The Student Room Group

Avoiding mugging?

Scroll to see replies

My brother wears two pairs of trousers like say a pair of trackies and jeans over and keeps his phone in his tracksuit so if he ever (which is often) gets approached they know nothing. But im sure you'll be fine and phones and muggings they usually give you insurance tbh the amount of times i've lost mine
Reply 21
If someone gives you ****, don't get up and punk out. Instead, you need to get up in that ass. Leave snickers wrapper, tread on his ass, then leave his ass wide open, so he knows you've been there.
Reply 22
Original post by Barden
Krav Maga's supposed to be best for when your assailant is armed and you aren't, I believe.

You can't underestimate a criminal though. If they're ready to stab you then they have probably been in far tougher situations then you will ever be and they are far more prepared to get what they want.

Basically you will die.

@Last poster: I sweat too much to consider wearing two pairs of trousers :frown:
1. Keep a low profile and don't draw any unwanted attention to yourself
2. Keep all valuables hidden
3. Avoid dodgy unsafe areas
4. Avoid travelling on your own late at night
5. Be aware! A good tip i learnt is that think one step ahead, if you can spot and anticipate a possible threat early you have a chance to avoid it. If not plan a route to escape or a shop/place to run to seek help. So always keep a sharp eye out of your surroundings and be extra alert especially when on your own!

I hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by CasualSoul
dress like A THIEF? ..I'VE never heard anyone robbing a thief before :colone:

This made me :laugh:
But it is actually a very good idea i must say! :biggrin:
Original post by cyfer
You can't underestimate a criminal though. If they're ready to stab you then they have probably been in far tougher situations then you will ever be and they are far more prepared to get what they want.

Basically you will die.

@Last poster: I sweat too much to consider wearing two pairs of trousers :frown:

then why did you ask???
carry a rape alarm and set it off if anyone tried to rob you. equally it's body language as well, keep your head up etc. hit the gym, if you look like your going to cause more trouble than its worth, they won't try anything.
Reply 27
Original post by Barden
then why did you ask???

? I am thankful for everyone's advice here. Although it was fairly useless to tell him it wouldn't work for me, perhaps I needed to reply for social purposes? Not sure really, I didn't mean to be harsh, sorry if I gave that impression.
Original post by cyfer

Would you recommend trying to fight if I get approached by one/two people? I haven't taken any martial arts classes but I'm reasonably fit, fairly tall (5'10") and very heavy for my height (90kg).

As someone with several years of martial arts experience, I would say never to fight unless you really have to. Really have to doesn't mean that you don't want to lose your phone. Muggers only pick on people they reckon they could beat in a fight (either through size, skill or a weapon).

Having said that, if it's just a 14 year old having a go and you're sure you can deal with him and you are sure there is nobody else around, go ahead :P

In any case, advice more complicated than "go for the balls" is generally wasted: on the spot people behave a lot differently to how they would when they might have time to plan. If you want any decent chance in a fight, you really ought to train in a "practical" martial art: perhaps kickboxing, muai thai or karate.
Reply 29
Original post by nickbob00
As someone with several years of martial arts experience, I would say never to fight unless you really have to. Really have to doesn't mean that you don't want to lose your phone. Muggers only pick on people they reckon they could beat in a fight (either through size, skill or a weapon).

Having said that, if it's just a 14 year old having a go and you're sure you can deal with him and you are sure there is nobody else around, go ahead :P

In any case, advice more complicated than "go for the balls" is generally wasted: on the spot people behave a lot differently to how they would when they might have time to plan. If you want any decent chance in a fight, you really ought to train in a "practical" martial art: perhaps kickboxing, muai thai or karate.

Could you recommend anything if I can't find a martial arts group/club in my area?
Reply 30
Original post by Flibble22
Don't move! Their vision is based on movement.

that's from family guy
Reply 31
Original post by cyfer
Cheers, that was great since I am getting an android - the S3 (which is why I am so worried). What's the point of a dud phone though if I won't be using it?

Would you recommend trying to fight if I get approached by one/two people? I haven't taken any martial arts classes but I'm reasonably fit, fairly tall (5'10") and very heavy for my height (90kg).

I'm actually paranoid to the point of thinking of creating a zipped-pocket with velcro mechanism that I can just attach to the inside of any coat or jacket I wear, if the coat/jacket doesn't have an inside pocket.

:s-smilie: Am I just being ridiculous? I'm planning on buying insurance but I wouldn't trust that in any case, they might just say it was my fault or make up some legal bull****.

Edit: Those saying 'don't put it on show' don't realise that I actually want to use my phone for browsing whilst I'm travelling. Can't grip it hard enough to stop someone taking it+running but I guess I can put it away whenever I get to a train/bus stop.

Don't bother fighting, you'll literally be frozen on the spot with fear, and chances are if they're mugging you they're going to have a knife or similar, you don't wanna risk it.

Also, if you are approached don't drag it out, just hand over your stuff, otherwise they may just attack, as I so very nearly experienced.

Just try to stay on main roads if you are out at dark, if all, and try to be with someone when it's dark.

Also, don't think it will be a regular occurance, be vigilent, but don't go around thinking you'll be mugged all the time, if you are, chances are it will be the last time.

I've been mugged before, so ya know.
Original post by cyfer
Could you recommend anything if I can't find a martial arts group/club in my area?

There is almost certainly something going on within walking distance of your house. Most community halls host at least one club running at least one session a week. The usual advice is to sit in (and maybe join in) a few different clubs for one or two sessions and going with your favourite. It would be best to narrow down the options of clubs by deciding which aspects you are looking for in the style. Muai Thai and MMA are brutally effective but lack certain finesse, while other styles focus on competition and sport at the expense of real world effectiveness. Myself, I chose to learn karate because a friend did it also and I just ended up enjoying it and sticking with it. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad clubs that teach ineffective but flashy techniques that are fun and impressive but ultimately useless.

There isn't really a substitute for training at a dojo, and having your technique critiqued, then applying it on a willing partner. However, the next best thing would probably be to get together with a friend who does do martial arts or is otherwise experienced and practice informally.

The best advice I could give over the internet would be just to (in order of preference) A) Submit B) Run and C) Fight without being afraid to fight dirty.
Original post by Barden
Krav Maga's supposed to be best for when your assailant is armed and you aren't, I believe.

Nah, krav maga is really dodgy. There's really no good defence for an armed attacker except to run. Muay thai is probably best for general self-defence. Ironically anything that advertises itself as self-defence is generally pretty bad for it. The best defence in this situation is a good offence. If you know how to actually fight and some thug swings at you, you'll likely be able to disable them.
Reply 34
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Nah, krav maga is really dodgy.

How so?
Reply 35
The most jokes mugging Ive ever heard of is when someone mugged my friend, my friend asked for his sim card back, and the mugger was like ok and gave it back. So If you comply they usually wont do anything. Just dont get angry because that will make them scared and cause them to atack and dont get scared because they will feed on that. If you ask for your sim card back it shows you arent very scared.
Reply 36
The most jokes mugging Ive ever heard of is when someone mugged my friend, my friend asked for his sim card back, and the mugger was like ok and gave it back. So If you comply they usually wont do anything. Just dont get angry because that will make them scared and cause them to attack and don't get scared because they will feed on that. If you ask for your sim card back it shows you aren't very scared. so is probably why the mugger agreed because he himself was scared so just wanted to get away as quick as possible.
Original post by cyfer
Sounds pathetic but does anyone have any tips to avoid mugging?

I'm not talking about things such as not using your phone if you're out at 1 am but if anyone has more advanced tips, it would be welcome.

I've just got an expensive phone for the first time in my life so previously I've never worried about being mugged because I generally don't have £20 worth of items on my person at any one time.

Thanks.

1. Learn to defend yourself (not only will it help you defend yourself to an extent but it will also most definitely boost your confidence at the very least).
2. If you're alone at night, like others have said, try to avoid areas that seem like you might encounter a mugger there.
3. Don't draw attention to yourself.
Reply 38
Is London really that bad with mugging? I live in Queens, like it's pretty ghetto in parts, and I don't think I ever stress about someone trying to rob me.
Original post by Stilo
Is London really that bad with mugging? I live in Queens, like it's pretty ghetto in parts, and I don't think I ever stress about someone trying to rob me.

NAS. Soz for irrelevance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending