Turn on thread page Beta

Surveillance world watch

• View Poll Results: Increased surveillance is...
    Nothing to worry about at all
    21.21%
    Somewhat worrying but let's not overreact
    27.27%
    Scary, we should do something about it
    24.24%
    A sign that the governments of the Western world are worrying about losing power
    27.27%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Oh yes, all current laws are perfectly reasonable. :rolleyes:
    Please re-read what I wrote, I did not claim this.

And I'm sure all future laws will be reasonable too...
    As above

I really hate the "if you haven't done anything wrong you don't have anything to hide" argument. I really hate it. It always seems to be from less... educated people as well.
    You're not really saying anything here, anyone could say this about any point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Please re-read what I wrote, I did not claim this.

As above

You're not really saying anything here, anyone could say this about any point of view.
    Bless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Bless.
    I see you have no counter-arguments to my points so you resort to being patronizing to make yourself feel better.

Good day.

ReputationRep:
    I see you have no counter-arguments to my points so you resort to being patronizing to make yourself feel better.

Good day.
    Counter arguments to what? You don't have any opinions of your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Bless.
    Someone doesn't agree with my viewpoint = less educated.

Great argument skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Counter arguments to what? You don't have any opinions of your own.
    I give up. I cannot debate someone with the mental ability of a squirrel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    Someone doesn't agree with my viewpoint = less educated.

Great argument skills.
    Sorry, but anyone who can't see that the "if you've not done anything wrong you have nothing to hide" argument is deeply flawed is not a person I would consider to be intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    I give up. I cannot debate someone with the mental ability of a squirrel.
    Debate with someone, perhaps. Please, just go, you're embarrassing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Debate with someone, perhaps. Please, just go, you're embarrassing yourself.
    I'm not biting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yarpie)
    Did you know that if you check out certain books in a library, or buy them, you get flagged for the rest of your life, meaning the police can closely monitor you, we're talking books like Mein Kampf.

Source : Worked in a Library.
    If that's true then it's very worrying. 1984- a prophesy slowly being fulfilled?
    Or indeed, already fulfilled? I had my suspicions though. Should have thought
    twice before buying a copy of The Communist Manifesto

ReputationRep:
    remember the government could monitor you if they wanted to but they can't monitor everyone as they just don't have the manpower.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in two minds on this sort of thing.

On the one hand it does feel like a breach of civil liberties and I don't want the government to track my every move.
    But at the same time if it helps to crack down on terrorism, atni-social behaviour etc then I can't totally oppose it.

(Original post by JordanadroJ)
    Am I the only one who wants a world where CCTV cameras are everywhere? I would feel a lot safer

As long as I can get changed or shower without someone looking at me then I'm happy
    Yeh, i'm pro lots of cctv.

I.d cards can **** off however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Sorry, but anyone who can't see that the "if you've not done anything wrong you have nothing to hide" argument is deeply flawed is not a person I would consider to be intelligent.
    It's their view though, so it has nothing to do with intelligence. I'd say they were more naive, certainly. Unintelligent, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    CCTV isn't that bad, you can't control people with it unless it gets to a point where it can detect exactly what you're doing without anyone watching. What I dislike about it though is it's a stepping stone to things which are more evasive, and with kids growing up around CCTV, fingerprint scanners, ID cards etc (all of which you'll find in schools now) they're going to see it as the norm and won't ever question it.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.