Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Nah.
It was a joke :facepalm:
saachi
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Historophilia)
I really don't buy the whole idea that "if women an the world there would be no war" thing. For a start plenty of female leaders take their countries into war or engage in some sabre rattling.

Margaret Thatcher took Britain to war, Indira Ghandi took India to war with Pakistan.

And today, look at Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, not sure you could call her un-war-like.

Personally I'd rather not have the world run by either gender, I'd rather it was run by both together.
Eh, I don't know about it being Indira Gandhi's fault that India went to war with Pakistan. India and Pakistan have been at loggerheads ever since the British divided them just before leaving. In this case, anyway, it's more like the situation that affected the leader's decision. Any male leader would've done the same. That said, we had Maya Vati who was HORRIBLE for the country, she spent all our hard- earned tax money making statues of herself in parks and decorating them with garlands of thousand rupee notes!! I'm not even kidding.
saachi
Report 7 years ago
See, the thing is, the very fact that this question was even raised; 'If women ruled the world...?' makes me kind of sad, because it shows just what a hypothetical notion it really is, because currently we have so many more male leaders in the world than the female ones. The world has been becoming a more liberal and democratic place over the last couple of centuries (I know it's not perfect by any means, it's still a mess, but think of the Dark Ages... shudder), and it's no co-incidence that the more women that come out on the forefront of politics and are given responsibilities, the more balanced and progressive society becomes.

I'm not saying that the controls of the world need to be handed over to women to change the world into a better place, but rather that there needs to be a shift in attitudes. The question is not 'Will the world fare better when ruled by men or by women?', but rather 'What is universal mindset we need to moving towards to accomplish a better run world?' Personally, I feel that there should be a balance between men and women in political and public roles. At the moment, men still greatly outnumber the women, so yes, I feel that there is a dearth of female leaders.

Countries like those in the Middle East are an exception, however, where the sexism against women is so pronounced that the only thing that can overturn the imbalance is if all current leaders were swept aside and replaced by female leaders. That's one case where the oppressed have been ill treated for so long that unless a radical change is implemented, sexism may become an inherent quality of society.

The reason why this question even came about is because the world is still primarily ruled by men. It's still a patriarchal society in most parts of the world, to some degree or another. THAT needs to change.
User414413
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by saachi)
Why do you think there aren't many female leaders in western/free/liberal countries?
saachi
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
Why do you think there aren't many female leaders in western/free/liberal countries?
I never said that there aren't many female leaders in the western/ free/ liberal countries, but rather that there aren't many female leaders in the world. Overall. LEDC's included. The question was 'Women ruling the world', not 'Women ruling the Western countries.'

Naturally, I feel that the comparative balance between male and female leaders in western countries does help them do a better job of governance than the rest of the world.
User414413
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by saachi)
I never said that there aren't many female leaders in the western/ free/ liberal countries, but rather that there aren't many female leaders in the world. Overall. LEDC's included. The question was 'Women ruling the world', not 'Women ruling the Western countries.'

Naturally, I feel that the comparative balance between male and female leaders in western countries does help them do a better job of governance than the rest of the world.
There aren't many female leaders in the west world though. I was literally asking you why do you think that was. Not asking you whether you believe there are many female leaders in the western world. In congress and senate, they hold less than 20%. In house of commons and house of lords, it's a similar percentage (22%). France exact same percentage for national assembly and Senate at 18%. Germany 30% for federal assembly and 20% for federal council.

I don't really think it's true. Why would having females somehow make it better? Is the gender of a person really that important? Also, yes women are associated with certain gender roles like caring and loving which are qualities that people think is good for the world hence would follow that having more women in power might do good. However, one can equally assume that women with such qualities wouldn't get into power. I mean look at the persona of Thatcher, our only female prime minster. She won partly because she didn't fit into these gender roles and fitted into more of the men's gender roles. Same with Merkel who has been dubbed as the "The Iron Frau". Same with Benazir Bhutto.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Busby_Babe)
If women ruled the world they wouldn't declare war on their enemies, they'd just go to the UN behind their back and ***** to all the other nations.
"OMG she is SUCH a cheap *****, did you see what she was WEARING at the G7, that SAME dress from Topshop that she wore at the Copenhagen summit, like I know it's the era of austerity and everything but COME ON???"

"nooooo you serious? that is soooo tacky lol! Apparently she got off with an arms dealer at the afterparty, I think she took a payload of weapons of mass destruction haha lol"

"OMG what a **** no wonder she didn't want to sign the non-proliferation treaty LOL"
User414413
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
"OMG she is SUCH a cheap *****, did you see what she was WEARING at the G7, that SAME dress from Topshop that she wore at the Copenhagen summit, like I know it's the era of austerity and everything but COME ON???"

"nooooo you serious? that is soooo tacky lol! Apparently she got off with an arms dealer at the afterparty, I think she took a payload of weapons of mass destruction haha lol"

"OMG what a **** no wonder she didn't want to sign the non-proliferation treaty LOL"
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If women ruled the world, there would be no wars... Because they would be renamed as 'cat fights'....

Stupid statement=stupid response
username818763
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Strawberrycayk)

Women already rule the world. (Apparently)
There are currently 20 female heads of government in the world, Germany,Liberia,India,Argentina, Bangladesh,Iceland,Lithuania,Cos ta Rica,Trinidad and Tobago,Australia,Slovakia,Brazil ,Kosovo,Thailand,Denmark,Switzer land,Jamaica,Mauritius,Serbia and Malawi. There are officially 206 sovereign nations in the world. Which means that women only run 10.3 % of the world (20/206). Most of these countries aren't even close to be world powers.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by High VOLTAGE)
So i've been hearing this a lot lately 'If women ruled the world (as in ruling countries) then they would do better than men because all men are inherently violent and aggressive'
I think it's utter stupidity, your gender does not matter, what matter is your morals and ethics. There have been good male leaders and bad male leaders. There have been good female leaders and bad female leaders.

Look at some of the war warmongering women in positions of power today e.g. Merkel and Clinton.

Discuss.
there's something hot about women who dominate :teehee: :sexface:
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Judging by the fact that women generally are more emotionally driven I'd say it would be a bad idea.
gemnomnom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Busby_Babe)
If women ruled the world they wouldn't declare war on their enemies, they'd just go to the UN behind their back and ***** to all the other nations.
Lol yes :P
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by High VOLTAGE)
So i've been hearing this a lot lately 'If women ruled the world (as in ruling countries) then they would do better than men because all men are inherently violent and aggressive'
I think it's utter stupidity, your gender does not matter, what matter is your morals and ethics. There have been good male leaders and bad male leaders. There have been good female leaders and bad female leaders.

Look at some of the war warmongering women in positions of power today e.g. Merkel and Clinton.

Discuss.
How is Merkel a war monger? she hasnt invaded anywhere lately? and all the foreign deployments of german troops are under NATO or the UN...
Also Clinton doesnt have the authority to declare war on anyone.
Strawberrycayk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arnoob)
There are currently 20 female heads of government in the world, Germany,Liberia,India,Argentina, Bangladesh,Iceland,Lithuania,Cos ta Rica,Trinidad and Tobago,Australia,Slovakia,Brazil ,Kosovo,Thailand,Denmark,Switzer land,Jamaica,Mauritius,Serbia and Malawi. There are officially 206 sovereign nations in the world. Which means that women only run 10.3 % of the world (20/206). Most of these countries aren't even close to be world powers.
How did you miss the sarcasm in my post :| I wasn't actually saying that women rule the world, I was cracking a joke. :facepalm2:
username818763
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How did you miss the sarcasm in my post :| I wasn't actually saying that women rule the world, I was cracking a joke. :facepalm2:
Should have made your sarcasm more obvious for people like me
Cephalus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm I think women would do a better job to be honest
Strawberrycayk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arnoob)
Should have made your sarcasm more obvious for people like me

Haha I don't think anyone got the joke so no worries!
username818763
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha I don't think anyone got the joke so no worries!
A lot of people did, you got 7 negs
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
Judging by the fact that women generally are more emotionally driven I'd say it would be a bad idea.
Yeah totes babe and they'd get distracted every time they saw a pair of nice shoes and paint all the nuclear war heads pink.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.73%
No (153)
74.27%

Watched Threads