UK recession deepens! Watch

Endless Blue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
The name is George.
Nope, it's Gideon I'm afraid. I'm not even particularly anti-Tory, but I can't stand Obsborne - I much prefer Boris. He has the most remarkable ability to strike a rapport with almost all classes :dontknow:
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jesusandtequila)
Not much, to be honest. He's increasing taxes while keeping spending constant, keeps over-regulating the economy. I mean, he's increased the personal allowance...and I suppose he's increasing spending by less than some others.

It's more that the very things people complain he's doing are the things he needs to do but isn't.
Indeed, I'd support more tax cuts (especially in VAT).

What do you think needs to be done?

Unfortunately at the minute there are just no capable politicians to run the country. Dave and Gid are doing a poor job, but would Balls and Miliband be any better?
creak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Other than electricity & gas (boosted by cold) biggest positive contribution to GDP figure came from "government and other services" (0.3%)
Sounds like we need more of that then.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why you afraid for? His name is always spelt as George.
. . .
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not always. After the age of thirteen.
nju
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
you figured wrong then. I cba exchanging messages with you. You're annoying. Bye bye
I'm guessing that you have no clue about what you are trying to argue
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, it's Gideon :teehee:

He was given that name at birth, so as a Conservative I expect him to keep it.

Suits him much better anyway :lol:

Could you imagine your beloved Boris being renamed to.. Matty?

If you insist on calling Gideon George I will insist on calling Boris Matty
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benpearson1)
Indeed, I'd support more tax cuts (especially in VAT).

What do you think needs to be done?
We need to, slowly but surely, move the tax system away from taxing production, investment, income and consumption towards taxing land. At the same time, we need to be reducing government spending by about 20% over the same period to keep it in balance where we have just a single (land value) tax.

In addition, we must allow free exchange to go on unabated, to stop corporate welfare, introduce a resident's income, de-regulate the economy, get out of the EU, we need to break up the health and education monopolies and a whole load more stuff.

If you asked me to write a budget now, I'd say bring in a land value tax at 10% (raising £56bn), then I'd put the personal allowance up to £12.5k (thus making the living wage rate the same as the minimum wage - costing around £15bn), and I'd reduce VAT to 15% (costing £25bn, and I'd like to go lower were it not for the stupid EU minimum tax rates). That closes the deficit by £16bn and puts the tax system in a hell of a lot better place.

Unfortunately at the minute there are just no capable politicians to run the country. Dave and Gid are doing a poor job, but would Balls and Miliband be any better?
Nope nope and nope. They're all useless.
pr0view
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its obvious what we need to do, we will spend our way out of this budget deficit, and because we will spend so much that we will restore investors confidence that was lost due to the sovereign debt crisis... **** Logic
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We need to, slowly but surely, move the tax system away from taxing production, investment, income and consumption towards taxing land. At the same time, we need to be reducing government spending by about 20% over the same period to keep it in balance where we have just a single (land value) tax.

In addition, we must allow free exchange to go on unabated, to stop corporate welfare, introduce a resident's income, de-regulate the economy, get out of the EU, we need to break up the health and education monopolies and a whole load more stuff.

If you asked me to write a budget now, I'd say bring in a land value tax at 10% (raising £56bn), then I'd put the personal allowance up to £12.5k (thus making the living wage rate the same as the minimum wage - costing around £15bn), and I'd reduce VAT to 15% (costing £25bn, and I'd like to go lower were it not for the stupid EU minimum tax rates). That closes the deficit by £16bn and puts the tax system in a hell of a lot better place.

Nope nope and nope. They're all useless.

I don't even know how the LVT works , so I can't really comment on it but from what I've heard it sounds good.

You a Liber?
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
BristolStudent96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is needed to reinvigorate the economy is savage spending and savage tax cuts.
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cut tax, people have more money, people spend more, economy grows. What am I missing here? It seems so easy.
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't even know how the LVT works , so I can't really comment on it but from what I've heard it sounds good.

You a Liber?
http://www.landvaluetax.org/

That's a pretty good starter, but I'm happy to try to answer questions about it. I am indeed a Liber.
Will Lucky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, it's Gideon :teehee:

He was given that name at birth, so as a Conservative I expect him to keep it.

Suits him much better anyway :lol:

Could you imagine your beloved Boris being renamed to.. Matty?

If you insist on calling Gideon George I will insist on calling Boris Matty
Christ almighty...I changed my name after birth because I hated it. Evidently if you are given the name Gideon in the late 20th century you change it. Honestly anyone who calls him Gideon are usually making up for the fact they can't give a decent criticism of him so begin name calling.

Regardless, personally I would demote him and being someone up who can competently run the economy.
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Will Lucky)
Christ almighty...I changed my name after birth because I hated it. Evidently if you are given the name Gideon in the late 20th century you change it. Honestly anyone who calls him Gideon are usually making up for the fact they can't give a decent criticism of him so begin name calling.

Regardless, personally I would demote him and being someone up who can competently run the economy.
I'm hardly hiding behind his name because I can't criticise his faultless economic plan :rolleyes:.

It's a joke. Get over it
Idle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hewitt)
What is needed to reinvigorate the economy is savage spending and savage tax cuts.
Yes and what caused this entire problem? Debt. Let's go lump even more long term debt onto the pile for short term gain? Sounds brilliant.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
Cut tax, people have more money, people spend more, economy grows. What am I missing here? It seems so easy.
Government deficit of 130 billion. And 1 trillion debt. People wont necessarily spend it either especially during a downturn. (Inflation).
BristolStudent96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Idle)
Yes and what caused this entire problem? Debt. Let's go lump even more long term debt onto the pile for short term gain? Sounds brilliant.
You have obviously only read one half of my comment. The spending cuts finance the tax cuts. If taxes and spending is reduced by the same amount it would be fiscally neutral.
yl_llb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh its all *******s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads