You may sho
    w three emotions:

1. Surprise

2. Anger

3. Triumph

Need you any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedesifems)
    er.. any person regardless of gender should share emotions with parents, it's what they are there for.

We live in a macho society, men are supposed to be men, I guess.
    But how does the definition of 'man' encompass anything beyond having a y-chromosome and being considered an adult?

ReputationRep:
    er.. any person regardless of gender should share emotions with parents, it's what they are there for.

We live in a macho society, men are supposed to be men, I guess.
    I'd rather share my emotions with basically anyone other than my parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    But how does the definition of 'man' encompass anything beyond having a y-chromosome and being considered an adult?
    That wasn't my point.

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't my point.
    "men are supposed to be men" - seems like it was exactly your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    "men are supposed to be men" - seems like it was exactly your point.
    I didn't mean it in that context. I meant that as we are a macho society, men are supposed to be as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    ok i dont mean force at gunpoint or anything. technically we are a free society so they could show as much emotion as they like. but i mean more in the sense of there is extreme pressure from peers, family and other people that guys should bottle up their emotions. showing their emotions is a sign of weakness, unmanly, homosexual etc. if a guy shows caring emotions for a girl, he is seen as a nice guy pushover and not manly enough. guys dont speak to other guys about their problems for fear of being ridiculed. for example, if a guy has a problem about his relationship, it'd be embarrassing to talk with your parents or siblings, your male friends would ridicule you and your female friends would view you as a pushover/gay. who else can a guy turn to? only a counsillor but the NHS has a very long waiting list (several months or more) so by the time he sees a counsillor, his problem would probably be over.

why is it seen as so wrong that guys can't show emotion? its not a healthy way of living and suicide rates are much higher among young guys than young girls.
    Because we're guys, we have no emotions :cool:

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.