Is this a wise choose concerning my spending and rent????? Watch

ANewStudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Full grant in 1981 was enough to live on

They cannot be that poor surely ... or is there another reason that you are on the minimum loan and no grant

Ignore me if I am being too nosey
No they are poor. Poor means can't afford. They could give me like 10 pounds lol but that's it. I got a grant which I don't have to pay(thankGod!) and a loan including tuition fee and that's it. (: Adds up to 28 000 to pay back at the end of the course.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ANewStudent)
No they are poor. Poor means can't afford. They could give me like 10 pounds lol but that's it. I got a grant which I don't have to pay(thankGod!) and a loan including tuition fee and that's it. (: Adds up to 28 000 to pay back at the end of the course.
I am totally confused now

tuition will be 9k per year (loan)

then you can get a grant but if you are entitled to a grant why are you not entitled to a loan too

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 19.28.06.png
Views: 105
Size:  86.8 KB
ANewStudent
Rep:
?
I am totally confused now

tuition will be 9k per year (loan)

then you can get a grant but if you are entitled to a grant why are you not entitled to a loan too

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 19.28.06.png
Views: 105
Size:  86.8 KB
I am trying to click on the pink icon but I can't. Is it possible you post the link instead?

I don't want to take another loan because I have to pay interest which is not what I want. I just think it's wrong.

But the only grant they are offering me is 3575 and that's it. They won't give me anymore after that unless it be a loan with interest. So yeah I am entitled but as you can see it's not a good choice.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But the only grant they are offering me is 3575 and that's it. They won't give me anymore after that unless it be a loan with interest.

So yeah I am entitled but as you can see it's not a good choice.
Ah, I see, it is a decision that you have made; most people have no choice other than to take the loan
Jadrian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
... Photoshop? You know the differences between the windows and osx version of photoshop are neglible? You won't notice any difference. There are a few good pieces of software like final cut pro that are OSX exclusive but there are plenty of other software packages that do the same thing.
A lot of windows laptops and desktops can be made to run OSX (google hackintosh) if you have the right hardware so you can get working drivers.

What are you studying? This seems incredibly dumb (no offense), buying a macbook to be trendy isn't really justifiable. You can get better hardware for much cheaper, it's all made in china anyway.
ANewStudent
Rep:
?
Ah, I see, it is a decision that you have made; most people have no choice other than to take the loan
Only if forced. But in the meantime I will get a Job Godwillingly.
ANewStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jadrian)
... Photoshop? You know the differences between the windows and osx version of photoshop are neglible? You won't notice any difference. There are a few good pieces of software like final cut pro that are OSX exclusive but there are plenty of other software packages that do the same thing.
A lot of windows laptops and desktops can be made to run OSX (google hackintosh) if you have the right hardware so you can get working drivers.

What are you studying? This seems incredibly dumb (no offense), buying a macbook to be trendy isn't really justifiable. You can get better hardware for much cheaper, it's all made in china anyway.
Too late, I've already made up my mind. And plus it's not only for photoshop but for like sony vegas and I wanted more speed and stuff, I thought the Mac would be the best since it has more memory. However thanks for your opinion.
Mbob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am trying to click on the pink icon but I can't. Is it possible you post the link instead?

I don't want to take another loan because I have to pay interest which is not what I want. I just think it's wrong.

But the only grant they are offering me is 3575 and that's it. They won't give me anymore after that unless it be a loan with interest. So yeah I am entitled but as you can see it's not a good choice.
Slightly tangential point, but I heard they were trying to set up some kind of Sharia friendly version of student loans - not sure how far it got though.
ANewStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mbob)
Slightly tangential point, but I heard they were trying to set up some kind of Sharia friendly version of student loans - not sure how far it got though.
Really? I will look it up. But if that doesn't work I can always borrow from Islamicbanks because they do it.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, there is no doubt. I will get a job. Not just a job a really good that pays me enough money like 200 a week. I can already see the money coming in my bank account every week due to my job. So I am not going worry too much about that part.
I presume that this is a skilled job that you have experience in? Most universities recommend working no more than 16 hours a week. If you think you're going to get a job that has reasonable hours, and pays £200pw, then you're going to need to be on £12.50ph.

Good luck with that.
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The more I read this thread the more I think that you are being utterly naive - I'm not even sure why you're even asking for advice if you stick your fingers in your ears with half the points that are being made.

- You say you want a Macbook yet you give no indication of whether it's actually relevant to your course - if it is absolutely relevant and you need to utilise software which you can't get on a standard computer, then fair enough. If not, it's a stupidly unnecessary purchase especially considering you can't afford it.
- You think you'll be earning £200 a week just like that?! No, scrap that - you think you'll get a job just like that?! It's all very well saying 'Oh I can afford if I earn X amount per week' but the reality is that is very unlikely especially as a student on minimum wage working part-time. It's been pointed out that this is unrealistic yet you don't seem to be grasping the reality of your situation.
- Your priorities are a little messed up. Is a flashy laptop really so much more important than being able to afford rent or food or any other expenses for that matter? Fine, you have your reasons for not taking out the loan - but this makes it even more daft to spend so much on a laptop when you have £2-3k less than a lot of students from low-income families - many of whom are struggling themselves. You are underestimating how hard it's going to be. Only spend your money on things that are absolutely necessary and don't spend what you don't have - unless you want to go way into your overdraft - you should see the interest you'd have to pay for that if you go over your limit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads