nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
If he's a QC he won't have done the BPTC unfortunately. Think he'll have done something at the old Inns of Court school of Law but someone more in the know (Nulli maybe) can probably clarify.
The timeline:-

From the dawn of time- 36 dinners spread over 12 terms (3 years). In modern times 12 dinners were deferred until after call so only university finalists had to go up to London to dine. No information as to when dinners became learning exercises.

From mid-19th century-bar exam. This remained much each easier than Solicitors' Finals right up until abolition.

From some time late 19th/early 20th century-compulsory pupillage

By 1950s-requirements to have a clerk and for London barristers to have chambers in an Inn effectively prevented newly called barristers from going solo and forced them to seek tenancies in established sets.

1975-Admission to the Inns primarily restricted to graduates (there was a back-door for mature non-graduates as there is to this day, but it was wider then). CPE created

1978-Original BVC requiring compulsory attendance at ICSL but old bar exam, where tuition was optional, remained available for some years to those not intending to practise in England.

1979 CPE reformed and the Polys get involved.

1989-New BVC

1997-Introduction of BVC providers other than ICSL

2010-BPTC
I love the Bar!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Keep it coming guys... any thought provoking indepth questions? :rolleyes:
Use Err Name
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by I love the Bar!)
its funny you ask that as I am aware through my contact with the Chambers that they are obliged to sensor out the names of unis due to their equal opportunities scheme (common with Human Rights and Civil Liberties Chambers), but this is rare...for most Unis do count... the latter questions are very intriguing, I shall 'defo' be asking those.
Cheers.

How are you finding your work exp so far? I spent weeks looking for last minute placements as I'm applying to uni this year. Finally got 2 places in the last week to spend time at a Chambers and solicitors firm in London, thank god .
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
its funny you ask that as I am aware through my contact with the Chambers that they are obliged to sensor out the names of unis due to their equal opportunities scheme (common with Human Rights and Civil Liberties Chambers), but this is rare...for most Unis do count... the latter questions are very intriguing, I shall 'defo' be asking those.
This applicant got a 2:1 in Greats, sat on the Commem Ball committee and played in the Varsity Match.

I wonder what university he attended :confused::confused:?
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Absolutely, I doubt I even need to ask the barrister his grade, you are correct in saying that any less than a first or at least a 2:1 is inadequate for a chambers such as Doughty Street, how do I know? Well I subscribe to Lawyer2B magazine and their career guide confirms that...
Minimum UCAS points: 360
Minimum degree classification: 2:1

I hope that answers your question
Yeah sorry, I meant that although they will look at 2:1 applicants those making it with a 2:1 are likely the exception, as you put somewhere (sorry, too many posts to quote them all!) they do exist. As you say, she may possess a spark that just made the pupillage committee sit up and a good thing about the Bar is that can happen, as the application process is less mechanistic than that of big, commercial law firms.

For the 2 2010 calls for example we can guess that Niolaus Grubeck has a First as it's highly unlikely, if not impossible, he'd get a Harvard LLM place without it and the other was an Exhibitioner and won an award which indicates she likely has a First. It's just guessing, but informed guessing I hope!

The 2009 call (Ben Pearson) we know has a First as it says so in his profile.

It's also worth noting that, in spite of their very laudable commitment to not looking at universities, all three are graduates of Oxford or Cambridge (though the 2008 is not).

I am intrigued by whether the QC themselves has a First or 2:1 as it seems the educational arms race at the top of the Bar has hotted up in recent years and I suspect candidates with very similar on paper records to the QC themselves at that age may now struggle to get pupillage there.

Not sure about questions really as I'm not looking to go into the Bar, but for you it might be worth asking if they're still glad if their youthful, and possibly more idealistic self, chose civil liberties over a shot at mega dollar at the commercial Bar.

Finally, well done on your mini/work experience/whatever they're calling it
roh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
This applicant got a 2:1 in Greats, sat on the Commem Ball committee and played in the Varsity Match.

Heard a rumour this is excellent prep for being PM, are you secretly running the country?!

Also, thanks for the info on BVC/BPTC, didn't realise it had been running so long so I guess there is a possibility a younger QC may have done it. Robertson maybe less so!
Norton1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I hear the London South Bank Commem Ball was excellent this year.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
are you secretly running the country?!
He is two years my junior!

My contemporary went into local government. I understand he is organising the municipal sports day and fireworks display on Friday, although I believe he has had difficulty getting gatemen and has had to call on the local army cadets.
roh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He is two years my junior!

My contemporary went into local government. I understand he is organising the municipal sports day and fireworks display on Friday, although I believe he has had difficulty getting gatemen and has had to call on the local army cadets.
I believe he was on your course was he not? Managed to fit in some Classics around his busy hacking schedule and a couple of restaurant trashings a year.

Some difficulties apparently, though rumour has it he has commissioned a poem in the style of Pindar, which makes reference to Usain Bolt, to atone for this.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
I believe he was on your course was he not? Managed to fit in some Classics around his busy hacking schedule and a couple of restaurant trashings a year.

Some difficulties apparently, though rumour has it he has commissioned a poem in the style of Pindar, which makes reference to Usain Bolt, to atone for this.
No, he read Greats.

Although one or two of the lawyers of my year have taken silk, it is really too early for them to have found true fame.

Apart from the politicians, most of the names anybody has heard of, have made their mark in the meejia.

Of course, young Hiro of Merton will be Emperor one day, champagne Charlie Althrop made a spectacle of himself telling his sister's ex-in-laws what he thought of them and Ruth Lawrence of St Hughs did some really hard sums.
roh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, he read Greats.

Although one or two of the lawyers of my year have taken silk, it is really too early for them to have found true fame.

Apart from the politicians, most of the names anybody has heard of, have made their mark in the meejia.

Of course, young Hiro of Merton will be Emperor one day, champagne Charlie Althrop made a spectacle of himself telling his sister's ex-in-laws what he thought of them and Ruth Lawrence of St Hughs did some really hard sums.
Ah OK, sorry got confused and thought your post above was your actual CV

Just googled Ruth Lawrence, she sounds like a seriously clever woman!
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)

Just googled Ruth Lawrence, she sounds like a seriously clever woman!
1st week 1st year she turned up late for the first lecture, had to sit on her father's knee, was asked the first question and got it wrong which took the pressure off the other mathmos.

She did FHS maths in 2 years getting the top first but needed to keep 9 terms for her BA so did FHS physics in her 3rd year. She got her first but not the best one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads