Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykee93)
    I actually got my prom dress from a charity shop
    I think it was 100% silk or something, really great dress, got it for £25 (They were gonna sell it for like £90, but I was volunteering there on weekends, and my boss loved me )
    Not sure why you got negged for this :lolwut: I got mine from a charity shop too, about £20 I think. I never actually went to the prom in the end, so thank goodness I got it cheap

ReputationRep:
    I did volunteer work in a charity shop before, and while I never found anything for myself, there were some amazing baby clothes that I got for my little cousin. A brand new GORGEOUS Ralph Lauren dress for her for €2... my god. I can't imagine that people actually throw stuff like that away when it's not even worn.

The women who worked there said that it happened quite a bit regularly before the recession hit and a lot of people obviously became much more careful with their money. I don't really shop in charity shops though, to be honest, just for me I don't like rooting, because I work in retail part-time and I don't enjoy shopping as much anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    hahaha a cancer research shop
    Nice one! :P

ReputationRep:
    Probably a few unworn J-Crew virgin wool jumpers and dior jeans..

ReputationRep:
    In terms of what I bought myself, it's probably the £60 River Island jacket I bought for £7.50. Trying to find an opportunity to wear it on a night out xD

In terms of what I've seen...a £350 silk designer fashion top for £10.

ReputationRep:
    A red Jacques Vert blazer for £2.50

ReputationRep:
    I found Duran duran's last CD (or I think it was their last one) from 2004 for £2.50 earlier! A quite decent price!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __IWalkTheLine)
    Hello thrifty folk of TSR

Today I found this

FCUK dress in the Cancer Research shop for 7 pounds; the website said it should have been £115!

This has inspired me to make this thread. What's the best thing you've ever found in a charity or second-hand shop?
    that dress is gorgeous :love: I once found a really nice pair of black high heels for about £3

ReputationRep:
    I think the annoying thing about charity shops is when you find something you would love and dirt cheap, but it's the wrong size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I think the annoying thing about charity shops is when you find something you would love and dirt cheap, but it's the wrong size.
    This. There's only so much I can do with safety pins, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think I've found anything spectacular, but I've found a few nice jumpers and tops over the years.

ReputationRep:
    A full tuxedo/DJ that could have been tailor-made for me for £10.

ReputationRep:
    My prom dress! Green with green polka dots, kind of fifties style, £2.99 :awesome: And some girls spent that much without the decimal point...

ReputationRep:
    £1.75 for a pair of cream patent peak toe shoes! They were in mint condition to!

ReputationRep:
    A pair Ralph Lauren jeans for £21 still tagged

It's the ones that don't fit that breaks my heart hehe

ReputationRep:
    I found a brand new Karen Millen jumper for £10 in my exact size, which would usually retail at around £110 - It's beautiful and I love it

I've also found a velvet dress for £2, and a velvet skirt for £3 (I adore velvet so I was very happy )

ReputationRep:
    Teach yourself bass
    Spanish novel
    French novel
    20p each

ReputationRep:
    I need to get myself down to the charity shops.

ReputationRep:
    Barbour quilted jacket for £8 from a charity shop in pangbourne.

And my mum bought Prada (!!!) Brogues for £50 at the oxfam on King's Road.

ReputationRep:
    Got this H&M dress BNWT last week from PDSA, for £5.99 (admittedly it was only £20 to start with ). Looooovely

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.