Has the media exaggerated the situation in Greece? Watch

sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The human side of it they probably have, the underlying economic ****, no.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some parts they've exaggerated, some they've played down, but with the exception of some parts of Crete the islands are largely the same as they always were.

What's not getting as much attention as it should are some of the amazing self-management and mutual aid structures that have been built without the help of the state.
AntisthenesDogger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No it's not.

If you go to places such as Krete the Cyclades and Ionian Islands, they are better off than the mainland. That's pretty much all.
monk_keys
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/49...-be-any-worse/

20% unemployment, govt. debt at 160% of GDP with no way of paying it off. Not sure what's to exaggerate.

http://www.greekdefaultwatch.com/201...ppoint-in.html

More worryingly, Greece’s market share is declining. In 2005, Greece’s global market share was 1.8%, and that declined to 1.7% in 2011. Its market share in Southern Europe also declined from 9.4% in 2005 to 9% in 2011. So while Greece is receiving more tourists, it is not keeping up with the growth in global tourism or with its neighbors. And so the country is losing market share.

This is a problem, but it is not the major problem. The next line in the table shows receipts as reported by the Bank of Greece. Overall, Greece earned as much from tourism in 2011 as it did in 2005 (modest decline). So while tourism made up 21% of exports in 2005, it made up just 18.6% in 2011 (continuing a steady decline from 25% in 2000). What is more, a euro in 2011 buys less than a euro in 2005: when controlling for inflation, Greece’s 2011 receipts were 20% lower than in 2005.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads

Latest