The 2012 FOOD AND DRINK OLYMPICS! Watch

TotoMimo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
GOLD: WEETABIX.
I tried to weigh up all pros and cons, and came to the conclusion nothing comes quite as close in terms of flexibility, taste and healthiness. It's the whole package!

SILVER: START.
Like Cheerios on crack.

BRONZE: NOUGAT PILLOWS.
The ultimate breakfast indulgence. Moving from these to the lesser ripoff, Krave, is like going from Fudge Cake to Rice Crackers.

MEDALLISTS IN... TYPES OF MEAT IN A CURRY?
username208984
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm veggie but I'll post from my meat days

GOLD MEDAL: Chicken, the classic, works with all sauces, tastes good and most people enjoy it
SILVER MEDAL: Beef, very versatile and tasty
BRONZE MEDAL: Prawn, I don't like prawn myself, but many do and for it remains a popular choice.

BREAKFAST CEREALS..
Tabers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gold Curiously cinnamon. Yummy yummy cinnamon, I can't get enough of it
Silver Cheerios (or tesco own brand which are just as nice and much cheaper). Simple yet tasty.
Porridge (Does this count?) It's filling and you can make it your own way. Always cinnamon with me and sugar.

MEDALLISTS IN PIE FILLINGS?
Leon Trotsky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think I pulled a cringe muscle reading this thread. Just......... :facepalm2:
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
You still managed to read it though, eh?

I'll answer this assuming "crusted" as opposed to "potato topped" or "crumble"-styles...

GOLD MEDAL: STEAK.
It's the obvious answer, but with onion, with kidney, with whatever, steak is powerful and iron-packed a flavour to match that powerful, buttery pastry.

SILVER: SPICED PEPPERED LAMB.
Or, "Scotch Pie" to you and I. When someone tries it for the first time, they always go, "its nothing like I expected it to taste... In a good way like!!" - the light pepperiness might catch you off-guard, but ... "in a good way".

BRONZE: MACARONI.
A Scottish delicacy, it's a scotch pie without meat and macaroni cheese in its place. Sounds bizarre and utterly overwhelmingly carby and imbalanced... Til ye eat it. Like the lasagne pie, it's a delicious monstrosity.

Medallists in... PLAIN SALTED CRISPS?
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
CHANGE FOR EASIER ANSWER:

What're your medallists for SUPERMARKETS TO DO YOUR FOOD SHOPPING IN, AND WHY?
MelissaJayne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GOLD: ASDA. Because I can go straight after work, so it's the ultimate ease. Also, I can register what I'm gonna buy on my day walking around, get to spot all the top offers. Also, I can clock if something I want is running low on stock and hide it behind products and go back later mwaha. Oh, and 10% discount. And sometimes I can finish just on the right time to pick up all the WHOOPS! And by magic, sometimes products i'd seen and planned on buying, may have accidently, on purpose, been dropped/damaged by me earlier that day so it got marked down. Credit crunch times and all that.

SILVER: MARKS AND SPENCERS. If I could, I'd do my weekly shop here every week. You just get things you don't get elsewhere. It's not about brands at marks, because they do everything better themselves. So many unique purchases. And their celery is on another level. Yeah, swayed by celery *****es.

BRONZE: WAITROSE. Has really wide aisles so you don't get the hussle and bustle, it's such a pleasant shopping experience. Everyone working in there seems to be jolly (PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY GET A 2 GRAND BONUS, SWINES) And they also do meats/proteins a lot of other places don't dare to yet. They're getting better at expanding their options too, lower calorie meals, ready to go foods. Plus, they have all your well established/basic desires.

Medals for BISCUITS TO HAVE WITH A HOT DRINK
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
GOLD: CHOCOLATE DIGESTIVE.
Between the chocolate side and mealy density it withstands dunking like a beast and the hot, melting tea seems to UNLOCK its flavour.

SILVER: MARKS AND SPENCER CHOCOLATE COATED DIGESTIVES.
Otherwise known as blue tinfoil circles of joy, the standard half-coated only beats it due to choco melty fingers!

BRONZE: TIM TAM/ PENGUIN.
Solely for the exceptionally fun TIM TAM SLAM, which is also doable with a penguin. BiscuitSPLODE!

MEDALLISTS FOR MCDONALDS BURGERS?
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Someone do this! I wanna do more of this thread but I don't eat Mcdonalds enough to validly answer that.
Luke0011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay!

GOLD Big mac. Love 'em.

SILVER Mayo Chicken, cos i love mayo.

BRONZE Double Cheeseburger. I love cheese too. I'd be fat if I could eat burgers all the time.

Medallists in: BBQ FOOD?
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GOLD: Minted lamb skewers. They're on sticks, so they're easy to eat. And they take to the bbq really well, that perfect little char. And lamb isn't my favourite meat but in this form, it's heavenly.

SILVER: Sea bass. Wrap it in foil, with some chunky veg and lemon segments. It's actually pretty incredible. People don't cook fish on a barbie nearly enough. It wows people and takes BBQ to the next cooking level!

BRONZE: Burgers in buns. Simple and expected, but worthy of a bronze. I like a good dirty cheap burger bun too, and plenty of ketchup. It just feels, right.

medals in Thorntons chocolates
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gold: Vienesse Truffle, there's really nothing else like them, they're delicious in their own right, and a bag of these means it's Christmas in my house!
Silver: Their white chocolate bar, simple but lovely when there aren't really any decent alternatives in your average corner shop. White choc needs moar love ):
Bronze: Alpini bar, just cause they're lovely.

What about... Meringue based desserts?
Luke0011
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GOLD Lemon Meringue pie. Can't beat a good old classic!
SILVER Pavlova. It's just so fruity, creamy and crunchy, all in one!
BRONZE Eton mess. I really like them.

Medallists in: Ice cream flavours?
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
As soon as Starbucks is mentioned the thread dies for me.

ELITIST TOTO
Luke0011
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TotoMimo)
As soon as Starbucks is mentioned the thread dies for me.

ELITIST TOTO
Edited for you!
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
Luke, you shouldn't have! *ruffles your hair*

GOLD: VANILLA. Default, maybe, but that's the point!! Good vanilla is the blank perfect canvas, the neutral point to gauge all ice creams. No nonsense. So swirls of fudge brownie hob nob apple pie with a gammon steak dinner to hide behind, good vanilla has to be good, which is why if like Cream of Cornish, Mackies or Haagen Dazs, your vanilla rocks, you've cracked it!

SILVER: NEAPOLITAN. For nostalgic greed. Before the days of exotic flavours, the way to get your fix of more than one flavour in one place was the TRAFFIC LIGHTS OF ICE CREAM TOWN!

BRONZE: STRACCIATELLO. Proper gelato needs to be totally coveted and not *******ised with a barrage of nonsense cakes and m&ms and any number of things. Stracciatello is vanilla wrapped in a duvet of the finest fudgey chocolate, and during the night e's rolled around and said duvet is twisted between his legs, round his head, over his face. Then the mere suggestion and crunch of pistachios. It' the subtle decadence the Americans completely misconstrue, trying to emulate by going "MOAR SUGAR!! MOAAAAR COOOKIIIIIES!!". Simply put, it's vanilla with chocolate fudginess but in a way that still knows vanilla is the star!!

MEDALLISTS FOR: DIPPING CHICKEN PRODUCTS?
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GOLD: Chicken Nuggets. They shouldn't be half as good as they are, I mean, they're so cheap sometimes I wonder if it's even chicken in there. But they are glorious and I wouldn't have them any other way. Dipped in a bbq sauce, ketchup, mayo, whatever is your preference. MAGIC. YOU ARE GOLD always believe in your soul.

SILVER: Chicken Selects. So much chicken for little strips. I always get so impressed with how whole and generous and..breasty (the chicken kind) these feel. I love them with sweet chili dip. Though, I can't give them gold as I gotta go to McDs to get them, whereas chicken nuggets are here there and everywhere and equally fantastic all over.

BRONZE: Popcorn chicken. Is it because it's KFC and the Colonel is a Chicken Magician? Is it because they come in an adorable little American Theatre popcorn box? Is it because I love balls?
Is it all of the above? Yes, yes it is.

MEDALS of chocolates from either a Roses/Quality/Celebrations tin
Luke0011
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GOLD: The purple ones in quality street.. Always loved them.

SILVER: Truffles in Celebrations... How i miss them.

BRONZE: Strawberry delight in quality street.

MEDALLISTS OF: fizzy drinks?
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
I'm Going to omit brand to avoid offending poor elitists:

GOLD: COLA.
Who would've thought nut juice would be the worlds most refreshing drink??

SILVER: IRN BRU.
I'm Scottish and I adore orange, bizarre elixirs made from "girders"(cocaine).

BRONZE: TANGO APPLE.
Considering apple flavoured things are usually dire, it's a mystery why this is so addictive!!!

MEDALLISTS IN FLAKE CEREALS?

Medallists in... FLAKE CWREASLS
helen-a-ravenclaw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GOLD: Frosties get the gold for me! They're sweet without being overpowering, have all the crunch of cornflakes but just a bit more fun. Plus the leftover milk is sweet and delicious to drink, so much so that I always put just too much milk on my frosties so I have extra milk at the end of the bowl.

SILVER: I can't remember where I had them, but I do remember a chocolate version of corn flakes that were absolutley delicious. I've only had them once, but they were amazing, turned the milk chocolatley and if I ever see them again I'l be buying up a big box to get me through a few weeks of brekkie.

BRONZE: Good old dependable cornflakes get the bronze for me. They're always in the cupboard, like an old friend you can come home to at the end of the day for a nice comforting hug. They're a classic, so deserve a place in the medals.

MEDALLISTS IN:

Burger toppings/conidments
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
21.43%
No (33)
78.57%

Watched Threads