Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well done Scotland!

ReputationRep:
    Good!

ReputationRep:
    Wheres Dykwia then ?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They're only doing it because England can't be bothered to. The Scottish always do the opposite and have an irrational hatred, it's rather sad.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why it took so long. I was wondering why they kept calling it a debt. It felt like 99% of Scotland was support of it and it didn't change anything. Just re-defining Marriage. But yea, We Rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    That's what we get from living in a country that hasn't separated the church from the state.
    Technically Scotland does have separation of Church and State - the Church of Scotland is not established like the Church of England is. Though it is to a degree still tied to the CoE through the House of Lords.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm not really that bothered. Not because I don't think gay people should have equal rights (far from it). But because I don't think it should be the place of the state to legitimise a relationship.

And so I disagree with gay marriage in the same way I disagree with marriage (the civil aspects of it that is, not the idea of having a ceremony (religious or otherwise) as a way of confirming your love for one another).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    They're only doing it because England can't be bothered to. The Scottish always do the opposite and have an irrational hatred, it's rather sad.
    No we don´t.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Wheres Dykwia then ?:rolleyes:
    preferably in a hole somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    preferably in a hole somewhere
    Touche
    Although his ummm insightful? input is always amusing for these debates :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Touche
    Although his ummm insightful? input is always amusing for these debates :rolleyes:
    take a look at the latest rubbish hes put on my profile

i said

1. why is homosexuality wrong
    2. why do you have the right to force your views and opinions onto others?
    3. you admitted that gay peoples brains show differences are you saying gay people can change childrens brains somehow
    4.why would gay people bully straight people just because they gained marriage equality?
    5.how do gay people destroy marriage?
    6 how do gay people damage society?
    7. why would gay people be jealous of straight people if they had total equality including marriage?
    8. what straight rights, that are actually rights not your bigoted opinions that are NOT rights, so you have no right to not be exposed to gay people when you are out, you do not have a right not to live near gay people, and you do not have a right to deny gay people the ability to come out of the closet and live fulfilling happy lives, you do not have the right to keep homosexuals away from any child.
    9. why should you not be exposed to homosexuality? just because you dont like it? i dont like right wingers but i dont have the right not to be exposed to them

it said

1. Homosexuality is damaging to society, I don't like it and nor do many other Americans.
    2. Because I want to help protect people and especially children from homosexual propaganda spouted by the left.
    3. Homosexuality is partially genetic, but there are also environmental factors.
    4. Revenge. I have been subject to bullying from gays who are unaccepting of my views.
    5. Because marriage is between a man and a woman and gays getting married devalues the sanctity of marriage.
    6. Gays damage society because they are generally more immoral and they have higher HIV infection rates which puts a major strain on our healthcare systems.
    7. Because being straight is better than being gay.
    8. We as a country should be allowed to decide how marriage is defined and gays are forcing change on us even though few of us want it. We have every right to not be exposed to homosexuality. They should be gay in private.
    9. See above. I don't wanna be exposed to homosexuality and nor do a lot of other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Personally I'm not really that bothered. Not because I don't think gay people should have equal rights (far from it). But because I don't think it should be the place of the state to legitimise a relationship.

And so I disagree with gay marriage in the same way I disagree with marriage (the civil aspects of it that is, not the idea of having a ceremony (religious or otherwise) as a way of confirming your love for one another).
    It's not just a love confirmation though. Married couples are protected by law (financially, medically, and legally). If two gay people are in a relationship and one was injured and had to be taken to the hospital, the other person can't legally be by their side in case of emergencies. Also most companies don't have the same policy for same-sex couples regarding insurance. They don't view it as a lawful union between two people because it's not a marriage.

I can go on, but my point is marriage isn't just about "confirmation of love"

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    Where did you get this idea?

ReputationRep:
    Good on them, hopefully this will set an example that the rest of the UK should follow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    take a look at the latest rubbish hes put on my profile

i said

1. why is homosexuality wrong
    2. why do you have the right to force your views and opinions onto others?
    3. you admitted that gay peoples brains show differences are you saying gay people can change childrens brains somehow
    4.why would gay people bully straight people just because they gained marriage equality?
    5.how do gay people destroy marriage?
    6 how do gay people damage society?
    7. why would gay people be jealous of straight people if they had total equality including marriage?
    8. what straight rights, that are actually rights not your bigoted opinions that are NOT rights, so you have no right to not be exposed to gay people when you are out, you do not have a right not to live near gay people, and you do not have a right to deny gay people the ability to come out of the closet and live fulfilling happy lives, you do not have the right to keep homosexuals away from any child.
    9. why should you not be exposed to homosexuality? just because you dont like it? i dont like right wingers but i dont have the right not to be exposed to them

it said

1. Homosexuality is damaging to society, I don't like it and nor do many other Americans.
    2. Because I want to help protect people and especially children from homosexual propaganda spouted by the left.
    3. Homosexuality is partially genetic, but there are also environmental factors.
    4. Revenge. I have been subject to bullying from gays who are unaccepting of my views.
    5. Because marriage is between a man and a woman and gays getting married devalues the sanctity of marriage.
    6. Gays damage society because they are generally more immoral and they have higher HIV infection rates which puts a major strain on our healthcare systems.
    7. Because being straight is better than being gay.
    8. We as a country should be allowed to decide how marriage is defined and gays are forcing change on us even though few of us want it. We have every right to not be exposed to homosexuality. They should be gay in private.
    9. See above. I don't wanna be exposed to homosexuality and nor do a lot of other people.
    Who's he? Oh god... I can't even begin to...

1. You can stop at "you don't like it." full stop. That's the only reason right? I mean what do we do that possibly can damage society?

2. Because we parade around and make banners about how fun it is to be discriminated and bullied, so more people should join us in return of free sex favors?

3. Partially environmental? What does that even mean? Like I'm gay because I was raised near Chernobyl or something?

4. I don't think it's only the gays who disagree with your views. I think you'd find that most rational people would disagree with your views. Straight, gay, or whatever. What makes you think that you're actually not the one who's bullying us with your assumptions and bigoted views?

5. Sure, a gay marriage between a couple who's been together for over ten years is just ruining the sanctity of the holy institution of marriage. I mean Britney Spears' less-than-a-day marriage and Kim Kardashian's are the perfect example of how marriages should be. Respectful holy matrimonies. Right?

6. Promiscuity is only okay when it's between a man and several women, a woman and several men, right? Also, it's true that gay men are the group most severely affected by HIV. But even if gay men have a higher rate of HIV transmission, there are still more straight people in the world. Yes, maybe the rate is a bit lower, but in terms of number it's of course higher. What puts a major strain on healthcare is those pregnant teenage girls. Not just healthcare, but welfare.

7. ...............

8. If you don't want to be exposed to homosexuality then go live in a cave. Oh wait, there might be homosexual paintings dated back from the cavemen age. Go live under the sea. Oh wait, there might be gay dolphins having sex in front of you. I've got a better idea, move to the moon and live there alone. That way you won't be exposed to homosexuality. Unless you are a closeted homosexual that is. It's the same argument of racist people who "don't want to be exposed to blackness". Seriously dude.

9. Well "a lot of people" can go with you to the moon then. Have fun with your new bigoted colony, if your colony produces gay people just ship them back to earth okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fez)

1. You can stop at "you don't like it." full stop. That's the only reason right? I mean what do we do that possibly can damage society?

2. Because we parade around and make banners about how fun it is to be discriminated and bullied, so more people should join us in return of free sex favors?

3. Partially environmental? What does that even mean? Like I'm gay because I was raised near Chernobyl or something?

4. I don't think it's only the gays who disagree with your views. I think you'd find that most rational people would disagree with your views. Straight, gay, or whatever. What makes you think that you're actually not the one who's bullying us with your assumptions and bigoted views?

5. Sure, a gay marriage between a couple who's been together for over ten years is just ruining the sanctity of the holy institution of marriage. I mean Britney Spears' less-than-a-day marriage and Kim Kardashian's are the perfect example of how marriages should be. Respectful holy matrimonies. Right?

6. Promiscuity is only okay when it's between a man and several women, a woman and several men, right? Also, it's true that gay men are the group most severely affected by HIV. But even if gay men have a higher rate of HIV transmission, there are still more straight people in the world. Yes, maybe the rate is a bit lower, but in terms of number it's of course higher. What puts a major strain on healthcare is those pregnant teenage girls. Not just healthcare, but welfare.

7. ...............

8. If you don't want to be exposed to homosexuality then go live in a cave. Oh wait, there might be homosexual paintings dated back from the cavemen age. Go live under the sea. Oh wait, there might be gay dolphins having sex in front of you. I've got a better idea, move to the moon and live there alone. That way you won't be exposed to homosexuality. Unless you are a closeted homosexual that is. It's the same argument of racist people who "don't want to be exposed to blackness". Seriously dude.

9. Well "a lot of people" can go with you to the moon then. Have fun with your new bigoted colony, if your colony produces gay people just ship them back to earth okay.

he is simply a bigot, i think hes in the closet personally, and of course hes an american republican which explains alot, you will live how i want you to or i will hate you

ReputationRep:
    Go Scotland! I'm so happy for the LGBT community :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fez)
    Have you never run into him? He's an 'interesting' fellow and the resident ultra conservative christian/homophobe on TSR, im sure he'll pop up here eventually ... he's usually attracted to these threads like a fly to honey :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the resident ultra conservative christian/homophobe on TSR
    Iirc he actually claims to be an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    I hope people don't die over this rash decision.
    Is that a threat? Why would anyone die because of a decision to legalise gay marriage unless it was as a result of violence from insane homophobes?

N.B. For some reason hitting quote on your post caused it to attempt to quote something different to that which was displayed, so I've copied the above quote in from your post as it was shown.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.