The Student Room Group

I want to travel around America next year. need help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemini89
Totally disagree though with the food aspect, I thought it was absolutely awful. In the dining car the food was so rubbery, tasteless and overpriced, and served on paper plates (bit weird if you're paying $10/15 for a course)! If you stay in one of the sleeping cabins (like I did) then you have three meals a day for free.....it was free and I still hated it and stopped going to the dining car, so that tells you something! I'm generally easy to please with food, and free stuff usually makes me so happy, but not in this case for sure! Interesting experience in the dining car though since you are sat with other travellers on tables of four - met some really nice and also strange people!

Maybe you had a bad set of meals - often the 'specials' and so on vary. What's more likely though is that we have very different standards. The food on british transport is on the whole absolutely appalling, much worse by comparison. You're lucky to get a soggy pack of sandwiches and a donut!
Reply 21
Original post by Mister Dead
Maybe you had a bad set of meals - often the 'specials' and so on vary. What's more likely though is that we have very different standards. The food on british transport is on the whole absolutely appalling, much worse by comparison. You're lucky to get a soggy pack of sandwiches and a donut!

Can't say I've ever had to buy food on British transport....relatively short journeys in comparison so never been an issue. I honestly wasn't expecting much on Amtrak, but still disappointed. Dessert was OK? :wink:
Reply 22
The STA travel company do trips across america. They have one from New York going to San Francisco, it's around £1500 for about 3 weeks. Looks really good, I'm thinking about booking it for next year :smile:
Original post by green1001
So, I would love to travel around America next summer for 2-3 months. Starting boston/newyork and heading west coast. Has anyone done this before, if so, how much roughly would it cost, is it safe to do alone, and is their a travel company that specialize in this?

I would love to join you dude. Its my dream to travel America just like the film 'Into the Wild'.
Reply 24
Original post by Emma_B
My boyfriend and I travelled up the West Coast and down the East coast last year for just under 3 months, and we spent around £4000 each altogether, including all flights, hotels/motels/hostels (we didn't stay in any dorms so if you do this it may be even cheaper), buses, trains, food, attractions etc. We didn't do any tours, we just did it all ourselves.

We visited LA (staying in Hollywood/downtown/Venice Beach), Las Vegas, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Washington DC, Orlando and Miami.

I'll be happy to give any advice :smile:

Hi Emma

Me and a friend are thinking of travelling around America next year but i am not sure of the best way to do it. we were thinking of doing camp america as this is the cheapest option providing acomo and food etc but unsure as your trip sounds amazing!! did you travel via buses and coaches etc while you were over there/ and how did you know where to start? im so confused. help please. haha

Thanks
Dempsey
I'm from the uk, how do I go about traveling parts of the USA for about 2 months? It would just be me and my partner
Slight situation, I'd like to travel to America in the future and got to places such as Florida and new York. The problem is, is that recently I was arrested for drunk and disorderly but wasn't convicted, charged or fined. I'm not a bad person with no history of crime I was just unlucky and people thought I might have been spiked. I understand since being in the UK I must have a visa to visit and one question is if I have been arrested or convicted of an offense even if it was spent. I have a Community Resolution and the incident is on the police computers up to 5 years. Just wondering whether I am no way allowed into the country or whether this type of incident will have no effect on my visa. Once again I have no background of making a crime or am I a bad person, just unlucky. Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest