Greek athlete expelled for racist tweet Watch

Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by I Kant Spall)
Are you kidding me? She's an athlete, not an ambassador or politician. The only people she's going to offend are those who profit off being offended or, perhaps more accurately, make a profit off writing about offended people (leftist publications and so on). It's a manufactured controversy. What kind of world do we live in that people can get banned from international athletic competitions for writing online about a political party that we belong to or making a joke about some people in your country?

What if she wrote a joke about sunburned British tourists on Greek islands? "D'ohoho it's the first time in my life I've ever seen a Englishman that's not burned" or something to that effect? I'll tell you what would happen: nothing.
The Greeks banned her because she was representing her country and as a representative of the Greek Olympic team expressing views that go against the ethos of the team will get her in trouble. Just like she has every right to express her views, the greeks have every right to stop her, as an ambassador for the team, from expressing her views that do not represent the Greek mentality. She claims it was a joke which is fair enough but she should have realised that putting her country into disrepute would be consequential.

Plus she was posting some videos of a the Golden dawn party which is supposed to be like the BNP or something.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can understand people being offended, but I think having her expelled from the Olympics is a bit of a harsh punishment.
.eXe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by I Kant Spall)
She didn't write about starving, homeless Africans. This is just the mental image that you get from your own racial preconceptions. Suddenly all Africans in Greece must be starving and homeless, right? Sunburned Brits made for a fine analogy.
READ the actual joke. It doesn't apply to all Africans so your nonsense about "preconceptions' is wrong right off the bat.

The mental image the joke generates is of poor, starving and homeless Africans because those are the ones you see with mosquitoes and flies atround them. Those are the people she was referring to. Not the freaking middle class and business men.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AverageExcellence)
African isnt a race of people, no more than asian, european or american (could be latin or north).
Yes you're right however, it's clear from the comment that it was aimed at a group of people. That is what I was trying to get at, by the way I negged you by mistake when I wanted to quote you. Feel free to neg me
AverageExcellence
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
Yes you're right however, it's clear from the comment that it was aimed at a group of people. That is what I was trying to get at, by the way I negged you by mistake when I wanted to quote you. Feel free to neg me
Dont worry im not fussed about rep, Im not petty. Although it could be seen as obvious who she was refering to it could still be any number of people. From Egyptions who are arabs to various other races of people. In any other situation it would just be case closed. But seeing as the stakes are very high i think that they've over exaggerated
Sophie_girl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are some people soooooo ****ing stupid?

There is a time and a place for borderline offensive jokes and a few days before the olympics when you are supposed to be representing your country in a good light IS NOT IT.
History98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess overreaction is better than underreaction.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just another example of hypersensitivity whenever race is even mentioned. The 'joke' was inappropriate and offensive but it wasn't racist as such. Particularly since it wasn't directed at any individual.
Why such a harsh punishment?
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a bit of a tough one. On the one hand, it's stupid, unfunny and inappropriate, but it doesn't really seem malicious so it seems like maybe a ban is excessive. On the other, sportspeople, especially when they're in a competition representing their nation, are quite rightly held to very strict standards of conduct because of their positions as role models, so a zero tolerance approach makes a lot of sense.

I always struggle with things like this, because I feel like it's very easy to use accusations of racism to shut down freedom of expression, but on the other you've got to question the value of expression that involves racial slurs.
prog2djent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which part was rascist?
lukas1051
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really don't care about people making these jokes (personal attacks are unacceptable but this is different), however, if you're an Olympic athlete, why would you post it and not think of the repercussions? Moron...
Woffles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
Just another example of hypersensitivity whenever race is even mentioned. The 'joke' was inappropriate and offensive but it wasn't racist as such. Particularly since it wasn't directed at any individual.
Why such a harsh punishment?
LOL an Olympic athlete makes a rather crass and inappropriate 'joke' 2 days before the beginning of the games, and you think the Greek Olympic Association are going to be hunky-dory with letting her go ahead? The Olympics represent the unification of all, regardless of race or background, and comments like the ones she made go completely against this ethos - so the fact that it "wasn't racist as such" means nothing.
GossipGirl86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by .eXe)
Yeah because sunburns are comparable to starving, homeless africans right?
Then tell them to stop procreating from the age of 13 and give them condoms, would be more food to go around if they were stopped from having 500 kids.

This girl shouldn't have said it so publicly but it's just the type of thing you would overhear men saying on a Friday night in the pub.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
.eXe
Rep:
?
(Original post by GossipGirl86)
Then tell them to stop procreating from the age of 13 and give them condoms, would be more food to go around if they were stopped from having 500 kids.

This girl shouldn't have said it so publicly but it's just the type of thing you would overhear men saying on a Friday night in the pub.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Don't quote me again if you're going to post gibberish like this.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Woffles)
LOL an Olympic athlete makes a rather crass and inappropriate 'joke' 2 days before the beginning of the games, and you think the Greek Olympic Association are going to be hunky-dory with letting her go ahead? The Olympics represent the unification of all, regardless of race or background, and comments like the ones she made go completely against this ethos - so the fact that it "wasn't racist as such" means nothing.
So force her to apologise and give her a written warning. No need to ruin years of training over a stupid joke.
.eXe
Rep:
?
So force her to apologise and give her a written warning. No need to ruin years of training over a stupid joke.
Actions have consequences. Simple as that really. if you can't take the heat, don't play with fire.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by .eXe)
Actions have consequences. Simple as that really. if you can't take the heat, don't play with fire.
Of course there should be consequences but the punishment surely must fit the action. Just because race was mentioned does not make the 'joke' racist, simply inappropriate and potentially offensive. There is no need for people to react so hysterically.
Woffles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid that when things get as big as Olympic representation, you're holding your country in disrepute as well as yourself. I guess an apology would seem slightly more scaled to the event but I'd imagine this was done to dispell any possible disruptions during the games. From what i've heard, quite a considerable number of people have already displayed their discontent over this.
RachelSophia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Meanwhile, good for Greek politicians for keeping an eye on the important stuff, like the Twitter accounts of triple jumpers. I can think of literally nothing else in the country that deserves attention.
Hahaha, oh dear...
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Woffles)
I'm afraid that when things get as big as Olympic representation, you're holding your country in disrepute as well as yourself. I guess an apology would seem slightly more scaled to the event but I'd imagine this was done to dispell any possible disruptions during the games. From what i've heard, quite a considerable number of people have already displayed their discontent over this.
She could make a tweet joking about the apocalypse, it being 2012 and all. That way it's an all-inclusive, non-racist dark joke.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.9%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.48%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.23%
It might lead to more bullying (134)
38.51%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.89%

Watched Threads