Should I buy Samsung Galaxy Ace? Watch

Poll: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Ace?
Yes (15)
48.39%
No (16)
51.61%
jmlkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Oh right, isn't there like a plug to hold it in? How much is an SDcard. Could I live without one?
No, you can't, but luckily it comes with one!
And there IS a plug to hold it, it just doesn't work very well. I have literally placed sellotape over mine to stop it falling out all the time.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have it on T Mobile for I think 15.50/month (24 month) Which is pretty much the lowest you'll get. I've seen adverts saying £10/month but they usually revert to something like £17 after 3 or 6 months.

It's a decent smartphone because it's Samsung, however the processor is fairly slow. (800MHz, single core)
The flap covering the micro SD card is a bit flimsy, but I have a case which completely surrounds the phone except for the screen so this is absolutely not an issue for me. The case cost I think £4.

Ace 2 would probably be a better choice, if more expensive.

Also, it's often cheaper to but the phone outright and get a SIM only contract so I suggest you look into that. You can get the handset for £140 or less.
Sir Master of Bate
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No.

Buy this for a 100 - http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...view-50007180/

Much better.
u9wy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmlkey)
And there IS a plug to hold it, it just doesn't work very well. I have literally placed sellotape over mine to stop it falling out all the time.
The plug isn't there to stop the SD card from coming out its there to stop any thing from going in. Once you put the micro SD card in the slot it shouldn't come out unless you press it out. If yours behaves otherwise you probably have an issue with your slot. Also my plug never comes out unless I take it out.
siani-chan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I don't know why people are complaining about the SD card slot, must be a problem with your own phone. I barely have to touch the SD card so I never open the slot.

The phone is okay for what it is - it irritates me in many ways but I am very picky, and despite preferring my old phone because it was smaller (I have small hands, so a big phone is difficult for me to use) this phone is much better for basic use. I'm glad I got it, my friends were trying to convince me to buy blackberrys. :lolwut: (they have all had at least 3 replacement blackberrys in the last year. So. I'm glad I didn't get one!)

Anyway, my contract is around £15 a month with Vodafone, 600 mins, unlimited texts and 50mb Internet. Not that I ever use the minutes, I hate phone calls...

It's a decent phone. Sometimes it decides to stop responding, and I get annoyed with the battery life and having to actually shut down all the applications by hand instead of them just closing when I close the apps but all the new phones are like that anyway so. It's fairly durable, you can get cases for it if you're worried about dropping it.
Thug
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
I got it from 02 a year ago. I'm not sure you can buy them anymore. Yes, at the time it was one of the cheapest smartphones. It has a relatively low resolution screen, though it suits me fine, and other things like not supporting flash despite being shipped with Froyo, because its specs are too low to handle it. Only has a 3mp camera also.

I don't really know about the general consensus regarding people's feelings about the phone (cool points). I had one person ooh and arr over it though because its light and they thought it was an expensive high end phone...:rolleyes:

The galaxy ace is a better phone though (5mp camera for e.g) and last time i looked on 02 it was around £100.
That's a really good price :eek: The price in 02 now, is like £130. What's a 'low resolution screen/flash shipped with froya'. Sorry I'm not very knowledgable in this area Wait which phone are you talking about
Thug
Rep:
?
Really?! Are you sure it comes with it? I've got a nokia memory card, can it fit into the Samsung Galaxy Ace?

(Original post by Manitude)
I have it on T Mobile for I think 15.50/month (24 month) Which is pretty much the lowest you'll get. I've seen adverts saying £10/month but they usually revert to something like £17 after 3 or 6 months.

It's a decent smartphone because it's Samsung, however the processor is fairly slow. (800MHz, single core)
The flap covering the micro SD card is a bit flimsy, but I have a case which completely surrounds the phone except for the screen so this is absolutely not an issue for me. The case cost I think £4.

Ace 2 would probably be a better choice, if more expensive.

Also, it's often cheaper to but the phone outright and get a SIM only contract so I suggest you look into that. You can get the handset for £140 or less.
How come?! :eek: How come they revert it to £17? What do you think about buying it as pay and go? I want the cheapest offer overall. and i'm wanting to keep this phone for a very long time.

Oh right, so is internet slow then? Right so the case allows the memory card to stay in better?

How does Ace 2 upgrade?. And will it last long?

What's the difference between sim contract, and phone contract?

(Original post by Sir Master of Bate)
No.

Buy this for a 100 - http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...view-50007180/

Much better.
That looks very similar. However I've never heard of this. So it may not be reliable. And how is it 'better'?

(Original post by siani-chan)
Yeah I don't know why people are complaining about the SD card slot, must be a problem with your own phone. I barely have to touch the SD card so I never open the slot.

The phone is okay for what it is - it irritates me in many ways but I am very picky, and despite preferring my old phone because it was smaller (I have small hands, so a big phone is difficult for me to use) this phone is much better for basic use. I'm glad I got it, my friends were trying to convince me to buy blackberrys. :lolwut: (they have all had at least 3 replacement blackberrys in the last year. So. I'm glad I didn't get one!)

Anyway, my contract is around £15 a month with Vodafone, 600 mins, unlimited texts and 50mb Internet. Not that I ever use the minutes, I hate phone calls...

It's a decent phone. Sometimes it decides to stop responding, and I get annoyed with the battery life and having to actually shut down all the applications by hand instead of them just closing when I close the apps but all the new phones are like that anyway so. It's fairly durable, you can get cases for it if you're worried about dropping it.
I have small hands as well, but when I picked it up, it seemed okay?

Why you on £15 a month then, if you don't use the minutes. :eek: Go on the £10.10 one.

How long does the battery stay on for?
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
That's a really good price :eek: The price in 02 now, is like £130. What's a 'low resolution screen/flash shipped with froya'. Sorry I'm not very knowledgable in this area Wait which phone are you talking about
Ok, the Ace is £120. I think it would suit your needs op, buy it.
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Really?! Are you sure it comes with it? I've got a nokia memory card, can it fit into the Samsung Galaxy Ace?
Yup, certain. I'm pretty sure any micro-SD card will fit.
siani-chan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

How come?! :eek: How come they revert it to £17? What do you think about buying it as pay and go? I want the cheapest offer overall. and i'm wanting to keep this phone for a very long time.

Oh right, so is internet slow then? Right so the case allows the memory card to stay in better?

That looks very similar. However I've never heard of this. So it may not be reliable. And how is it 'better'?

I have small hands as well, but when I picked it up, it seemed okay?

Why you on £15 a month then, if you don't use the minutes. :eek: Go on the £10.10 one.

How long does the battery stay on for?
It's fine, it's just because my old phone was VERY small (as in, it fit in my hand and I could practically wrap my whole hand around it), and my brother kept suggesting to me to get the S3 but that was just ridiculous, I couldn't hold it.

I've tried arguing with them to downgrade my contract but they're having none of it, so.

I don't really know, if I don't use my phone all day the battery will last all day (but as soon as I text someone the phone yells low battery at me) but if I text on and off, or if I use the internet it's hard to say. 4-6 hours maybe. The battery life drives me insane, but I find the iPhones are the same. I want the old Nokias back, wouldn't have to charge the damn things for AT LEAST 5 days.

I note that I do close my apps all the time, the brightness is turned down and I have ensured any settings that drastically affect the battery life are set to a minimum (backlight, etc), so the battery life is nothing to do with me. If you want to save even more battery life, turn off packet data (internet) when you're not using it.
Sir Master of Bate
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its the best budget phone going. Ranked 10th in the best phones released in the last year.

The maker is fairly new to the UK phone scene, but very popular in Asia.

Why its better - 4" ips screen, more internal memory and a decent single core processor.

If you can stretch to 200 they do a quad core version...
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Master of Bate)
Its the best budget phone going. Ranked 10th in the best phones released in the last year.

The maker is fairly new to the UK phone scene, but very popular in Asia.

Why its better - 4" ips screen, more internal memory and a decent single core processor.

If you can stretch to 200 they do a quad core version...
Show me a variety of sources which show it's ranking is 10th. Thankyou I may consider it, and make a new thread about it.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ham22)
Ok, the Ace is £120. I think it would suit your needs op, buy it.
Ahh right, well thankyou But will the internet be able to use and communicate on websites such as TSR? And Facebook etc? Is it fast?

Yup, certain. I'm pretty sure any micro-SD card will fit.
What otherkinds of memory cards will fit in?

(Original post by siani-chan)
It's fine, it's just because my old phone was VERY small (as in, it fit in my hand and I could practically wrap my whole hand around it), and my brother kept suggesting to me to get the S3 but that was just ridiculous, I couldn't hold it.

I've tried arguing with them to downgrade my contract but they're having none of it, so.

I don't really know, if I don't use my phone all day the battery will last all day (but as soon as I text someone the phone yells low battery at me) but if I text on and off, or if I use the internet it's hard to say. 4-6 hours maybe. The battery life drives me insane, but I find the iPhones are the same. I want the old Nokias back, wouldn't have to charge the damn things for AT LEAST 5 days.

I note that I do close my apps all the time, the brightness is turned down and I have ensured any settings that drastically affect the battery life are set to a minimum (backlight, etc), so the battery life is nothing to do with me. If you want to save even more battery life, turn off packet data (internet) when you're not using it.
Well that's not very good then. Surely there is something wrong with the battery, if you're hardly using it :eek:

I have a nokia currently, and I despise it. Samsung all the way!
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Ahh right, well thankyou But will the internet be able to use and communicate on websites such as TSR? And Facebook etc? Is it fast?

What otherkinds of memory cards will fit in?
Yes, you'll be able to use the tsr app, and the rest of the apps on the market.

Op you're over thinking this, just bloody buy it.

Phones only take microSD cards, its nothing to panic about. Are you chewing your nails and rocking slightly as you type?
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got it on T-Mobile, £15 a month. I don't like it at all. It is sooo slow and crashes all the time. Because it is so slow it can take me forever to just get onto a contact for a short phone call. I'm telling you, if I had to call 999 asap I would be in trouble with this phone! Deleting texts and photos helps the speed but I shouldn't have to do that, I hardly have any on there anyway. I am tempted to just go back to a simple phone and get rid of this.

Camera and price are the only positives I can see. Before this I had the Galaxy Portal, which was pretty much the same phone, so when I upgraded to this I expected a lot more.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

It'll be an introductory offer to get people on the contract.
You can buy pay as you go if you won't use internet much, or send many texts/calls.

Internet isn't slow depending on your location, but opening applications is. The internet is arguably faster than my home internet...as our internet here is awful.

I don't know much about the Ace 2 except that the hardware is upgraded. Processor, screen possibly camera too.

Sim contracts tend to be cheaper as you're not paying over the odds for the phone in addition to the contract cost. Normally the SIM cards are free.

I've heard that the Ace tends to be unreliable after long periods of time. More advanced models like the Si, Sii or Siii will not suffer hardware failure as quickly. But they are much more expensive.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ham22)
Yes, you'll be able to use the tsr app, and the rest of the apps on the market.

Op you're over thinking this, just bloody buy it.

Phones only take microSD cards, its nothing to panic about. Are you chewing your nails and rocking slightly as you type?
I knooo BUT I will be spending good money on it, and I want it to last me. I don't want to regret it likemy last phone, that is why I am extra cautious.

I don't have money growing on trees unfortunately, so to make any decision would be unwise of me. This phone has to last me more than 3 years.

(Original post by Airfairy)
I've got it on T-Mobile, £15 a month. I don't like it at all. It is sooo slow and crashes all the time. Because it is so slow it can take me forever to just get onto a contact for a short phone call. I'm telling you, if I had to call 999 asap I would be in trouble with this phone! Deleting texts and photos helps the speed but I shouldn't have to do that, I hardly have any on there anyway. I am tempted to just go back to a simple phone and get rid of this.

Camera and price are the only positives I can see. Before this I had the Galaxy Portal, which was pretty much the same phone, so when I upgraded to this I expected a lot more.
Everyone else has said that the speed is quite alright. Do you think that's a personal problem with the phone?

When using the phone, do you misclick frequently? I found this to be with my sisters HTC.

(Original post by Manitude)
It'll be an introductory offer to get people on the contract.
You can buy pay as you go if you won't use internet much, or send many texts/calls.

Internet isn't slow depending on your location, but opening applications is. The internet is arguably faster than my home internet...as our internet here is awful.

I don't know much about the Ace 2 except that the hardware is upgraded. Processor, screen possibly camera too.

Sim contracts tend to be cheaper as you're not paying over the odds for the phone in addition to the contract cost. Normally the SIM cards are free.

I've heard that the Ace tends to be unreliable after long periods of time. More advanced models like the Si, Sii or Siii will not suffer hardware failure as quickly. But they are much more expensive.
As I asked above, do you think when using apps like the internet, is it common to misclick, and then you have to wait and get all frustrated?

This is what I am planning to do. 02 are giving £10 to shop. I am going to get refurbished phone from 02 shop (risk) and then -£10 that will come to £100 quid. I am then aiming to use the giff gaff sim and use it as pay as you go. So you think that'sa good decision of me to do?
TheAdequateGatsby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can get the Samsung Galaxy Ace for £7.50 a month for 250 mins, 5000 texts, and 500mb Internet on Talkmobile from the Carphone Warehouse. Great deal if you ask me!

My Gran just got this phone.
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Everyone else has said that the speed is quite alright. Do you think that's a personal problem with the phone?

When using the phone, do you misclick frequently? I found this to be with my sisters HTC.

I dunno if it's a personal problem, I've frequently read comments about it crashing and lagging so I think it is the phone :dontknow: I don't misclick. I mean it's fast enough for me at first, but just like my old phone after a few months it really lags. On my old phone I found deleting everything off it made it faster, so getting rid of all apps, photos and texts.

However, despite my complaints I think for the money it is pretty good. I have a good contract for £15 a month. What I should have done really, which I considered, was sell the phone on when I received it brand new in it's box.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
As I asked above, do you think when using apps like the internet, is it common to misclick, and then you have to wait and get all frustrated?

This is what I am planning to do. 02 are giving £10 to shop. I am going to get refurbished phone from 02 shop (risk) and then -£10 that will come to £100 quid. I am then aiming to use the giff gaff sim and use it as pay as you go. So you think that'sa good decision of me to do?
Samsung smartphone screens are better than HTC (apparently) so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't find it annoying. The SYWPE keyboard is great for typing long words quickly, though it's not so good for shorter words.

Your plans seems OK, but I don't know much about giff gaff or O2 refurbished phones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed