Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chris_K_93)
Yep I got the 300r. There is a fan on the back and the front, then another attached to the top which is part of the cooler.

I just noticed that the cable from the monitor only fits the motherboard. The 2 connections on the back of the graphics card are bigger. Also, my graphics card apparently doesn't exist. I've put the driver install disk in but it says "We were unable to detect an xfx product at this time". Any idea what to do? Thanks
Oh your talking about the cpu cooler.

is this your monitors cable? Name:  CAVGA-01_VGA_cable.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  38.6 KB

and the connector on the motherboard is this ? Name:  dvi_connector.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  34.5 KB

Did you insert the graphics card into the right slot? And connect up the power supply to it?
Hippysnake
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

I'm looking to build mu own PC for university but I'm unsure of what components to pick and was wondering if somebody could help me out.

I want to use it for Minecraft, The Sims and maybe Skyrim. Also for internet browsing and word processing. I can spend about £800.

I've been looking at the overclocked bundles on scan.co.uk and also threads on here and came up with this:

Optimised - 4.3GHz Within wider safety margins for balanced thermal & acoustic characteristics.
Intel Core i5 3570k, Ivy Bridge, 3.4GHz, Quad Core, 6MB Cache
Corsair H60 Hydro Series - High Performance CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77 Chipset
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP, DDR3, 1600 MHz
Microsoft Windows Home Premium 64 Bit - OEM
650W Corsair Enthusiast Series - Modular - 80 PLUS Bronze
1GB EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC, GPU 900 MHz, 384 Cores, 4212 MHz GDDR5

This comes to £740.21 but I would also need a case.

Is there anything that I should change? Also, what case should I get?

Thanks for any help in advance.
I have to point two things out with that motherboard, seeing as I used it for my recent build.

1) Depending on what CPU cooler you use, you might not be able to use the first RAM slot as the fan may cover it.

2) The motherboard has a habit of checking all memory sources, including those in my mouse (which uses macros). This can delay POST by upto 10-15 seconds.
Chris_K_93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Oh your talking about the cpu cooler.

is this your monitors cable? Name:  CAVGA-01_VGA_cable.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  38.6 KB

and the connector on the motherboard is this ? Name:  dvi_connector.jpg
Size:  34.5 KB

Did you insert the graphics card into the right slot? And connect up the power supply to it?
The connector on the motherboard is this one:

Name:  300px-SVGA_port.jpg
Size:  15.8 KB

The connector you posted is the same as the 2 that are on the graphics card.

That is the cable that I've got.

I think so. The fans are both going. It is in the slot that is labelled PCI Express 3.0 and I have a cable going from the PSU(8-Pin) to the Graphics card (6-Pin).
Jason2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get this.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I think so. The fans are both going. It is in the slot that is labelled PCI Express 3.0 and I have a cable going from the PSU(8-Pin) to the Graphics card (6-Pin).
The motherboard has a few for its integrated system.
I got a similar monitor, should have asked about your monitor, you need this to get the graphics card working properly http://www.ebuyer.com/123974-startec...apter-dvivgamf its a converter for the cable, it can be loose sometimes.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4140#dl
Go here and download the latest patches for everything, as its been in the warehouse for a while

(Original post by Hippysnake)
I have to point two things out with that motherboard, seeing as I used it for my recent build.

1) Depending on what CPU cooler you use, you might not be able to use the first RAM slot as the fan may cover it.

2) The motherboard has a habit of checking all memory sources, including those in my mouse (which uses macros). This can delay POST by upto 10-15 seconds.
he's already bought everything loooooool and built it
Chris_K_93
Rep:
?
The motherboard has a few for its integrated system.
I got a similar monitor, should have asked about your monitor, you need this to get the graphics card working properly http://www.ebuyer.com/123974-startec...apter-dvivgamf its a converter for the cable, it can be loose sometimes.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4140#dl
Go here and download the latest patches for everything, as its been in the warehouse for a while

he's already bought everything loooooool and built it
I think I just caught on to that adapter thing too:

http://driver.xfxsupport.com/public/...NO_DISPLAY.pdf

I read this which says the monitor must be plugged into the graphics card. Also my sister just checked her desktop which she built and found that she had to use one of those adapters too.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think I just caught on to that adapter thing too:

http://driver.xfxsupport.com/public/...NO_DISPLAY.pdf

I read this which says the monitor must be plugged into the graphics card. Also my sister just checked her desktop which she built and found that she had to use one of those adapters too.
loool how can your sister not remember loool

but I linked you the adapter it'll take a day or so, also I do still suggest you update your motherboard and the graphics card once you get it as the current version on the cd's will be outdated. And any other components you have.
It.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Have you connected both 6-pin connectors on the graphics card to the PSU?
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by It.)
What you on about............power cables go from the psu to the graphics card, which he stated he has done and the problem has been resolved.
Chris_K_93
Rep:
?
loool how can your sister not remember loool

but I linked you the adapter it'll take a day or so, also I do still suggest you update your motherboard and the graphics card once you get it as the current version on the cd's will be outdated. And any other components you have.
Thanks for all the help

(Original post by It.)
I just have one cable going from the graphics card to the PSU at the minute.
It.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What you on about............power cables go from the psu to the graphics card, which he stated he has done and the problem has been resolved.
What? Saying the PSU is connected to the graphics card is the same as the graphics card being connected to the PSU, either way the end result is that there is a power cable connecting them both together.

He said there was one cable connecting the two, from which I inferred that only one of the two 6-pin power connecters on the graphics card had been connected.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by It.)
What? Saying the PSU is connected to the graphics card is the same as the graphics card being connected to the PSU, either way the end result is that there is a power cable connecting them both together.

He said there was one cable connecting the two, from which I inferred that only one of the two 6-pin power connecters on the graphics card had been connected.
Not really as the wire comes from the psu so the psu connects to the graphics card

All graphics cards aren't the same, the latest 78xx series has one 6pin connector
It.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not really as the wire comes from the psu so the psu connects to the graphics card

All graphics cards aren't the same, the latest 78xx series has one 6pin connector
I still stand by that there is no particular "way" for the power cable

Yeah, looking at some 7850s I noticed they can have one or two power connectors; my excuse is that I'm more familiar with nVidia
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by It.)
I still stand by that there is no particular "way" for the power cable

Yeah, looking at some 7850s I noticed they can have one or two power connectors; my excuse is that I'm more familiar with nVidia
yes there is, cos graphics cards don't have wires

All 7850's and 7870's all have 1 x 6 pin connectors, think your referring to the 68xx series which have 2.
Chris_K_93
Rep:
?
All working now. Thanks guys.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All working now. Thanks guys.
good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads