Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    The earth doesn't rotate in sync with the moons orbit so there will never be something that can physically link the two.
    The elevator just gets out of the earths gravity, not to the moon. But once its built it means we can get heavy stuff into space such as radiation proofing for a mars mission. We just need something strong enough to make the rope. Carbon nano tubes are about there.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! you're such a troll. :P love the floating off into space idea.. However i do agree that it's just fantasy to think that we would be able to colonise another planet or moon or whatever. Earth perfectly meets our very specific needs. You can't simply up and move one part or even a few parts of a whole ecosystem to a different environment. If anything were close enough to Earth's environment it would probably take billions of years to reach. And then.. what person would want to leave Earth, never see it again to start a colony on a desolate planet? Who would want to jump on a spaceship for a few billion years and never look back to the only home humankind has ever known?

ReputationRep:
    yep, just overlook the fact that the moon has gravity... 'falling off a skyscraper on the moon' wouldn't give the worker enough speed to reach escape velocity and float out into space... /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrometer)
    The Mayan calendar ends essentially on our Roman 12/21/2012, with a prophecy that indicates the end of an era. Western (capital W not w) interpreters have taken their prophecy as an apocalyptic prophecy. However, Mayan history says that their people started as mud in their first coming. in their second coming they came as sticks. in their second coming they came as sticks. their end of calendar prophecy says the current era ends and the fifth era begins. Each era, they "level up." What's the level after humans?
    aliens
    Did you hear about the planet they discovered that's made of diamond? So we've got the end of an era, we've got a planet made of diamonds. AND we've got this discovery from OPERA that found neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light (even if yesterday another association challenged their discovery). and on top of that, we've got NASA no longer running men to outerspace and the sending of people to space outsourced to Russia. if space ships were leaving the USA every few weeks to travel to another planet, people would notice. if spaceships were leaving Siberia every few weeks, who's going to see?
    Conclusion: Space colonisation has already occurred. OPEN YOUR EYES (i type as i literally fling my laptop into my eye socket. lord.)
    oh dear jesus... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    oh dear jesus... :facepalm:
    Why is there a nazi salute smiley anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    yep, just overlook the fact that the moon has gravity... 'falling off a skyscraper on the moon' wouldn't give the worker enough speed to reach escape velocity and float out into space... /thread
    Can't believe it took this long for someone to say this. I agree with you.

It's true that gravity gets weaker the further you are away from the surface, but that would have to be one pretty huge skyscraper for you to be able to reach escape velocity just by jumping up from the top of it, even on the moon.

I think a bigger problem would be people adapting to the lower gravity. Could cause health problems and it would make it very difficult for someone to adapt back to life on earth if they've been on the moon for a long time. Also would it be possible for the moon to have a breathable atmosphere with such low gravity? If we pumped it full of air, wouldn't the air pressure be too low to breathe? And of course if you invented some kind of artificial gravity, it would have to be highly localised otherwise the moon would crash into Earth.

ReputationRep:
    jim would have fixed it
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ingrid<3)
    LOL! you're such a troll. :P love the floating off into space idea.. However i do agree that it's just fantasy to think that we would be able to colonise another planet or moon or whatever. Earth perfectly meets our very specific needs. You can't simply up and move one part or even a few parts of a whole ecosystem to a different environment. If anything were close enough to Earth's environment it would probably take billions of years to reach. And then.. what person would want to leave Earth, never see it again to start a colony on a desolate planet? Who would want to jump on a spaceship for a few billion years and never look back to the only home humankind has ever known?
    You're basing your opinion on current scientific knowledge screaming "It's impossible!" But what if you were alive 150 years ago in Darwin's day? What would you have said about the internet? Aeroplanes? Rockets? Large Hadron Collider? Television, even!?

Every technological advancement that has been made in the last 100 years have had people who call it impossible. There is honestly very, very little that is impossible.

3 things I'm waiting for:
    -Artificial photosynthesis
    -Terraforming technology
    -More efficient propulsion systems

ReputationRep:
    And why would we build skyscrapers on the Moon? We're likely to build crater cities, full of low/medium rise buildings and lots of subterranean structures, enclosed by protective domes to guard against space debris. Remember, space isn't at a premium on the moon - there is no life and nothing of worth anywhere on the surface, so we could expand across the moon laterally without feeling compelled to build up to save space. One day the entire lunar surface could be a city - an ecumenopolis - with a subterranean city underneath that. We only build skyscrapers on Earth to save space in crowded CBDs, and to some extent to prevent further urban sprawl, but on the Moon you can start urban planning from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    The full title of my thread, for clarification, is "Space colonisation will never happen and you are stupid for believing it will".
    Great thinking, guys.
    Lol. I take it you study humanities then?

Leave the thinking to the people who understand more than basic physics and maths.

ReputationRep:
    your avatar dances in perfect time with 'welcome home' by radical face

oh and your argument is silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    The earth doesn't rotate in sync with the moons orbit so there will never be something that can physically link the two.
    Massive piece of elastic string. Your move :holmes: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Massive piece of elastic string. Your move :holmes: .
    Don't troll the moon, it's new to the interwebs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrometer)
    Western (capital W not w) interpreters
    That would have to be a capital W regardless, it's at the start of a sentence.

ReputationRep:
    I would.

ReputationRep:
    I would.

Our only chance for long-term survival is the creation of an interplanetary, and possibly interstellar, civilisation.

Not to mention that new planets bring new opportunities - the opportunity to build beautiful, and beautifully efficient, cities; the opportunity for a whole new culture to arise, especially as you get farther away from Earth; the opportunity to see the wonders of the solar system and galaxy up close. For example, who wouldn't want to live on Europa, where Jupiter is so large that it almost fills the sky, and where amazing ice sheets cover a subterranean, possibly life-bearing, ocean.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, stupid idea or not, I very much doubt the moon would be able to offer much by means of an overcrowding solution. Apart from anything else, have you seen the size of it compared to the Earth? It wouldn't hold anywhere near enough people to make even a dent in the overcrowding issue.

ReputationRep:
    Colonisation? Skyscrapers? Moon?

OCCUPY SPACE!!!

ReputationRep:
    The full title of my thread, for clarification, is "Space colonisation will never happen and you are stupid for believing it will".

Colonising the moon is often offered as an attractive solution to the overpopulation problems we will inevitably face on Earth in the future. Everyone from NASA to Prof Hawking has commented on the issue. Superficially, it seems a solid plan.

I can show this plan to be flawed and wrong with one brief thought experiment.

---

It's simple: if we were to colonise the moon, we would presumably try to make it as much like Earth as possible. Humans like surroundings they can adapt to, surroundings they're familiar with.

But consider this.

On Earth, we have tall buildings. Skyscrapers. Towers. All sorts.

Say we build a skyscraper on the colonised moon, which would be inevitable as financial districts and so on expand. Now, buildings obviously need fixed up now and then due to wear and tear.

Say our skyscraper needed some maintenance done on it. The roof, specifically. So we send someone up there to get to work.

Therein lies the problem.

If someone was to go up to the top of a skyscraper ON THE MOON, that is, a skyscraper subject to THE MOON'S GRAVITY, what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

Even if we just don't build skyscrapers, it'd still be risky to have like tall houses and so on. So in the end, we'd colonise the moon only to present a risk EVEN GREATER than the one posed by overpopulation on Earth.

Great thinking, guys.
    Populating other planets in the solar system is inevitable. With the growing population on Earth, and the blunt fact that one day the Earth will be destroyed, by whatever means the Solar System has, it is an absolute certainty that one of the primary concerns for future planning will be transporting large numbers of people to set up settlements on other planets. The Moon will merely set the starting point for that.

Mankind's desire to spread is a substantial catalyst, but there are problems we must overcome to be able to produce vessels capable, not only of long distance space flight, but also of transporting the people and resources needed to colonize such places.

I think the idea of construction skyscrapers is a bit far idolized. Lets get there first, eh?

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.