What ur trick to study?? Watch

=Keith=
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good advice there Revd.Mike. I do the same thing except the part of explaining things to my mother. Lol if i do that shel get a headache. Even my room is full of charts and post it notes.. and the exercises between the chunks is a VERY good idea. It makes my concentrate more plus I dont have to take out time for workouts.

Another little advice is studying with lamp. Often even in day time i close the curtains and switch on my lamp. It really helps. When u sit down and read ur concentration falls only on ur books and no where else. Even after a study time of 30 mins when u get up and stroll around ur room. Looking at the book open under the lamp is inviting. If the room is dark and lamp is open u tend to stay in that study mood too.
leannemarie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A bit of a random question, if people are revising in blocks, what do they do if they have breaks in between? Because I always find that I don't really do anything that gives my eyes/brain (!) a rest and there isn't much point in having a break! Although I go to get food sometimes!
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i sit on a stool and lean on my wardrobe doors and then have my work on my lap, i usually re-write my notes and use colours on it,(a different colour for each part of a subject) or brainstorms and post it notes round my room.
and i cant have any music or the tv on,coz it distracts me,lol
Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by leannemann)
A bit of a random question, if people are revising in blocks, what do they do if they have breaks in between? Because I always find that I don't really do anything that gives my eyes/brain (!) a rest and there isn't much point in having a break! Although I go to get food sometimes!
I tend to get a bit to eat (important to keep up brain energy lol), watch TV for a short while, read a mag, do a crossword or sudoku, and I like to try and get a quick bit of exercise in, even if it is just a quick run round the flat hehe.
crazygirl4521
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by leannemann)
I let my eyes have a rest lol, reading for long period of time is draining.
shadowfax
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I chew gum while I study to keep awake. Doesn't work as well as real food, but better than nothing
shadowfax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
BTW, could anyone recommend some nice music to listen to while studying? I'm looking for something without beats because they distract me. Currently I listen to SomeFM's new space music station, but even they play songs with lots of beats. Any suggestions?
thats_my_poison
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^how about sigur ros - i find that motivates me pretty damn well
spacedonkey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Also - one of my favourites, even though it annoys my mother no end - I stick pieces of paper all round the house with important notes on them, in places where I know I'll read them, examples have included tha bathroom, my bedroom, the calendar, the toilet, the sofas, the fridge, the kitchen cupboards, all over the place .

One final technique I sometimes like to use, and that's to 'teach' all the information to my mum. It normally goes in one ear and out the other, or she just stares at me blankly, but just by talking it through and explaining it, I find I process the information better and it sticks in my head. It's even better when she starts asking me questions.
Revd. Mike, brilliant tips, but your poor mum!

I've found mnemonics useful where there's a lot of stuff to memorize (when I did Microsoft exams I had to memorize endless lists of protocols :eek:) - got some memory technique books from the library and scored v high as a result.

Ideas like (for numerical info), assign a celebrity to each number 0-9. Then, say you have to memorize the number 9762, with 9 being Jack Nicholson, 7 being Margaret Thatcher, 6 being Victoria Beckham and 2 being Albert Einstein, you construct a scenario or story in your mind involving those celebs in that order. It really works, especially if, like me, you find verbal info easier to remember than numerical.
NickiM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have 15 minute breaks between sessions, apart from at lunch time, when I have an hour off. I usually eat or come online
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
I do it at 4am when theres no distractions
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sitting at a computer with Microsoft Word open, making huge paragraphs into bullet points. Then going through them again and again, making mnemonics. I'll usually try to make it interesting, like making jokes or posters of various battles for History or scribbling Philosophy quotes on my bedroom walls and going around saying them to people
NickiM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I made a ridiculous mneumonic when I had to learn Physics equations at GCSE. It worked though!
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NickiM)
I made a ridiculous mneumonic when I had to learn Physics equations at GCSE. It worked though!
Me too can't remember it all but:

PVT EQV QIT VIR EPT WMG ^VAT FMD DST

Povital equivalence is to quit the virus using the epitath, windows messenger and the VAT are being foamed in the distance.
NickiM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mine has something to do with eggs in Venice!
iz_a_bell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
jack johnson album is a good revision music... although some of my friends say its abit sleepy.

It's calm, upbeat... and generally relaxing for revision!
sweetangel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh i will have to work in total silence as well noise would distract me so much cant really concentrate with music on . so when i revise or work i had to do it properly like sitting on a chair with desk to write on. basically my technique would be listening to my favourite music when i do have a break to slightly relax my senses and let the information to be 'digested'.

omg im exactly like that as well and my mum just stares me blankly lol

<quote>One final technique I sometimes like to use, and that's to 'teach' all the information to my mum. It normally goes in one ear and out the other, or she just stares at me blankly, but just by talking it through and explaining it, I find I process the information better and it sticks in my head. It's even better when she starts asking me questions.<quote>
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My 'trick' is getting unconditionals
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
My 'trick' is getting unconditionals
well aren't you the lucky one :p:

I don't really have any tricks to revision. I'm lucky in that I have quite a photographic memory so I don't have to read things over too many times before I know it well.

I just sit there, books out, notes out and read things over. I sometimes make notes but I find that just seems to waste my time.

For my Psychology AS, I tried revising with a girl from my class. We spent about 2 hours on 4 of the 6 units over a period of about 2 weeks, just constantly going over every little detail til we knew everything and were able to link everything together. That definitely seemed to work, I knew everything inside out. Also, when my results came, I had gotten 100% on the 4 units I'd revised with her and about 85% on the other two.. go figure.
datr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not doing as well as I'd have hoped in my GCSEs has really helped me to revise this time around. I'll just go up to my room with all my books and learn the subjects. It paid of in January.

Are biology teacher taught us this to remember DNA (sung to the tune of row, row, row your boat):

We love DNA,
Made of nucleotides,
A phosphate, sugar and a base,
Bonded down one side.

Adenine and Thymine,
Make a lovely pair,
Guanine without Cytosine,
Would be rather bare.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?