jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get that it's irritating, but I don't really think there's a huge amount you can do. I do think it was rude of her to have shouted and slammed the door after you addressed her politely, but there you go. If they were regularly having loud parties at all times of the night, I'd say you have a point and could reasonably get the police or some form of authority involved. Sadly though, it's just kids playing in the garden in the early morning. Sure it's annoying, but it's hardly criminal.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
And your point is?
that you said shes not overreacting and its similar to your situation. but her reaction is greater than yours and your situation is worse. so how does that show that shes not overreacting. if anything it does the opposite.
CasualSoul
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmmm it's quite tricky because the paretns obviously let them out so that they are not being noisy in the house and so it gives them a bit of a break.....you could try getting ear muffs etc ...I don't know what the council are going to say considering it's just children playing ...but on the other hand ifyou decided to play loud rock music I'm sure they would be one of the first to complain (judging by what you said).

...To summarise..try ear muffs etc if that doesn't work then ring the council...despite w/e the outcome maybe atleast you know that firstly, you tried talking to them so you haven't purposely tried to cause trouble.
Bobsyourteapots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by boba)
that you said shes not overreacting and its similar to your situation. but her reaction is greater than yours and your situation is worse. so how does that show that shes not overreacting. if anything it does the opposite.
you haven't actually explained as to why you believe I am overreacting. These children scream and shout and argue early in the morning every day. I'm sure if you were woken up by the same chavvy children you would eventually get fed up too.
ClaraJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobsyourteapots)
I work full time and love my sleep more than anything. But lately I have been getting more and more irritated by my neighbours.
Every weekend for the past 3 months they have lived here they have let their children play in the garden at ridiculously early times and waking me up when I try to sleep in on the weekends.
Today they let their noisy 3 under 7 children out to play in the garden at 6:45 this morning. In all fairness, my alarm was set for 7 but I don't appreciate being woken up by a child screaming and another singing usher. This has been the situation for far too long and I'm fed up of it. I spoke to the mother this morning politely and explained I work full time and they are noisy when they play, and she started shouting and slammed the door on me.
I'm very tempted to call the council tomorrow and to file a complaint but I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if anyone else has some suggestions?
Hell no you're not!
I had to suffer with screaming kids next door all day! Do it!
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobsyourteapots)
you haven't actually explained as to why you believe I am overreacting. These children scream and shout and argue early in the morning every day. I'm sure if you were woken up by the same chavvy children you would eventually get fed up too.
I don't think being annoyed is over reacting I think thats a natural thing that you can't help. I think that thinking about going to the council about it is overreacting.

they are just playing in their garden in the day time, morning yes but its still the day, at a time that is perfectly normal and reasonable to be awake and playing. if they did this at say 4 in the morning I would think you had more of a case.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think i should tell the story of when i complained about my neighbours' barking dogs. They barked into silly hours of the morning/night and i complained to the council and they did nothing so I wrote to my local MP Barry Gardiner. He wrote to the head of the council and the police and copied me a letter he sent to the council/police. I think my neighbours were threatened with legal action or something and the noise stopped!

And once my neighbours had a crazy party well past the curfew time of 11pm or whatever it is and i complained to brent council and they sent some guy to come round and record it. The guy went to neighbours and asked to turn it down but the neighbours didn't listen. I think loads of people on my road complained and something must have happened because they never did it again!

Moral of the story - complaining works! I hate one of my neighbours. They are like rich nigerian oil tycoons or something and don't work and just sit at home making noise all day. They have regular domestic arguments too . police have been called (not by me) on numerous occasions!
Robertall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it unreasonable to use an angle grinder or other loud power tools at until 8pm in the evening? I always stop at 8.
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should make your own loud noise when you wake up in the week day for work...? If it's early enough :devil:
bellazz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
try one or two times more and if there is no solution, then u can think of the other possible options
DotComBoom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't say that you are really overreacting, I'd say that 6:45 is bordering on unreasonable.

You do occasionally read in the paper though of people who have complained to their council about loud music/children playing etc being played regularly between say 10PM and 6AM.
Retro.spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it was 4 in the morning I could understand but lots of kids get up early and 6.45 is hardly something to complain about unless you've just come back off a night shift and need to sleep. Seems a bit petty for 15 minutes if you ask me...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Sazzy890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, that's not overreacting. You asked politely for her to keep the noise down and you have been perfectly polite by the sounds of it, you're justified as you work during the week. She is the one overreacting, and is being very selfish in my opinion.
Sazzy890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Robertall)
Is it unreasonable to use an angle grinder or other loud power tools at until 8pm in the evening? I always stop at 8.
I believe it's legally after 9, but I personally think that 8 is more considerate despite what the law says. After a long day at work the last thing you want to hear is someone drilling after 8pm
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wurzel)
Where the noise being complained about continues after a warning notice has been issued, the local authority officer may enter the dwelling and confiscate the noise making equipment (obstructing confiscation carries a fine of up to £1000).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads