Turn on thread page Beta

How long does it take to do a PhD in the USA. watch


    (Original post by devil09)
    The UC system is getting hit really, really hard by budget cuts, though, and I consider myself very fortunate that I received funding...many don't.
    And therein lies my concern with doing a PhD from the UCs. In order to make a PhD an at all viable option, I would need funding (e.g. tuition + stipend). I've tended to shy away from the UCs because of the budget cuts in recent years. The UCs, unlike U of M, simply don't have the endowment to support themselves without signifiant state funding.

    Of course, if I wanted to do Philosophy for my PhD, I would quite obviously refuse to leave NYU.

    (Original post by NYU2012)
    I'm a double major in philosophy and politics, minors in psychology and sociology. Sadly, NYU won't let students triple major, otherwise I would have dropped my sociology minor and picked up a psychology triple major instead.

    I'm not familiar enough the UC system to know, but, for PhD programs, do they stipend their PhD students? For example, NYU psychology department pays for your tuition, gives you healthcare and benefits and pays you or rather stipends you $22,000 per year for five years for your living expenses.
    Guess someone else answered your question, but I'll add on to it!

    Yes, they do stipend their PhD students, but it really depends which UC school you apply to. I know UCSD offers a stipend to most PhD applicants, but it's worth asking about. All students are enrolled in healthcare, it's mandatory, and that amount is taken from the stipend, but what is left over covers everything else.

    Yes, budget cuts are a problem, but thankfully they haven't affected funding in areas like scholarships, stipends, etc.

University open days

  • University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.