millybing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Start with something a bit shorter than Tolstoy maybe or you'll only get through two books before the interview!
GrangerDanger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just finished my first year of Russian at Leeds. Er, from what I recall, all I really mentioned on my PS was that I've done lots of Russian history, (GCSE and A-Level), read about the history in my spare time, and did basic Russian lessons during dinner time at high school/sixth form, which showed my dedication as I willing to give up my own time to learn the basics. So read up on the history, learn as much of the language as possible, and if possible, visit the country. And be enthusiastic!

EDIT - Oh, you're in Yorkshire! I dunno how far away from Leeds you are, but there's a Russian Society (SlavSoc) at the uni, and every week they have "U Samovara", where the students and local Russians meet up for an hour or two and drink some tea It's really fun, and you don't have to be a student to go! It won't start up again until September, but if you're near enough you could do that. Also if you're in Leeds, there's a big Russian community here - maybe try and get involved in that? There's a primary school - Baltika - where you could see about volunteering on a Sunday?
iheartdjokovic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can I suggest volunteering with the CCLL link near your area? Here's the website: http://www.ccll.org.uk/ho/ - basically, it's a charity which brings Belarusian children (who speak Russian, and only Russian!) over to England for four weeks for a holiday and a break from the contamination from Chernobyl. It's a really great cause and I've picked up some Russian from working with them - I imagine it'd look good on a personal statement too just an idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads