Turn on thread page Beta

jailed rape victim freed but must marry rapist watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCUciaran)
    That is just wrong!

Do you dare argue with Darth Vader?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Well done Karzai, nice corrupt regime you have there. Oh and on the subject of corruption, hows your drug dealer of a brother going, Hamid? Still signing oil deals with UNOCAL? Good, 'cause we'll need that oil nice an' cheap yano.
    Yeh, it's all Karzai's fault, because if he wasn't around Afghanistan would be a civilised country.

+1 fairy tales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Yeh, it's all Karzai's fault, because if he wasn't around Afghanistan would be a civilised country.

+1 fairy tales.
    Trans-Afghan pipeline.

Well since Karzai was installed by the CIA, very little has changed and this story is evidence of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Trans-Afghan pipeline.

Well since Karzai was installed by the CIA, very little has changed and this story is evidence of that.
    Afghanistan won't change in any major way. Not in the foreseeable future anyway. Doesn't matter who's in charge, the culture is very deeply embedded.

ReputationRep:
    Afghanistan won't change in any major way. Not in the foreseeable future anyway. Doesn't matter who's in charge, the culture is very deeply embedded.
    It will change, once imperial powers get out of that country and stop raping our resources.

As usual, you havent even bothered to refute what i said, i win :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    damn muzzers

ReputationRep:
    Karzai's administration is just as, if not more, misogynistic than the Taliban. Another US-backed dictator oppressing the population.

ReputationRep:
    This is the man Britain and the US put in charge. Hang your head in shame!
    No WMD's in that other country either. Bloody failures, both of them wars!

Now that's out the way. This kinda stuff is disturbing. Guys get away with what is worse than murder in Afghanistan, and also in the tribal areas of Pakistan. Tribes have too much power. There is no rule of law in these places, only silly customs and tribal powers. Women are treated as objects and property. Ugh.

And before you start getting on that high horse, consider there is a rape culture in the British and US armies. Women get sexually assaulted and raped by their seniors, and these are not rate instances-- let's put aside whether they violate 'the enemy' too (which almost seems acceptable in war today, how disgusting is that). It's a very serious problem that exists so don't paint one set of people with the same brush.

Again, Karzai is the West's man...we are quite happy to deal with tyrants (Saddam, Gaddafi) until their interests do not align with ours. What does that say about our politicians. What does it say about us?

ReputationRep:

+1 fairy tales.
    Yes, if the ruler of a nation is a misogynistic prick then the nation has to live in that uncivilised state. If the ruler is like the former Afghan King: Zahir Shah, it would be far more civilised. In 1964 he drew up a constitution, which turned Afghanistan into a stable, modern democratic state by introducing free elections, a parliament, civil rights, women's rights and universal suffrage.

More info.

ReputationRep:
    If what I gather from this thread is true than I just don't have any words. I don't want to read the whole article this late at night cause it'll just depress me.

PS: I'm a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    I think someone needs to put a bullet through this guy's head, the leader. I think Obama should be the one to do it.

ReputationRep:
    In Islam, rapists are usually given the death penalty. Basically, either they are applying Islamic law and don't believe she was raped, but in fact, committed adultery, or they are just applying local custom. The distinction between local culture and Islam is not always clear - one influences the other.

Either way, it's a ****ed up place to be a woman.
    Serious question time:
    What about the "four male witnesses" rule that they enforce as part of Sharia at the very least in SA and Iran? I thought that pretty much leads to any rapist being let off unless they were actually caught in the act?
    There was a story much to that effect some time back regarding a woman jailed after being raped in Dubai, which is hardly the most overzealous islamic state.

(Original post by silent ninja)

And before you start getting on that high horse, consider there is a rape culture in the British and US armies.
    And welcome the 'Errrm Other Groups Do That/Condone/Think/Act Like This Too Y'know, So Lets Talk About That Too Guiyz' brigade that appear on everyone of these types of threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCUciaran)
    Anyone else agree this is just NOT on?
    Different country, different customs. If it were in England, then I would agree, but like I said it's a totally different culture out there and you're just gonna have to accept that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    It will change, once imperial powers get out of that country and stop raping our resources.

Sorry, how will this change anything? If "Imperial powers" leave Aghanistan why will it suddenly become a civilised country worth living in? Let's face it, the pre-1979 regime is not suddenly just going to come back whether there are Americans in Kabul or not.

ReputationRep:
    So wait, how can the victim be jailed if she is the victim? It seems to defy the meaning of the word. So what punishment goes to the rapist? Seems like he's actually being rewarded for committing a crime which is rather bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)

Those imperial powers include fascist religious forces like the Taliban, correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Again, Karzai is the West's man...we are quite happy to deal with tyrants (Saddam, Gaddafi) until their interests do not align with ours. What does that say about our politicians. What does it say about us?
    Which "deals" did we do with Saddam Hussein, precisely? Or is this the "America armed Saddam" myth that runs around people who haven't done any research?

But I mean, this isn't really a criticism. We deal with foreign politicians until they become too outrageous to deal with, then we dispose of them. I don't think that's a necessarily bad policy; at least if we deal with them in the first place they are more likely to be influenced away from excesses (Pinochet or Musharraf for instance.)

What this basically says about us as a people is that there are some of the population that don't care if we do deals with tyrants, and some of the population that does care and wants to actively stop it. Which side are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting, Horrifying and Disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    Well in Afghanistan, women have had a hell of alot of their rights taken from them. It's their place in society in that culture, as second class citizens. Doesn't make it right, I'm just explaining why it's like that.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.