Turn on thread page Beta

How is prison good for victims of crime? How does it help them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defuzion)
    What is the actual question of your essay?
    Imprisonment is good for society, good for offenders and good for victims. Discuss using research evidence regarding the psychological effects of imprisoning offenders.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, it seems most people doing this question are stuck on this particular aspect, as most things apply more to society as a whole.

Psychological effects can include things like fear of crime and faith in/opinion of the criminal justice system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defuzion)
    What is the actual question of your essay?

"Prison, discuss"

ReputationRep:
    For the individual victim I'd say it doesn;t really go beyond a sense of justice and security, knowing that the criminal is put away. After all, a judicial system isn;t really geared around the victim, but society as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    It comes from mankind's God-given desire for justice. One of the things everyone seems to have is a conscience and when this is broken we always demand justice. Notice how a schoolchild loses respect for a teacher if they believe he/she is being unjust!

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you do not agree that prison does help prisoners in any way, I'd suggest arguing that instead in your essay. You'll write a stronger essay if you actually believe what you're writing rather than trying to come up with arguments to support what you feel you "should" argue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobeconfirmed)
    OP, if you do not agree that prison does help prisoners in any way, I'd suggest arguing that instead in your essay. You'll write a stronger essay if you actually believe what you're writing rather than trying to come up with arguments to support what you feel you "should" argue.
    Do you mean victims? I'm torn, that's my problem. I believe that imprisonment does help in some way, and that victims are also not supported enough by prisons.

My problem being, the ways in which it does help victims are rather my more instinctive ideas, and difficult to back up with evidence despite the fact that many people are voicing similar opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    All of these work on a societal level, and another area of my essay is about how imprisonment is good for society (and the final point, how is it good for offenders).

I'm now trying to spin these off in a way that concerns victims as individuals, and that's where my difficulty is lying. Reducing the victim's (possibly?) enhanced fear of crime following an attack would perhaps be one way to do this, but I can't find research that suggests that imprisonment does this!

I would get some official texts of several criminal codes, USA states and some continental countries, so that I could compare. I would find definitions of punishment and main goals of punishment. So that I could build the view on goals of punishment in different countries.

I would take the goals and would take a look in each in details. I would take one goal and would check what is it's influence on criminal and his victim. So I would provide comparative-analysis and would make short summary (conclusions in the end). During the goals analysis I would use authority sources making quotes with detailed links to opinions of different scientists. May not elsewhere, but everywhere where I could find worth quote.

Finally I would build construction from the goals of punishment, which are more worth for victims and the goals, which are worth against criminal activity in the country.

After that I would provide poll among students at my Uni. So that there would be lot of statistic work in %. People should place the goals in levels which concerns of the meaning.

One table
    "which are more worth for victims"
    Another table
    "which are worth against criminal activity in the country"

I would ask to stipulate gender, and the faculty, so the size of statistic part would grow. Males think so, females so. Law faculty so and so on...

Several good textbooks of Criminal Law and several good textbooks of Victimology.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean victims? I'm torn, that's my problem. I believe that imprisonment does help in some way, and that victims are also not supported enough by prisons.

My problem being, the ways in which it does help victims are rather my more instinctive ideas, and difficult to back up with evidence despite the fact that many people are voicing similar opinions.
    Sorry, yes I meant victims. I might approach it by acknowledging that it helps the victims of the particular crime that they have been imprisoned for in providing a sense of justice, safety in knowing the person is off the streets etc., but then look at whether imprisonment actually works in rehabilitating prisoners and whether if someone comes out a hardened criminal, there will be more victims down the line as a result of imprisonment.

Just an idea. Hope it's not going off track too much. That is a tricky essay title.

ReputationRep:
    So they know they are being punished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalfever)
    Yup, knowing that they get free meals, television, x-box privileges and more would really make me feel like I was sticking it to them. U.S Prisons are not that bad.
    Only for the biggest, most psychotic gang leader though right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobeconfirmed)
    Sorry, yes I meant victims. I might approach it by acknowledging that it helps the victims of the particular crime that they have been imprisoned for in providing a sense of justice, safety in knowing the person is off the streets etc., but then look at whether imprisonment actually works in rehabilitating prisoners and whether if someone comes out a hardened criminal, there will be more victims down the line as a result of imprisonment.

Just an idea. Hope it's not going off track too much. That is a tricky essay title.
    That seems a way of spinning it so that it does address victims personally, thanks for the advice!

And thanks for the replies so far everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it does in a lot of cases, and especially not in the cases of young people and those who have committed petty crimes or for non payment of council tax etc.

I'd far rather see those convicted of crimes being rehabilitated. Look at the costs for imprisoning people and rehabilitation. The latter tends to be a LOT less and lead to less reoffending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Only for the biggest, most psychotic gang leader though right?
    I think it's safe to say those who rape, reap the rewards in the jail system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm not sure it does in a lot of cases, and especially not in the cases of young people and those who have committed petty crimes or for non payment of council tax etc.

I'd far rather see those convicted of crimes being rehabilitated. Look at the costs for imprisoning people and rehabilitation. The latter tends to be a LOT less and lead to less reoffending.
    That's a good point, and unfortunately the majority of prisoners do go on to reoffend. I've found statistics that suggest some of the best rehabilitation programs offer a 30% drop in reoffending at most.

Thing is, not a lot of people know much about how this works, or how well it works in prison. Although a 30% drop is good for the victim I suppose, as it at least means there's a 30% drop in them being victimised again!

(sorry, just rambling on trying to work out best how to argue these points!)

ReputationRep:
    They're usually segregated from other prisoners for that reason though!

ReputationRep:
    They're usually segregated from other prisoners for that reason though!

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point, and unfortunately the majority of prisoners do go on to reoffend. I've found statistics that suggest some of the best rehabilitation programs offer a 30% drop in reoffending at most.

Thing is, not a lot of people know much about how this works, or how well it works in prison. Although a 30% drop is good for the victim I suppose, as it at least means there's a 30% drop in them being victimised again!

(sorry, just rambling on trying to work out best how to argue these points!)
    What about looking at things like restorative justice? That's far better for the victims in my opinion, although obviously it depends on the kind of crime committed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    What about looking at things like restorative justice? That's far better for the victims in my opinion, although obviously it depends on the kind of crime committed.
    Are these held in the prison itself? That could be a really useful thing to talk about actually, thanks for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Are these held in the prison itself? That could be a really useful thing to talk about actually, thanks for the suggestion!
    I don't know exactly. I think it's generally just in a safe place with the young person, the victims, and officials, so that they can establish how best to try and make it up to them. It's a win win, really.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: You disgust me.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.