Name:  tumblr_lx5lqyG19e1qaa7gwo1_400.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  16.6 KB
starkrush
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think a life is wasted anywhere near as much as the above posters set it out to be. Let someone achieves something, anything, but not the most that the person can achieve. Then that person hasn't wasted their life. A wasted opportunity doesn't make a life wasted, a wasting of all opportunities makes a wasted life.

I think that a wasted life is one which ends before that person achieved, literally, anything. I take 'achieve' as having an impact on anyone else's life in a positive(?) way or fulfilling some aspect of a person's character/potential (i.e. doing something significant in someone's, or their own, life).

Also, I simply disagree with the people who link unhappiness to wasting. There can be people with severe mental illnesses, perhaps depression or something that makes them extremely unhappy. Yet, despite this, they can go on to achieve great things. Maybe they don't fully appreciate their significance to other people, but they still have affected others positively and hence not wasted their life. Perhaps Alan Turing, effectively saving thousands in the war but suffering from severe mental difficulties as a result of persecution of his sexuality. He may have been unhappy, but I don't personally see how I can justify his life as 'wasted'.

Edit: I think most posts relate to how a person's life is wasted if they don't do enough for themselves (happiness, fulfilment). While that may be the guideline for how well you're doing with your life, I don't see it as the judgement for how 'wasted' or not a life is, for that includes your effect on others.
khala
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe that no life will be wasted in the MEDCs even if you never fulfilled a dream or were truely happy you may have had a positive affect on someone elses life. Whilst in LEDCs i think it will be more common as they may be starving or dying of illnesses from very young ages.
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One in which the person has forfeited their right to think freely and form their own opinions about the wonders of the universe due to following some ancient, misguided, and wholly misinformed book.

Edit: If you disagree, then by all means neg away, but at least have the decency to say why.
khala
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
One in which the person has forfeited their right to think freely and form their own opinions about the wonders of the universe due to following some ancient, misguided, and wholly misinformed book.
What if it brings you happiness to do so? Also doesn't the law also dictate your actions what if you really wanted to murder as it would make you wanted to would you abid by the law or murder?
DontWantYourBloodMoney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Happiness is probably the most common concept attributed to value of life, so I'd say to be as happy as you can be, and also try to make others happy, without sacrificing your happiness.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pabu)
I believe as long as your happy then you are not wasting your life no matter what it is that makes someone happy.
But doesn't this suggest that one's life is not wasted if they find something that's ultimately useless, but makes them happy (or keeps them amused); for example if someone constantly watches TV constantly, or lives through a character in a game, because that makes them happy. How can you say that isn't wasting your life?
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
hauhauhau
Astronomical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by khala)
What if it brings you happiness to do so?
Said person has never experienced real happiness, only conformity and contentedness. Real happiness can only come to a free mind.
Astronomical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by + polarity -)
hauhauhau
Thank you for that insightful critique.
FrozenCharlotte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One spent being a supporter of Real Madrid :P Jk, jk. No offence to any RM fans.

Seriously speaking...living your life knowing you love someone but not being able to do anything about it, or being too afraid.

Also, a life lived only absorbed by your own things without looking beyond your own nose or ever helping anyone be happy. And any kind of life where you knowingly wallow in your own mediocrity.
Pitt1988
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spending too much time online or in prison.
khala
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Said person has never experienced real happiness, only conformity and contentedness. Real happiness can only come to a free mind.
Yet im not the one with over 1000 posts since june :rolleyes:
Astronomical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by khala)
Yet im not the one with over 1000 posts since june :rolleyes:
Since last June, fool. 3.84 posts a day, according to my "stats" page.

Needless to say, your ad hominem arguments are petty and, frankly, irrelevant.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A life through which the world has not become a better place because of.
PythianLegume
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by starkrush)
I don't think a life is wasted anywhere near as much as the above posters set it out to be. Let someone achieves something, anything, but not the most that the person can achieve. Then that person hasn't wasted their life. A wasted opportunity doesn't make a life wasted, a wasting of all opportunities makes a wasted life.

I think that a wasted life is one which ends before that person achieved, literally, anything. I take 'achieve' as having an impact on anyone else's life in a positive(?) way or fulfilling some aspect of a person's character/potential (i.e. doing something significant in someone's, or their own, life).

Also, I simply disagree with the people who link unhappiness to wasting. There can be people with severe mental illnesses, perhaps depression or something that makes them extremely unhappy. Yet, despite this, they can go on to achieve great things. Maybe they don't fully appreciate their significance to other people, but they still have affected others positively and hence not wasted their life. Perhaps Alan Turing, effectively saving thousands in the war but suffering from severe mental difficulties as a result of persecution of his sexuality. He may have been unhappy, but I don't personally see how I can justify his life as 'wasted'.

Edit: I think most posts relate to how a person's life is wasted if they don't do enough for themselves (happiness, fulfilment). While that may be the guideline for how well you're doing with your life, I don't see it as the judgement for how 'wasted' or not a life is, for that includes your effect on others.
Firstly, it could be argued that the idea of a wasted life being one led in unhappiness can only be applied to people who had the means to be happy, but squandered their chances (for example by not living up to their potential or living a life led by the expectations of others). Therefore, Turing whose unhappiness was caused by depression/the actions of others did not waste his life, but you are wrong to criticise the argument so harshly because it does have worth.

Secondly, it could be argued that Turing's life was a waste: someone else would have invented the modern computer (mechanical computers had been around for a long time) and although it is not his fault that his life was wasted, it still was under the argument of unhappiness: a wasted life is not necessarily the person's fault. Lives being lost is also not necessarily a bad thing if they lived happy lives (so were not wasted). However, this brings up another way to waste a life: removing the life before natural causes have destroyed it/before their full term of happiness is up/before they have reached full potential.
xDave-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess you waste it if you don't use it to do what you want to do. You only live once so you only get one opportunity. But idk, if you wanted to do something bad and didn't do it, is that still wasting it? What if you don't want to do anything, or unable to do what you want? Idk.

It's difficult to say as it requires life to have some sort of purpose, so as to define whether you achieved what is meant to be achieved or not.
khala
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Since last June, fool. 3.84 posts a day, according to my "stats" page.

Needless to say, your ad hominem arguments are petty and, frankly, irrelevant.
You ignored part of my second message only being fair and doing the same
Astronomical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by khala)
You ignored part of my second message only being fair and doing the same
Your message did not even have two parts.

You said: "What it brings you happiness?"

I replied: "It doesn't. It only gives the impression of it." or words to that effect.

:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads