Overweight and happy? Watch

abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nombo)
Simple question: do you think someone can genuinely be overweight and content with their body? I know there's a lot of celebs advocating being happy with your shape, but I don't know, I'm tempted to call that bullpoop. Is anybody overweight (size 14+??) and okay with it? I'm not, and I still feel annoyed with my flab sometimes.
I'm not overweight either, but still feel like looks-wise, I look too big and need to lose weight. I'm also constantly dieting and exercising. It's a sad commercial world that we live in!

However some people are size 14+ and completely happy with their bodies. You can be a size 16 and still completely in proportion, especially if you're quite tall. Curves can look good, and being a little overweight is not necessarily unhealthy.

Those with a BMI that is closer to the top end of healthy, (say, 25) tend to live longer than those lower down the scale (19ish). Fat stores are there for a reason At the end of the day if you're healthy it is possible to be happy with your body because it means it's doing its job.
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The fact is if overweight people could press a magical button that would magically give them an athletic figure, they would. They therefore aren't happy but merely wish to appear so. Being overweight is equally as bad as being underweight, yet underweight supermodels are lambasted whereas fat "plus sized models" are celebrated. It's essentially encouraging people to be overweight at a time when we already have far too high a proportion of people that are obese or at the very least overweight.

You might even say that because we have so many fat Britons today, the media and so on pander to their needs to try and make them feel better about it, rather than make them realise how damaging it is and how bad it looks. Hence the fat models and criticism of anyone skinny. :rolleyes:

I myself have been fat before, and have been underweight, to the point that I was almost hospitalised. Neither is something to aim for, obviously, but now I am slim, somewhat athletic, and far happier than I could ever have been had I remained the fat kid.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know of anybody who is overweight and genuinely likes being overweight. You get people who don't want to make the effort to lose the weight, and so they claim they're okay as they are, but they're not really....they just don't want to make an effort as I say.
nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
But, people who are overweight and happy with it, we live in a world of media,and it's bad, but we do live in it. How do you see pictures of slim bodies and healthy people and not want to conform? Perhaps I'm just a narrow-minded, dogmatic teenager, but I don't understand how you could be that size when there's a better size to be?
missychick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by observatory)
i think it's a trade-off of ugliness vs eating lots. Some people don't mind being ugly and really like eating, so they're happier on balance.
loooooool
Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it's bad to be happy with yourself, but I think we need to stop kidding ourselves that being overweight is ok, especially when there's an obesity epidemic in the country.
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's a flaw if you can't be both overweight and happy. Happiness is subjective; there is more to it than just a person's size - the fact that they are overweight probably tells you that they don't see it as being a significant factor in their happiness. Of course, being overweight will affect your health which itself has a significant correlation with happiness, but if a person is eating what they want and would be happier not living a very healthy lifestyle (the OP mentions being a size 14 which is hardly going to lead to this individual being detrimental to the NHS), who are we to say that they shouldn't be happy?

It seems that if somebody who is in worse shape than oneself but is happier with their body than them, there is a problem with the other person :rolleyes: As long as they're not too unhealthy so that taxpayers suffer, who is society to say that a person should change how they look, just to please other people? If they're happy, then what more can we want? It's society's problem. I wouldn't be happy with being overweight, but some people would. This is my problem.
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by abc:))
Those with a BMI that is closer to the top end of healthy, (say, 25) tend to live longer than those lower down the scale (19ish). Fat stores are there for a reason
Not sure this is true. Caloric restriction is one of the best ways to extend your lifepspan (Probably because of the resultant basal metabolic rate, which is lower than if you eat more).
King Kebab
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want to be overweight because I am so skinny.
AlmostChicGeek
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am overweight - I'm not happy. I am trying to change it, and whilst I do, I am trying not to hate myself every time I look in the mirror. I.e I am trying to focus on my good points - 'be happier' whilst trying to lose the weight.

There is nothing wrong with essentially trying to be happy with what you have as you try to change it, my life would be one big depressive spiral if I didn't at least try to accept myself, and accept the fact that losing the weight I need to lose won't happen over night, and not beat myself up about the fact that it isn't an instant thing.

Therefore, I think as long as you are trying to get to your healthy weight, there is nothing wrong with trying to be happier with your current weight.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmlkey)
Not sure this is true. Caloric restriction is one of the best ways to extend your lifepspan (Probably because of the resultant basal metabolic rate, which is lower than if you eat more).
Possibly, I could be wrong this is just what I've heard
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think very many people would rather be overweight than a healthy weight, but some (many?) are fairly content and not to bothered by the fact that they are over weight. And many staying over weight makes them happier than putting the work in to lose weight does.

I don't think its nessiserially a lie as such if they aren't particularly bothered and would dislike the effort required to make themselves smaller then they are happier being overweight than the alternative.

edit: when writing this I was picturing chubby-fatish people in my head not like obese people it might still apply to them but I don't know, I don't think I actually know any.
oodlesofpoodles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm overweight, I'm not happy with my size and I have been changing it. I've dropped a dress size already through exercise and healthy eating. However that doesn't mean I'm not happy with life generally. I am, very happy. My size doesn't define who I am and though it's not ideal I don't think I'm a bad person just because of my weight.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nombo)
But, people who are overweight and happy with it, we live in a world of media,and it's bad, but we do live in it. How do you see pictures of slim bodies and healthy people and not want to conform? Perhaps I'm just a narrow-minded, dogmatic teenager, but I don't understand how you could be that size when there's a better size to be?
to be fair we also live in a world where the media constantly acts like its something to celebrate when plus size models are used, complaining about skinny models is always in the news and ann summers announced a size 16 model ect. (who by the way wasn't a tall curvy 16 she was just plain fat)
Suetonius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. I'm 5'11'' and about 13 stone, and I've stuggled with my weight all my life (was 16 st at 5'7'' five years ago). I disproportionately accumulate fat in my lower body like a woman, and walking isn't fun when your thighs rub together. Especially when it's hot. I look normal, I'm told I'm pretty good looking, but it's particularly annoying because I know that I've done - and do - considerably more exercise than the average person (including those with good genetics, who never seem to gain weight), yet can't get an athletic physique. I've been working out and running/cycling regularly for the past two years, been on various diets, yet can't manage to shed this one last stone of fat.
Smiile
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dont think people are overweight and happy i think they are content with it and just cant be bothered to shift the weight as they are confident regardless of how they look.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not necessarily being happy by being overweight, (unless the act of turning overweight somehow makes you happy) it's not giving a **** about what people think etc...

I do think it is possible. I am not one of these people sadly. Though it does not matter because I'm losing weight and am currently getting happier regarding this as a result.

Yes I used to be fat, and yes I am saying yes to the question....
To the people who are fat and say no because of personal experience, you being sad isn't proof that other people will be sad....

As a 6 foot (+1 inch?) person weighing 88kg, I can say I'm just chubby compared to the snorlax body shape I had before.
Suetonius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Odiem23)
You should count calories - that way you can see why you're not losing weight. Or you could go to an athletics club so you can get a more athletic physique through sprinting & weights e.t.c
Haha. Counting calories has been second nature to me for years. I find it difficult not to do it. I lift weights, but haven't sprinted for a while because of recurrent knee injuries.
nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Well done to you guys who have lost weight! It's a hard thing to do.
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm over weight and I hate it.I am doing something about it though and have lost around a stone and a half so far.I'm aiming to get to the 9 stone mark.

I dont want to be fat and 40!!.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads