Turn on thread page Beta

What is Doner Meat? watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm under the impression that it's all the crappy parts of lamb that can't be used as "meat" as well as water, salt, rusk, seasoning, more seasoning and fat.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? It tastes so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidoo)
    [COLOR="Red"]All these statements about Doner kebab being left overs is FALSE! Read below[/COLOR]

Doner has no implications about anything to do with the actual kebab, the reason it is called Donor derives from the Turkish word döner which means "turning around" - Its called a Donor Kebab because the kebab is on a rotating rod which has a flame behind it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Names

Myth busted!
    By wikipedia? I don't think so. Try again, Sherlock. :sherlock:

ReputationRep:
    if you have an accident and are carrying a doner card...

ReputationRep:
    Lamb belly.

I personally have chosen not to have any since September mainly due to the amount of salt and trans/hydrogenated fats.

Chicken Tikka kebabs are just so much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ieatcheeseyo)
    Bought some Doner meat today, VEGETARIAN friend was saying
    "you do know what's in Doner"
    I was like yeah, all the Tendons and waste...

How much of the "rumours" are true
    I've heard some people saying its everything that gets wasted, some say just tendons some say just organs...

And thinking about that doesn't put me off, even though I know it's disgusting?...
    Taste>Rumours

Blitzen gets awful lonely these days.

ReputationRep:
    a doner kebab was found to contain 5.8g of trans fat per portion
    thats like obesity and a coronary with salad and sauce.

still tastes good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)

Blitzen gets awful lonely these days.
    Ahhh Lol :/
    I love most"ish" animals..."ish"
    the picture doesn't help... but Still Love doner :L

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7841890.stm

and if you can't actually be bothered looking at the article, it actually says it's roast lamb and spices

ReputationRep:
    Its asian food :gangster:

ReputationRep:
    Always preferred chicken to 'lamb', the 'lamb' is so far away from being lamb.

Research by the UK's Food Standards Agency in 2006 found that 18.5% of doner takeaways posed a "significant" threat to public health, and 0.8% posed an "imminent" threat.
    Above quote is quite hilarious. Thats one thing about takeaways, theres no big chains unlike McDonalds, KFC, etc. so you can bet most of them dont meet legal requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    Actually, it originated in Turkey which is in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSurgeon345)

Shhh let us be in the limelight :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    It is a delicious ting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    I always knew it was turkish even though many asians have opened doner kebab shops on green street and southall broadway. The turkish ones are the best though, but a few good asian shops depends where you get it from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    I always knew it was turkish even though many asians have opened doner kebab shops on green street and southall broadway. The turkish ones are the best though, but a few good asian shops depends where you get it from.
    I didn't know....asians claim they invented light bulb....:teehee:
    Last time i said to a white person gonna get donameet and chips....they were like Dona thhats a girls name! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSurgeon345)

I was under the impression that Turkey is mostly in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CitizensUnited)
    I was under the impression that Turkey is mostly in Asia.
    Well, in terms of land, yes. But then so is Russia. However politically, Turkey began full membership negotiations with the European Union in 2005, having been an associate member of the European Economic Community since 1963.

ReputationRep:
    Lamb doner at the best doner kebab house I know is :sogood:

The thing is there's too many below par kebab places serving the bargain basement meat.

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much the meat contents that bother me, its the fact that you walk past the kebaby during the day and the meat is sitting there sweltering in the sun with flies swarming round it.

All they do each day is rock up, heat up the big blog of rancid meat, slice you a bit and cover it in chilli sauce so that you can't tell how long its been sitting there festering.

My best mate once went to hospital for a week after eating doner meat. Apparently bacteria from the rotting meat had spread and infected his entire intestinal tract.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.