Turn on thread page Beta

Having a sensitive character is likely to prevent you from being successful, (T/F) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)

See this guy?

Yeah.. He cried... Alot...

How about this one

Spoiler:
    Show

One of the greatest designers of are time and so softly spoken and sensitive it is ridiculous (Could still pound any self proclaimed 'alpha' into the floor too).
    Yea, but what those people have overwrites any character they have....for example fanbois will buy up any piece of hardware Jobs throws their way even if they have no practical use for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Depends on the job! I don't think an aggresive, dominant male would make a good primary school teacher :P
    You've not been to Catholic school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Yea, but what those people have overwrites any character they have....for example fanbois will buy up any piece of hardware Jobs throws their way even if they have no practical use for it.
    That makes no ****ing sense mate.

You make a claim; 'Having a sensitive character is likely to prevent you from being successful'.

I present you with two recent examples who fall within the standard and even beyond the standard definitions of success. What gives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Depends on the job! I don't think an aggresive, dominant male would make a good primary school teacher :P
    since when were primary school teachers successful LOL

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what many may think, even those within the legal industry, I have worked with many quiete and sensative lawyers... some of them are partners in their firms and the top earners...

many accounting and auditing firms like quiete people, I'm not saying they form the majority, far from it, but they appreciate personality

honestly

ReputationRep:
    Generally true.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily

You can be considerate alongside being talented, ambitious and driven. They're not mutually exclusive.

And it's the sort of statement you'd expect from someone with little if any experience of the workplace/employment

ReputationRep:
    Don't confuse words, you're still able to be successful when you're sensitive however when you're lacking in confidence then not so much! Behind every successful man are many haters, people lacking confidence and caring too much could go down. There's also different levels of sensitivity which should be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_sexy)
    This is a subjective discussion, please give reasons for your answers

Sensitive in terms of caring etc
    I think true. Even in caring roles eg vet, doctor, midwife, nurse, you need to be pretty hardened in order to deal with the trauma and stress. For all jobs I'd say it helps to be pretty tough and have a hard side.

However I'd say having a sensitive side can be an advantage in some jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Of course; capitalism encourages greed, aggression and competitiveness. So anyone who is successful in a capitalist society is going to exhibit those flaws.

It's possible to be successful in other ways, though.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a quiet, sensitive person, but defied authority when I've vehemently disagreed with it.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason that I'm frequently quiet and sensitive is that I rarely speak to anybody who I feel is worth getting loud and confrontational with- I'd rather conserve my energy for important things. But people are so alarmed by the depth and ferocity of my passion when I do show it as I choose to be so placid most of the time.

ReputationRep:

My mother failed to 'get anywhere' in life for this very reason, so I'd agree entirely. I do realise however, that she is definitely in the minority, and fortunately, such traits have not passed onto me and my sister.

Overly caring, too giving, anxious in tackling problems and dilemmas, and isn't bold enough to stand up to people. All those and more will practically ensure you won't get anywhere in life off your own steam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    My mother failed to 'get anywhere' in life for this very reason, so I'd agree entirely. I do realise however, that she is definitely in the minority, and fortunately, such traits have not passed onto me and my sister.

Overly caring, too giving, anxious in tackling problems and dilemmas, and isn't bold enough to stand up to people. All those and more will practically ensure you won't get anywhere in life off your own steam.
    It depends where people want to be in life. If it means changing a nice, sensitive nature so much then maybe the best place to be is just within themselves. It is no reflection on intellect, not even necessarily a reflection on drive- it's just that nobody presented good enough conditions for them to want to drive themselves in to.

We don't look on objects in this way. If we see an outstandingly beautiful painting in a civic museum we don't ask why it isn't in a better museum- we just concentrate on the painting. Why do we put such pressure on ourselves to think that it is not good enough to be brilliant in ourselves? That the place that we live in, the company that we keep, is not necessarily a reflection on our own talents but on other people's tastes / whims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    It depends where people want to be in life. If it means changing a nice, sensitive nature so much then maybe the best place to be is just within themselves. It is no reflection on intellect, not even necessarily a reflection on drive- it's just that nobody presented good enough conditions for them to want to drive themselves in to.

We don't look on objects in this way. If we see an outstandingly beautiful painting in a civic museum we don't ask why it isn't in a better museum- we just concentrate on the painting. Why do we put such pressure on ourselves to think that it is not good enough to be brilliant in ourselves? That the place that we live in, the company that we keep, is not necessarily a reflection on our own talents but on other people's tastes / whims?
    You read a little too much into my post, though I suppose some elucidation wouldn't hurt:

I'm not saying outright that being of a sensitive stock will hinder you in life, it's just from what I have observed (in persons in and out of my immediate family) these qualities are the same ones responsible for hindering their opportunities in life and/or making them forego such opportunities altogether.

What's the cause? Well, it's hard to say, though being somewhat 'in-the-know' on the subject, I'd say it's a compilation of social anxiety, a callowness in spirit, and the inability to stand up for oneself. Notice how persons possessing these attributes are generally the ones who are crapped on by life/other people, and they take it just as they would one footstep after the next: almost intrinsically.

In regards to your first paragraph; those who I have known who fit the aforementioned description, are not-so-coincidentally the ones who fail to fit yours; that is, the intelligent, self-sufficient Epicurean bon-vivant who isn't ran over by the tribulations of life.

For what it's worth, I do agree wholeheartedly with what you say.

ReputationRep:
    Sensitive in OPs view is

- Not giving your opinion, being scared too
    - Not man enough
    - easily offended, doesn't like persuading

Basically the type that is most likely to be bullied in school.

I do business, sales to be more specific and everyone in my office is hard-nutted, confident people who don't get offended easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)

See this guy?

Yeah.. He cried... Alot...
    Lmao. Seriously. Steve Jobs was not a sensitive man, at all. He was a total ******* to basically everyone..

"One thing he wasn't, though, was perfect. Indeed there were things Jobs did while at Apple that were deeply disturbing. Rude, dismissive, hostile, spiteful: Apple employees—the ones not bound by confidentiality agreements—have had a different story to tell over the years about Jobs and the bullying, manipulation and fear that followed him around Apple. Jobs contributed to global problems, too. Apple's success has been built literally on the backs of Chinese workers, many of them children and all of them enduring long shifts and the specter of brutal penalties for mistakes. And, for all his talk of enabling individual expression, Jobs imposed paranoid rules that centralized control of who could say what on his devices and in his company."

"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?" Having received a satisfactory answer, he continued, "So why the **** doesn't it do that?"

"You've tarnished Apple's reputation," he told them. "You should hate each other for having let each other down."

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-every...out-steve-jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    You read a little too much into my post, though I suppose some elucidation wouldn't hurt:

I'm not saying outright that being of a sensitive stock will hinder you in life, it's just from what I have observed (in persons in and out of my immediate family) these qualities are the same ones responsible for hindering their opportunities in life and/or making them forego such opportunities altogether.

What's the cause? Well, it's hard to say, though being somewhat 'in-the-know' on the subject, I'd say it's a compilation of social anxiety, a callowness in spirit, and the inability to stand up for oneself. Notice how persons possessing these attributes are generally the ones who are crapped on by life/other people, and they take it just as they would one footstep after the next: almost intrinsically.

In regards to your first paragraph; those who I have known who fit the aforementioned description, are not-so-coincidentally the ones who fail to fit yours; that is, the intelligent, self-sufficient Epicurean bon-vivant who isn't ran over by the tribulations of life.

For what it's worth, I do agree wholeheartedly with what you say.
    I know that this might sound unusual to hear but the reason that some people allow themselves to be 'crapped on' by other people is not out of softness, even if they are often sensitive. They are so intellectually confident that that inner pride in their powers of reasoning can get them through the most horrendous emotional batterings. To engage in a battle of either strength or wits would imply that the other person was worthy enough to be regarded as an adversary, who might even understand what was being thrown at them enough to know that they should feel wounded. Maybe this makes the sensitive person appear aloof / otherwordly and it might have an effect on their social standing with other people but I would reason that anybody who cannot see the truth of the situation is not somebody worth having as an ally anyway. It's basically like expecting the cutest puppy in the world to want to turn in to a Rottweiller- why would any puppy want to do that, even in the darkest of days?

As for the 'the intelligent, self-sufficient Epicurean bon-vivant who isn't ran over by the tribulations of life', well all they may be nearly the exact same thing as the above but they have made the decision to engage their massive, yet wisely hidden, ego, to enter that battle that might be beneath them. They probably live in a social bubble of lively yet perhaps less well educated hangers on who massage their ego enough for them to never have to face the reality that most people are unfortunately as nice as the world that they inhabit.
    But if their ego wasn't quite as high they might easily become the lonely, senstitive hermit of above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    Lmao. Seriously. Steve Jobs was not a sensitive man, at all. He was a total ******* to basically everyone..

"One thing he wasn't, though, was perfect. Indeed there were things Jobs did while at Apple that were deeply disturbing. Rude, dismissive, hostile, spiteful: Apple employees—the ones not bound by confidentiality agreements—have had a different story to tell over the years about Jobs and the bullying, manipulation and fear that followed him around Apple. Jobs contributed to global problems, too. Apple's success has been built literally on the backs of Chinese workers, many of them children and all of them enduring long shifts and the specter of brutal penalties for mistakes. And, for all his talk of enabling individual expression, Jobs imposed paranoid rules that centralized control of who could say what on his devices and in his company."

"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?" Having received a satisfactory answer, he continued, "So why the **** doesn't it do that?"

"You've tarnished Apple's reputation," he told them. "You should hate each other for having let each other down."

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-every...out-steve-jobs
    These are all true things.

He also broke down into tears when Woz's Dad asked him 'What the **** do you actually do aside from mooch off my son?' (Paraphrased)

He broke down into tears when Sculley decided to flatten his pathetic Coup d'etat of Apple into the floor.

ReputationRep:

I believe it can be an unfortunate trait to have. I'm a sensitive and considerate person, and I would really rather preferred not to have been.

I hope it diminishes as I get older.

It won't necessarily prevent you from being successful, as long as you don't let it get in your way.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.