UKIP - Does anyone take them seriously anymore? Watch

shyopstv
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its hardly a suprise that your other polices gets ignored - you hardly ever talk about them! If you look at your website, the front page is nearly all EU this, EU that. The Greens never get mentioned for anything other than their policies on the environment and surely you can't say that the BBC hates them too?
Greyhound02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shyopstv)
Its hardly a suprise that your other polices gets ignored - you hardly ever talk about them! If you look at your website, the front page is nearly all EU this, EU that. The Greens never get mentioned for anything other than their policies on the environment and surely you can't say that the BBC hates them too?
No, we do talk about them, but the media choose not to offer a balanced coverage, that's really not UKIP's fault at all.

Your green argument is really flawed. I wasn't saying that the media/ BBC hate all parties it can pigeon-hole as a one issue party, which is what your response suggests, I was saying the BBC specifically hates UKIP because the BBC is a pro-EU institution, I'd bet the BBC loves the greens.
Johnny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Greyhound02)
No, we do talk about them, but the media choose not to offer a balanced coverage, that's really not UKIP's fault at all.

Your green argument is really flawed. I wasn't saying that the media/ BBC hate all parties it can pigeon-hole as a one issue party, which is what your response suggests, I was saying the BBC specifically hates UKIP because the BBC is a pro-EU institution, I'd bet the BBC loves the greens.
Duh, how thick are you?

If the BBC "loves" the Green's so much, how come they, like UKIP are pigeon-holed by the BBC and the media in general?

The BBC treats the Greens almost always as a one-issue party, just like UKIP, despite apparently "loving" them so much.

Syopstv's point was perfectly valid, so I'll make it again: "The Greens never get mentioned for anything other than their policies on the environment and surely you can't say that the BBC hates them too?"
Greyhound02
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Johnny)
Duh, how thick are you?

If the BBC "loves" the Green's so much, how come they, like UKIP are pigeon-holed by the BBC and the media in general?

The BBC treats the Greens almost always as a one-issue party, just like UKIP, despite apparently "loving" them so much.

Syopstv's point was perfectly valid, so I'll make it again: "The Greens never get mentioned for anything other than their policies on the environment and surely you can't say that the BBC hates them too?"
I'm thick enough to be studying BSc government at the 11th best university in the world, or to put it another way, not thick in the slightest. Since we seem to be playing "lets ask stupid questions", how thick are you?

My general impression is that the BBC treats the Greens with more respect, and gives them more favourable coverage and on a broader range of issues than UKIP, so I don't really accept the assumption of your question that the BBC pigeon-hole both the Greens and UKIP (at least to the same extent).
Johnny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm thick enough to be studying BSc government at the 11th best university in the world, or to put it another way, not thick in the slightest. Since we seem to be playing "lets ask stupid questions", how thick are you?

My general impression is that the BBC treats the Greens with more respect, and gives them more favourable coverage and on a broader range of issues than UKIP, so I don't really accept the assumption of your question that the BBC pigeon-hole both the Greens and UKIP (at least to the same extent).
Does a study in government allow you to work out how to change a flag setting on an internet forum? Because it obviously doesn't enable even half of the students on that course at LSE to get a graduate level job... (destination information for LSE students of Social Policy)

And not that it's any of your business, but I have A's in French, German, History, Economics and General Studies, and am going to study French and Russian at the 54th best uni in the world. OH NO wait, I must be thick as two short planks then, since my degree is at a *lesser* institution and therefore lacks any rigour. Remind me again, exactly what is the study of "government"?

But anyway, the Greens are given the same treatment as UKIP by the BBC: both are largely pigeon-holed, much as you might like this not to be the case, to lend some credibility to your "left-wing" media-bashing-fest.
Greyhound02
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does a study in government allow you to work out how to change a flag setting on an internet forum? Because it obviously doesn't enable even half of the students on that course at LSE to get a graduate level job... (destination information for LSE students of Social Policy)

And not that it's any of your business, but I have A's in French, German, History, Economics and General Studies, and am going to study French and Russian at the 54th best uni in the world. OH NO wait, I must be thick as two short planks then, since my degree is at a *lesser* institution and therefore lacks any rigour. Remind me again, exactly what is the study of "government"?

But anyway, the Greens are given the same treatment as UKIP by the BBC: both are largely pigeon-holed, much as you might like this not to be the case, to lend some credibility to your "left-wing" media-bashing-fest.
I am perfectly capable of changing a flag setting without resorting to my studies, the fact that I couldn't remember how to do it doesn't mean I couldn't find out how to do it again. Since it's only a poxy little flag on some internet forum I couldn't be bothered to find out, but just for the pleasure of passing your little test I've changed my flag. Have you never forgotten how to do something? That really was a petty and desperate thing to say. I had no idea that being able to perform a simple task on a computer was now, thanks to you, some sort of proxy for intelligence. When I asked you how thick you were I assumed you would realise that I was being sarcastic to illustrate the stupidity of you asking me that question originally, but nevermind. I know it's none of my business what you did at A levels, so I didn't ask, but you chose to tell me, so attempting to reprimand me by saying "not that it's any of your business but..." really doesn't work. As for what the study of "government" is, it's about as bleeding obvious as what the study of "French and Russian" is so I won't bother answering that one. If you're really that interested then ask again and I will indulge you.

If you want to see evidence of the way the BBC treats the pro/ anti EU debate, I suggest you get hold of a copy of a programme they did about 6 months ago called something like "How Euro are You?", it is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about.
Johnny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am capable of changing a flag setting without my studies, the fact that I couldn't remember how to do it doesn't mean I couldn't find out how to do it again. Have you never forgotten how to do something? That really was a petty and desperate thing to say. I had no idea that being able to perform a simple task on a computer was now, thanks to you, some sort of proxy for intelligence. When I asked you how thick you were I assumed you would realise that I was being sarcastic to illustrate the stupidity of you asking me that question originally, but nevermind. As for what the study of "government" is, it's about as bleeding obvious as what the study of "French and Russian" is so I won't bother answering that one.

If you want to see evidence of the way the BBC treats the pro/ anti EU debate, I suggest you get hold of a copy of a programme they did about 6 months ago called something like "How Euro are You?", it is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about.
oooh touchy.

I know that the BBC is largely pro-euro. So what?

The point is that the BBC, from what I can see, pigeon-holes both the Greens and UKIP as mostly single-issue parties.
Greyhound02
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oooh touchy.

The point is that the BBC, from what I can see, pigeon-holes both the Greens and UKIP as mostly single-issue parties.
Yes, I do tend to find that responding to poorly disguised personal jibes in internet forums can make me "touchy".

The "so what" regarding the BBC's pidgeon holing of UKIP is very important because it means UKIP doesn't get a fair hearing from the BBC, given that you also think the BBC is pro-EU, can I assume you agree with me on this? Regarding the Green Party, the BBC is obviously not anti-environment, so it's likely to get a better hearing from them, given the BBC's relative stances on the two main issues of the partie. Do you agree on this?
Johnny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, I do tend to find that responding to poorly disguised personal jibes in internet forums can make me "touchy".

The "so what" regarding the BBC's pidgeon holing of UKIP is very important because it means UKIP doesn't get a fair hearing from the BBC, given that you also think the BBC is pro-EU, can I assume you agree with me on this? Regarding the Green Party, the BBC is obviously not anti-environment, so it's likely to get a better hearing from them, given the BBC's relative stances on the two main issues of the partie. Do you agree on this?
Just because the BBC happens to be largely pro-euro, does not mean that they favour the Greens over UKIP as far as I can see. To be honest the Greens are hardly ever mentioned at all.
Greyhound02
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just because the BBC happens to be largely pro-euro, does not mean that they favour the Greens over UKIP as far as I can see. To be honest the Greens are hardly ever mentioned at all.
Firstly, do you not think that it is unacceptable that a publicly funded institution that is supposed to the politically neutral, like the BBC, takes a stance on these issues? My understanding of public opinion is that around half the public (give or take a few percentage points) want Britain to withdraw, so as far as I'm concerned, the BBC have a clear duty to present both sides of the argument fairly.

Secondly, considering that this pro-EU bias exists, can you not at least accept that the BBC are likely to be hostile to UKIP?
FruitcakeLiz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

And not that it's any of your business, but I have A's in French, German, History, Economics and General Studies, and am going to study French and Russian at the 54th best uni in the world.
*yawn* grow up. Are you not capable of having an adult disscussion without making personal critiscisms and competitions?!
BirchyGreen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Firstly, do you not think that it is unacceptable that a publicly funded institution that is supposed to the politically neutral, like the BBC, takes a stance on these issues? My understanding of public opinion is that around half the public (give or take a few percentage points) want Britain to withdraw, so as far as I'm concerned, the BBC have a clear duty to present both sides of the argument fairly.

Secondly, considering that this pro-EU bias exists, can you not at least accept that the BBC are likely to be hostile to UKIP?
Yes it is unfair. I once phoned them asking why they never have a British National Party representitive on Question Time. My response went something along the lines of 'We dont have minority parties on'. Well imagine my surprise (or not) when the next edition aired and Nigel Farrage from UKIP and some woman from the Greens were on!
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How on earth has no one made the obvious:

"No one takes them serious anymore? When did we ever?!"

jape. I've yet to find it, and i'm a bit dissapointed in you, DnDers.
BirchyGreen
Rep:
?
(Original post by BirchyGreen)
In light of Mr Cameron's remarks, and the laughable recent by-election hammerings suffered by the party, are UKIP still taken seriously? Were they ever?

Obviously in the last European elections they capitalised well on the Euro-sceptic public opinion but it seems that ever since then the party has imploded. I have no doubt that Mr Kilroy-Silk played a major part in their election success, but without him i cannot see them doing as well next time around. They seem to be caught in no-mans land in between the Tories and the BNP. Are they a party who will only ever do well in European elections?
See bold
Johnny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FruitcakeLiz)
*yawn* grow up. Are you not capable of having an adult disscussion without making personal critiscisms and competitions?!
No. But I suspect that I might stand a better chance if I knew exactly what a "disscussion" was.

PS. And kudos for the ultimate irony; is not "grow up" a personal criticism (NB. note the correct spelling of criticism as well)?
Johnny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh that was pretty funny actually.

But anyway I have always seen UKIP as a bit of a joke, but now that they are sans Kilroy-Silk I haven't heard a peep for ages, apart form a lot of ranting about David Cameron's remarks which, by-the-by, I mostly agreed with. Nowt on the policies front though except the age-old line: "oh but Europe is bad for us". pfffst.

It is quite possible that they have sunk below joke status; disappearing (as it were) off the political radar.
Aagin, see bold.
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I stand corected, sorry lads!
FruitcakeLiz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's propaganda and miss representation of Uk politics, that's what.
BirchyGreen
Rep:
?
FruitcakeLiz....are you a UKIP supporter?! In the light of Cameron's remarks that would be quite fitting!
Johnny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who is Miss. Representation?

Your standard of English is repeatedly poor; "grow up".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise