Paignton
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kkid106)
Q in title
I've merged you thread into a similar thread in the student life subforum. Please see the posts in this thread (up until you post).

But can you be a little specific? Obviously major cities are known for beng nightlife hotspots, so Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol, London and others. Cost of living is obviously important for a student so those cities in the north are, generally speaking, best in terms of cost of living.

Cities with the most number of students will include Manchester (two universities in the City of Manchester, although they are both large, and more universities in Greater Manchester). Glasgow, like Manchester, has a very large student presence (with, as has already been said, the highest number of students outside London). Liverpool has three universities and one or two other Higher Education institutions. Newcastle, having the usual two universities, has a decent, but not massive, student population. However, as it is a compact city centre, and both universities are largely based in the city centre, there is a large student presence. Newcastle might also attract a number of students from Sunderland at the weekend, who travel by Metro, and does attract young people from across the country at weekends.

But then again, some peoples definition of "student city" is quite different and they will favour smaller, perhaps more homely, cities that are perhaps historic and with a strong student presence. Durham, York, Bath or Canterbury for example.
kkid106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about Liverpool?
Is it a good student city?
Kukukichu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about Liverpool?
Is it a good student city?
I'm not a student in Liverpool, but I live in Liverpool and my girlfriend was a student here. It seems as though it's a very student friendly city.
pshewitt1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
bristol for the amazing number of hot girls then of course Manchester has to be there too
py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Same answer as always: any large UK city not named London is fantastic for student nightlife.
StacFace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Newcastle often gets voted number 1 in polls along these lines and it's the only potential uni city I found that seemed to have everything I would want in the city itself or nearby, so I can see why. Other than that most big cities with more than one uni should be good for students - Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham etc.
kkid106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by StacFace)
Newcastle often gets voted number 1 in polls along these lines and it's the only potential uni city I found that seemed to have everything I would want in the city itself or nearby, so I can see why. Other than that most big cities with more than one uni should be good for students - Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham etc.
I went to the Newcastle open day and loved the city. Sadly i didn't like the uni too much
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bangor?
Why not! They have 2 night clubs AND a pier.
Thats right, 2 night clubs :eek:
kkid106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lonelykatana)
Bangor?
Why not! They have 2 night clubs AND a pier.
Thats right, 2 night clubs :eek:
That's not very many
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's not very many
I think that's the point. The member was being a bit facetious.

Though, having said that, in the university/student surveys that seem biased toward towns and small cities, Bangor often rates well.
kkid106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)
The member was being a bit facetious.
I think my sister had that once.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads