anthonyfl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by golfpro14)
95% of these idiots leave after S4, so PE tends to become much more peaceful.

Hmmm, I never really thought of PE in that way. Do you get options of what you do at your school, or are you forced to play whatever (football by the sound of it)?
We've played football, rugby, basketball, dodge ball where someone got hospitalised because of their eye (the teacher didn't actually think using basketballs was a bad idea) and gymnastics. Gymnastics was the worst because everyone has to line up to do something which means the whole class is watching!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes... get off your fat bum it's good for you
golfpro14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anthonyfl)
We've played football, rugby, basketball, dodge ball where someone got hospitalised because of their eye (the teacher didn't actually think using basketballs was a bad idea) and gymnastics. Gymnastics was the worst because everyone has to line up to do something which means the whole class is watching!
I hated playing football in PE, because I played it outside school all the time - I'd much rather do something I don't normally do. Dodgeball was IMMENSE - we used soft spongey balls for throwing (basketballs - wtf? :eek:) and yet we still managed to break someone's thumb...

I never did do gymnastics from S1 through S6, even though the school had equipment for it...:confused: If we did, moronic people would have said it was 'gay' or something... :rolleyes:
anthonyfl
Rep:
?
I hated playing football in PE, because I played it outside school all the time - I'd much rather do something I don't normally do. Dodgeball was IMMENSE - we used soft spongey balls for throwing (basketballs - wtf? :eek:) and yet we still managed to break someone's thumb...

I never did do gymnastics from S1 through S6, even though the school had equipment for it...:confused: If we did, moronic people would have said it was 'gay' or something... :rolleyes:
One of our PE teachers was demonstrating gymnastics and fell of the equipment, on her back or neck and paramedics had to come in to take her to hospital. If they can't even do it safely how the hell are we meant to! :eek:)

Football is terrible for me, I can't play it and always get stuck with people who say "awwwww nawwww Anthony's in our teaaaam." Like I want to even be there haha

TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nerd434)
To be honest, I just view it as a waste of time at my school. Nobody takes it seriously, everyone just picks dodgeball and then throw the balls at the teacher. Very productive.

Thankfully for S5 pupils, our school has provided us with a few options. We can do the following in our one period a week:

1. Core P.E - Choose from a range of poorly organised activities.

2. Voluntary Service - No, it's nothing too beneficial to university applicants. None of it involves social interaction, it's merely community service. You go out and plant trees etc. I think it was initially aimed at those with learning difficulties but we all just seemed to hijack it.

3. Essential Cookery - I actually thought this was a good idea. It's aimed at those who will most likely be students and living in their own accommodation. It shows you how to cook up some simple meals in very little time.
The cookery thing sounds AMAZING :rolleyes: I'd have loved to do that for Enrichment instead of P.E in S5
golfpro14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of our PE teachers was demonstrating gymnastics and fell of the equipment, on her back or neck and paramedics had to come in to take her to hospital. If they can't even do it safely how the hell are we meant to! :eek:)

Football is terrible for me, I can't play it and always get stuck with people who say "awwwww nawwww Anthony's in our teaaaam." Like I want to even be there haha
Haha that's hilarious! That'd never happen at my school, the average age of the PE teachers is probably 55+, so they are incapable of demonstrating anything.

Yeah, I know what you mean... Do they make you play in goals? I never understood the concept of making the worst players play in goals - obviously they wouldn't be able to save shots! :rolleyes:
ilovefashion90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it the law that I must do two hours of PE at school every week? I'm going into fourth year. This is just out of interest, I don't want a whole load of people telling me I should be doing PE bla bla bla, because that's not what I'm asking. I am not overweight, I am fit, and I eat healthily. I'm going into S4 in August to start my highers.

Questions

1. Is it the law that I must do PE during S4?
2. Can I opt-out of PE in S5, as I could leave school anyway?
3. Could I ask to study during PE periods instead of doing the class lessons?

Personally I think PE should be more about personal fitness rather than competitive sport, as imagine if maths was a competition where someone in the top class had to play someone in the bottom class? This would surely be deemed unfair and humiliating. That's what I think anyway. Share your opinion!

I'm asking this under scottish qualifications so I have responses relevant to scottish rules/ law.

lol none of the girls ever went to p.e. You'd just bunk and bump into half the class on your way hiding and running from any teacher who could catch you out.
I don't think even the teachers cared about p.e lol it was less useful than pshe.
Norton1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the message of this thread can be expressed in the saying;

"Those who can, teach, those who can't, teach PE"
sherbet_lemons7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellissima)
yes... get off your fat bum it's good for you
There's not really any call for that he's only asking a question.:confused:

We don't have to do it at our school when we do highers OP. A lot of people can't fit it in anyway- for example all my highers except english are six periods which leaves me 1 period when I have PSE.
Could you speak to your pastoral head or your schools equivilent? Our's was quite cool about changing peoples around if they wanted it- lots of people asked for pe to be changed to study and vice versa.

Our school was quite lax about pe anyway though- since christmas this year a lot of us were allowed to just use the time to study. And if weren't doing that we were playing rounders! Very productive.:lol:
Bellissima
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tasha96)
There's not really any call for that he's only asking a question.:confused:

We don't have to do it at our school when we do highers OP. A lot of people can't fit it in anyway- for example all my highers except english are six periods which leaves me 1 period when I have PSE.
Could you speak to your pastoral head or your schools equivilent? Our's was quite cool about changing peoples around if they wanted it- lots of people asked for pe to be changed to study and vice versa.

Our school was quite lax about pe anyway though- since christmas this year a lot of us were allowed to just use the time to study. And if weren't doing that we were playing rounders! Very productive.:lol
sorry
123maz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In our school we were year 11 and had one hour of physcial eduction a week but when we had our exam leave this stopped, i personally dont mind it, we can do many things:
one mile walk
basketball
swimming
use gym equiptment
etc, its not as bad as you make out to be honest, and you need a break from revising all the time, i think we should keep physical education and i dont think you coull opt out as it is compulsary enjoy
golfpro14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellissima)
sorry
I thought it was funny, if its any consolation.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Norton1)
I think the message of this thread can be expressed in the saying;

"Those who can, teach, those who can't, teach PE"
Those who can, do, those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.

is my favoured version^^

I miss PE. I was gutted in 6th year when I didn't get to have any because the afternoons were taken up with practicals for physics and chemistry
deedee123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it the law that I must do two hours of PE at school every week? I'm going into fourth year. This is just out of interest, I don't want a whole load of people telling me I should be doing PE bla bla bla, because that's not what I'm asking. I am not overweight, I am fit, and I eat healthily. I'm going into S4 in August to start my highers.

Questions

1. Is it the law that I must do PE during S4?
2. Can I opt-out of PE in S5, as I could leave school anyway?
3. Could I ask to study during PE periods instead of doing the class lessons?

Personally I think PE should be more about personal fitness rather than competitive sport, as imagine if maths was a competition where someone in the top class had to play someone in the bottom class? This would surely be deemed unfair and humiliating. That's what I think anyway. Share your opinion!

I'm asking this under scottish qualifications so I have responses relevant to scottish rules/ law.
Forgetting about the law, i doubt that the teachers will allow you not to take part, just out of fairness to others. Loads of people hate core PE, when they see that you don't have to do it they'll demand that they get out of it too and it's just too much hassle. Maybe though, I don't know.
A7d8i6l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes because it's part of the national curriculum. It's would be against the law if a school were not to run PE lessons.

Norton1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Slumpy)
Those who can, do, those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.

is my favoured version^^(
That is better.

I'm going to Robin Hood that baby.
anthonyfl
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheFOMaster)
The cookery thing sounds AMAZING :rolleyes: I'd have loved to do that for Enrichment instead of P.E in S5
It sounds much better than PE anyway

anthonyfl
Rep:
?
Haha that's hilarious! That'd never happen at my school, the average age of the PE teachers is probably 55+, so they are incapable of demonstrating anything.

Yeah, I know what you mean... Do they make you play in goals? I never understood the concept of making the worst players play in goals - obviously they wouldn't be able to save shots! :rolleyes:
Yeah, how did you know? :P

However, it's got to the point where I just sit at the side doing nothing while they play theirselves. And the PE teacher is too busy trying to get the girls to play who just all stand there, motionless, in silence, no matter how much the teacher shouts "get moving!"

anthonyfl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilovefashion90)
lol none of the girls ever went to p.e. You'd just bunk and bump into half the class on your way hiding and running from any teacher who could catch you out.
I don't think even the teachers cared about p.e lol it was less useful than pshe.
We'd get suspended for that :eek:

ilovefashion90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We'd get suspended for that :eek:

lol. peak.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads