Hello,I am from China Watch

Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zhuqx969)
Hi everyone,I am a chinese girl and I want to make friends here. I study English as my foreign language and I would like to talk to you all. Maybe I can tell you something if any of you are interested in China.
What do you think of the Japanese?
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by totallydeflated)
heya,
i would want to live in china someday, but a week ago my friends said it would be uncomfortable because i would be grossly discriminated against because i am black. what do you think?
this question is for the chinese girl.
Hardly any blacks in China at all. You would definitely look out of place.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
Just thinking the same thing! And welcome to TSR, have a welcome :sheep:

Over here we don't have much choice as to what languages we can learn, the only ones i think people have the option of learning are french/german/spanish/russian

and maybe welsh if you live in wales
You can learn all the major languages in England.. including Chinese/Japanese.
zhuqx969
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by FallenRain)
Same here, I'm from HK but i grew up here in UK. Nice to meet u!
Glad to meet u too!
zhuqx969
(Original post by Jerby)
I don't wish to sound patronising, but considering how different Chinese is to English, your fluency is amazing! It makes you realise how bad we are at languages in the UK - I wish I could speak Chinese as well as you speak English!!
Aha, Chinese is not too hard to learn, and speaking chinese is easier than writing chinese words. Maybe you could begin with talking if you want to study chinese. Wish you good luck.
zhuqx969
(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
Just thinking the same thing! And welcome to TSR, have a welcome :sheep:

Over here we don't have much choice as to what languages we can learn, the only ones i think people have the option of learning are french/german/spanish/russian

and maybe welsh if you live in wales
Is that true? I had thought that people could learn almost all kinds of languages in the U.K.
zhuqx969
(Original post by Slinky)
I'm chinese too! But was born here... I learnt Italian at GCSE.. so I guess thats another language to add to your list!
I am sorry, but what is a 'GCSE' ?
Piers-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is that true? I had thought that people could learn almost all kinds of languages in the U.K.
I'll be learning Chinese at university:p: I think what she meant was that Oriental languages, and the like, aren't readily available for most people before uni.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Piers-)
I'll be learning Chinese at university:p: I think what she meant was that Oriental languages, and the like, aren't readily available for most people before uni.
SOAS?
Piers-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Good guess! :P
zhuqx969
(Original post by totallydeflated)
heya,
i would want to live in china someday, but a week ago my friends said it would be uncomfortable because i would be grossly discriminated against because i am black. what do you think?
this question is for the chinese girl.
China is a friendly nation and we don't have racial discrimination here. In cities where a high percentage of people have received college education, you will get a warm welcome by people around you. Sometimes you may meet a person who never see foreigners before, he may feel a little curious at you, but I am sure that this is just curiosity, not discrimination.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
GCSEs are the qualification that the Brits obtain before they do the 'A' levels.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Piers-)
^ Good guess! :P
So.. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff did you do to prepare beforehand (books etc?) and what kind of stuff did you put in your PS.. was it specific or just general about why you would enjoy Chinese? In fact.. could I see your PS? If so you could PM it to me, if not no worries
Piers-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
So.. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff did you do to prepare beforehand (books etc?) and what kind of stuff did you put in your PS.. was it specific or just general about why you would enjoy Chinese? In fact.. could I see your PS? If so you could PM it to me, if not no worries
I am not a mature student, but I do, however, have a 'non traditional' background. Thus, I don't think my personal statement would help you in the least. I can offer some general advice and suggest books to read though - I'll PM you.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi everyone,I am a chinese girl and I want to make friends here. I study English as my foreign language and I would like to talk to you all. Maybe I can tell you something if any of you are interested in China.
Hello and welcome to:tsr2:
Kernel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
On Chinese news/newspapers, do you get a lot of international news, or is it just news from China? Do you hear much about things like the Iraq War/Afghanistan? What about Iran? Are there many Western shows on Chinese TV? Do you get much Western music? Is Chinese music any good? Do you have Ipods in China? Do many people own one? What do you think about China's high level of executions (highest number of executions per year in the world, it performed more than 90% of all the world's executions in 2004)? Would you like to see China become a democracy, or do you prefer the present system? Are you using Windows on your computer? What do Chinese people eat for breakfast?
Slinky
Report 12 years ago
I'm 18 years old and I still go to chinese school... haha. But I can speak cantonese fluently.. I guess because I've grown up speaking it at home. It's quite good knowing another language!
Slinky
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kernel)
What do Chinese people eat for breakfast?
I had sausages this morning! Ok so I do live in Britain.. and there's hardly anything else to eat.. haha
speedstacker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi! I'm a Malaysian but currently staying in Scotland. Nice to meet u! I always want to know some one from China! I can speak and write chinese, Malay, and English!

having Chinese as my mother tongue I think learning chinese language is easier than English because we don't need past or prescent tenses!! ( do u agree?)

Being able to speak good English is not easy. Being able to understand different kind of accents is much more harder:p: (i experience this)
Inquisitive
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It stands for the 'General Certificate of Secondary Education'. It's one of two major public exam stages of high school in the UK, the other one being 'A-level', which is 'Advanced Level'. Both stages take place during the last four years of high school.

Basically, this is similar to the college entrance examination for high schools in China: 高考.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads