How fit? Watch

KSpin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not too worried about the old press-ups and sit-ups, I know I could improve to the requirement for those, it's just the running bit. :s

I've never been a good long-distance runner.
Shéamais
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)
I'm not too worried about the old press-ups and sit-ups, I know I could improve to the requirement for those, it's just the running bit. :s

I've never been a good long-distance runner.
1.5miles? Long distance? What?
KSpin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes. It's long distance compared to 200m.
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)
Yes. It's long distance compared to 200m.
It's only 10mins of running. Less if you are faster.
big_pd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)
Do you need to be able to pass that on Day 2 of IOT, or by the end of it?
Thats what they expect you to get on day 2. If you don't you get a red mark next to your name and to be honest if you can't pass that then your not fit enough to be at Cranwell! They expect a steady improvement over the 30 weeks. Thjink you do the test 3 times whilst your there!
KSpin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by big_pd)
Thats what they expect you to get on day 2. If you don't you get a red mark next to your name and to be honest if you can't pass that then your not fit enough to be at Cranwell! They expect a steady improvement over the 30 weeks. Thjink you do the test 3 times whilst your there!
Then no, at the moment, I'm not fit enough to be at Cranwell.
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lifepak)
The RAF is bringing out an operational fitness test as well so once you are through Cranwell you will still have to pass a fitness test before you are deployed. If you don't pass this then you get a second chance and if you fail that they will consider your future in the RAF. If you are not fit enough to be deployed than you shouldn't be in the RAF etc etc.Good luck Folks!
Will this be the CFT like the Army (RAF Regt. aswell?) do?
M!ke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DPM)
Will this be the CFT like the Army (RAF Regt. aswell?) do?
It involves running shuttles in webbing and boots, lifting ammo boxes onto 4 tonners, filling sandbags and running with them etc.

Can't remember the exact details as you can tell
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by M!ke)
It involves running shuttles in webbing and boots, lifting ammo boxes onto 4 tonners, filling sandbags and running with them etc.

Can't remember the exact details as you can tell
Not a CFT then.
big_pd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)
Then no, at the moment, I'm not fit enough to be at Cranwell.
You pass as long as you get the 1.5 mile run done in under 11.15 and the minimum press ups etc. My running is **** so i have spent the last few months just doing cv and no weights which has helped loads!
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by M!ke)
That's not true. The minimum requirement for males under 24 is:

Press ups - 13
Sit ups - 35
Bleep test - 9.10
True that is th eminimum because it is only an assessment. But if you get those scores you'll be getting beasted into next week on remedial PT lol.
M!ke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Steve Stifler)
True that is th eminimum because it is only an assessment. But if you get those scores you'll be getting beasted into next week on remedial PT lol.
Many people in the RAF struggle to get the mimimum. In fact many more people than you think fail it all together!
zav
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
RCB min is 44 press-ups and 50 sit-ups 2min to do each.

10.2 on the MSFT

http://www.army.mod.uk/rcb/mb/phys.htm

Look here if you want details
Stefanovitch
Report 12 years ago
I currently have several colleagues at the current No1 IOT.
One of them has completed the London Marathon in about 3hrs 45mins and before he attended IOT after Uni, he decided not to get a job but just join a gym and work really hard on his fitness for about 6 months.
Every day he was in the gym, yet when he got to IOT he still felt like he wasn't fit enough.
The fitness levels that they expect from you are high and can't be developed in a few months. It takes constant training and one of their first assessments is to compare your scores with what you obtained at OASC. If you haven't improved on this then it will be looked upon very badly.

The key is to practice all of the above over and over again. Focus on incorporating sit ups and press ups into your fitness regime so that you know what maximal effort is all about and on the day you can prove your determination.

Stefanovitch.
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by M!ke)
Many people in the RAF struggle to get the mimimum. In fact many more people than you think fail it all together!
Not really acceptable is it? What is the RAF doing about it?
M!ke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Steve Stifler)
Not really acceptable is it? What is the RAF doing about it?
Not alot. Nothing really comes of it. Remedial PT for some people. They don't get less money or anything, and they can get exactly the same detachments as a person that has passed with flying colours. Bit unfair really.
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by M!ke)
Not alot. Nothing really comes of it. Remedial PT for some people. They don't get less money or anything, and they can get exactly the same detachments as a person that has passed with flying colours. Bit unfair really.
Yep, seeing as the army is cracking down and booting people out for failing to get upto the standard.
big_pd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I feel if people aren't able to reach the required fitness levels then they should be kicked. If you are unable to reach the minimum levels stated then you must be bloody unfit or just lazy!

I used to be able to get level 11 on the bleep test and piss the press ups etc when i weighed nearly 18 stone and just sat in the pub. I really don't get how people can't pass it.

I have trained for a few months now and lost a couple of stone and increased my bleep test level to 13 without killing myself and I am certainly not a runner or a gym freak!
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by M!ke)
This may be true, but personally I find it hard to believe. That kind of score would get you in the Royal Marines!

I know obviously you have to be fit and many people are that go to IOT, but I think you're exaggerating it a little. I may be wrong and if I am then I will accept that, but isn't the whole idea of IOT to get you fit for service, not for you to be superman and getting almost triple the minimum requirements of the RAFFT on day 2? After 9 weeks of RTS and 9 months at Cosford doing PT 3 times a week, I wasn't getting that kind of score! How can someone be expected to get that on day 2?
Marines run 1.5 in under 8 minutes - 7 ideally. they'd be expected to (post initial training) run it in under 10 mins, with full kit. So under 10, is nowhere close to RM standards. Not that it's difficult to beat 8,1/2 mins anyway.

Exagerating? If you can't hit 60 press ups and 80 sit ups in 2 minutes, after 9 weeks RTS and 9 months Cosford then that's shameful. That is not a tough standard to achieve.

Because Officers have to do the job of the workers and more! They are expected to get higher scores, on everything.
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by big_pd)
I feel if people aren't able to reach the required fitness levels then they should be kicked. If you are unable to reach the minimum levels stated then you must be bloody unfit or just lazy!

I used to be able to get level 11 on the bleep test and piss the press ups etc when i weighed nearly 18 stone and just sat in the pub. I really don't get how people can't pass it.

I have trained for a few months now and lost a couple of stone and increased my bleep test level to 13 without killing myself and I am certainly not a runner or a gym freak!
Lol, what's wrong with enjoying making yourself look/ feel better?

I agree, if you can't reach those kind of standards - then it's an attitude problem, not physical.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.36%
No (406)
60.6%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.04%

Watched Threads