Olympic Swimming Thread Watch

Dagnabbit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Muesca)
I really want Lochte to take it but I can't see phelps losing, he looked awesome this morning, made it look so easy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Not sure if serious.

I wasn't that surprised that Phelps wasn't in the medals given his performance in the heats. Credit to Lochte but you can see from the world record line that Phelps was way below form. I'm still sure he'll get a medal somewhere but I wouldn't bank on gold unless his best events are still to come. Does anyone know what his best events are supposed to be? In 2008, it was hard to tell.

Not sure if Vollmer knows how close she was to breaking the world record there!!
ROYP
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What's up with the weird jackets the American swimmers are coming out in? They look like crazy scientists
Brachioradialis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The fact that Phelps holds the WR (and has kept it) in the event he describes as his worst (he almost didn't race in it), that shows the quality he had and hopefully still has.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think we all knew Phelps would not win this, hes not prepared properly for the longer races. He will be fine in the 100 and 200 but in the 400 Lochte will take them. Lochte was immense today brilliant swim and thats bet one out the way in the bag. Also Li Shiwen was sensational taking on Elizabeth Bliesel. Shame Stephanie Rice didnt win but she hasnt been the same since the shoulder injuries
TRS-T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do they call it freestyle instead of front crawl?
manupalace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TRS-T)
Why do they call it freestyle instead of front crawl?
I think it's because you can do any stroke you want but as front crawl is the fastest stroke everyone chooses that (there is therefore no point in separate front crawl races)
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dissapointed team GB didn't get a medal in swimming today

I really thought we'd get a bronze in the women's relay
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dagnabbit)
Not sure if serious.

I wasn't that surprised that Phelps wasn't in the medals given his performance in the heats. Credit to Lochte but you can see from the world record line that Phelps was way below form. I'm still sure he'll get a medal somewhere but I wouldn't bank on gold unless his best events are still to come. Does anyone know what his best events are supposed to be? In 2008, it was hard to tell.

Not sure if Vollmer knows how close she was to breaking the world record there!!
Phelps best event is the 200m Butterfly , 100m Butterfly and 200 individual medley. The 200 fly is his best though, he didnt prepare enough for the longer races and he knows it combined with the fact its his worst event. People do need to relax though he should still win around 3-4 golds
Muesca
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't see phelps losing
*hides*
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
*hides*
Haha was a silly thing to say in the 400m where i knew Lochte would dominate. He shouldnt lose in his favourite events apart from possibly to the Japanese guy i think it is.
Ocassus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Phelps will bounce back.

It was very funny watching the Thorpedo practically in tears when being interviewed by Gary though.
Manchester United
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I thought Lochte would win. However, we must not dismiss the great Phelps. I'm confident he will come back and perhaps claim a gold or two. He needs to get it together!

Lochte 1 - 0 Phelps.

roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Awesome swim by Lochte, never even looked in trouble!

However, still think he could lose the 200 IM to Phelps, the 200 back's just a painful event to swim 20 mins beforehand and at half the distance Lochte's superior conditioning shouldn't have as much impact. Troy does seem to take that Florida squad to hell and back through the year so he may be able to do it.

Surprised Sun Yang's not getting more mentions, he went .06 off the real WR (Biedermann's just doesn't count in my opinion) and with a glide, though Thorpe had one in 2002 too I suppose.

Ye Shiwen's last 100 was just mindboggling, apparently only 3 1 hundredths slower than Lochte split in the men's! If she keeps improving she could steal Missy Franklin's position as the future queen of women's swimming.

Any thoughts on tomorrow? Adlington big British attraction but Muffat probably the favoruite in that? Anyone get ahead of Aus for the Men's 4x100? Can Sjostrom give Vollmer a decent race in the 100 fly/Gandy snatch a bronze?

And for those of you haven't see it yet, Call me Maybe by the US team!
Toppy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm seeing the heats on Tuesday. Very excited. I swim quite a lot myself but I don't know much about the professional sport. Who should I be watching out for?

I see:

Men's 100m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 200m Butterfly - Heats
Men's 200m Breaststroke - Heats
Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay - Heats
Marlo Stanfield
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Disappointed for Hannah but she gave it everything and that's fair enough, the Chinese just crush through all sports.
manupalace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm guessing the world records set in the supersuits still count :confused:
TheMagicRat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MattKneale)
I think a lot of people will take too much away from this-- Phelps hates the 400 IM, its his worst event so don't rule him out of the others!
Well done to Lochte though, amazing!
I didn't see the race so can't comment on that but people do generally tend to over react when a sporting champion fails once. In some cases it's almost like they're waiting for them to fail so they can pounce.
roh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Toppy)
I'm seeing the heats on Tuesday. Very excited. I swim quite a lot myself but I don't know much about the professional sport. Who should I be watching out for?

I see:

Men's 100m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 200m Butterfly - Heats
Men's 200m Breaststroke - Heats
Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay - Heats
100 free look out for James Magnussen (AUS) and errrm Magnussen really. He's that much better! Nathan Adrian (USA), James Roberts (AUS) and Cielo (BRA) are the other that come to mind. If you swim a lot to give you an idea of the speed of these guys Magnussen's PB from earlier this year is 47.10.

Women's 200 fly probably Ellen Gandy, genuine Brit medal hope.

200 breast. Kosuke Kitajima (Japan), probably the greatest breastroker ever, and his big rival Daniel Gyurta (Hungary). Kitajima's team mate Ryo Tateshi is also pretty good.

Men's 4x200. Sadly a lot of the big stars (notably Phelps and Lochte) will likely be rested for the Heats but Yannick Agnel may be swimming for the French team. USA, France and China are the squads to watch out for.

Very jealous!

(Original post by manupalace)
I'm guessing the world records set in the supersuits still count :confused:
Sadly, yes. I think some national bodies (USA swimming maybe) abolished them for NRs but the FINA WRs from 2008 and 2009 still stand.

All the textile and supersuit times are compared in a good article here.
drummer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sun Yang was a legend lol, walking out onto the platforms like a boss.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stephanie Rice what a shame, really feel for her its so obvious her shoulder injury has affected her. She was close to tears in the interview afterwards and it was really horrible. The fact she even made the finals was amazing with her shoulder problem but people in Australia are giving her grief now for pitty sake. Sometimes i think we are awful losers when it comes to sports, mentality is gold or your a failure. Hopefully she does better in the 200m IM which is her best event.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.56%
No (99)
74.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed