panic too much if you spend £200 odd in the first week. its all fairly relaxed imo.

Anyway, dont worry too much and I hope you enjoy your self!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justdoit1)
    tbh, i'm not attractive and i have health issues, so i won't be making friends.

so i will go this alone. as i will my whole life
    I doubt it will be because your unattractive or have health issues, rather your moaning and self pitying attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flubadiblam)
    I doubt it will be because your unattractive or have health issues, rather your moaning and self pitying attitude.
    i've tried to be confident, funny, outgoing, mysel and bounced.

do you think you can just come here and tell me how to live my life? you don't even no what i've been through!

the most importiant part of my happiness and love success and frindship is one i had NO HAND IN.

so FORGET IT.

just grateful i have food, am alive, have education, a family and not too bad health...

who needs love or companionship. i have been blessed with things far greater

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil2wkd)
    But you did raise awareness the the OP's concerns about starting Uni by causing it to get bumped back onto the Homepage..
    True, but I'd rather have a glorious 'tache...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    This is about the gist of it, meet a couple of people then go out and meet more people. Lot of drinking tends to be involved
    haha sounds like a good plan, dont know what im worrying about!

ReputationRep:
    i've tried to be confident, funny, outgoing, mysel and bounced.

do you think you can just come here and tell me how to live my life? you don't even no what i've been through!

the most importiant part of my happiness and love success and frindship is one i had NO HAND IN.

so FORGET IT.

just grateful i have food, am alive, have education, a family and not too bad health...

who needs love or companionship. i have been blessed with things far greater
    If I had a penny for everyone who'd ever said 'you don't even know what I've been through!" I'd have a fair few pennies. Even more if I had another penny for when the same person utters "But you don't!" in almost immediate response.

Contrary to what you might think-University is nothing like High School or College or Sixth Form. Sure, some people are the same moronic imbeciles-I am even 10 years later to a certain degree-No longer are you forced to know the same 200 or so people that you grew up with for better or for worse. There's thousands. You really can pick and choose the people you are going to be spending three crucial years of your life with. And whilst you don't want to be told how to live your life-you will need support from friends at University. I can promise this. I spent my first term deluding myself that I could do this on my own and didn't need to bond with anyone closely. I was wrong. The deadlines, the 24 hour study sessions, the groupwork which you will have to do-that kind of thing, everyone is having to deal with, and you can't dealw ith that **** on your own. I tried and nearly got myself sectioned. Please, trust us when we say you need to risk dropping your barriers that you've put up.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me OP, you are going to be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You go there, get your key, parents and a hall rep helps you take your stuff to your room. Everyone sorta hangs around until everyone turns up then people get drunk and go clubbing. At least thats what happened in my halls.

ReputationRep:
    your tutor will show you which peg to hang your plimsoll bag on

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit early? Anyway, I do worry about university from time to time as I am shy. However go along with an open mind and realise that it's a fresh start. Also many other people will be feeling the same way. The best thing to do is be polite and go along with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, i'm not attractive and i have health issues, so i won't be making friends.

so i will go this alone. as i will my whole life
    I'll be your friend x

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.