Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Alevels have to be so much harder than gcses? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    We were all told at the start of 6th form that the only way to achieve an A at A level was to put in a lot of extra study, and by relying on only what the teacher's gave us, the most we could hope to achieve is a C.
    They lie.

ReputationRep:
    For all the reasons stated above; to test you and because they can. I mean they know how easy GCSEs are so they're not gonna let you get away with it just like that

For me the hard bit was having to figure out how to learn the things I was taught. Success definitely lies on you putting extra time in and practising exam questions. But having a good teacher will make the transition easier, trust me. I had the same difficulty with workload, you just get usedto it!

ReputationRep:
    The only reason why I'm finding A-level hard is because of the style of the questions and their respective mark schemes. I am fine with expressing myself, and my maths is always accurate, but I always lose a mark for not using one specific word, or for not stating the rearranged equation. Silly little niggly things like that! The actual content (at AS at least) is basically GCSE with little snippets dropped in here and there (except for Maths, which actually has structure, making it really exciting!!).

ReputationRep:
    Why do Alevels have to be so much harder than gcses?
    To prepare you for university. If A Levels were the same difficulty as GCSEs we'd have even more people ending up with straight As and if universities accepted people with the correct grades people would either struggle on the course or the course would have to be dumbed down.

Well my mom thinks that A levels are a lot harder than doing a degree so at least they only take 2 years!
    Why do people think this? If the 1st year of a degree was easier than A Levels wouldn't universities bump everyone up to skip a year, so they could be earning a year earlier? Lots of people say universities 1st year is good, because the exams don't count towards anything providing you pass them, meaning its like a big party a lot of the time, but looking at what I have to study next year its not going to be plain sailing.

I find the studying required for A Levels less than, and easier than, GCSE's. I do far less work than I did before.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go to your college!

ReputationRep:
    With GCSEs I thoguht they were hard while I was studying them, but I only know one person who did worse on their GCSEs then expectedm this is because they are easy with very low grades boundaires. In my IT and Food exam I didn't ahe a cluse on any of the answers and got As. I don't know anything about religon, but got an A* in RE. This is not because I was spoon fed anything , it's just becasue they are easy. People go into their A Levels thinking exams are easy (because they did better than expected at GCSE) and then have a massive shock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theresa Smells)
    With GCSEs I thoguht they were hard while I was studying them, but I only know one person who did worse on their GCSEs then expectedm this is because they are easy with very low grades boundaires. In my IT and Food exam I didn't ahe a cluse on any of the answers and got As. I don't know anything about religon, but got an A* in RE. This is not because I was spoon fed anything , it's just becasue they are easy. People go into their A Levels thinking exams are easy (because they did better than expected at GCSE) and then have a massive shock
    agreed - i was so complacent before i started college and got a bit of a shock let me tell you

ReputationRep:
    I find that being able to pick the subjects you study, makes AS/A Level easier, as a whole. Of course, the papers are more difficult, its 'Advanced' Level, after all. The extra time and the fact that you are learning material you are interested in outweighs the extra difficulty of the papers. AS Level also provides you with a smooth transistion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    The only reason why I'm finding A-level hard is because of the style of the questions and their respective mark schemes. I am fine with expressing myself, and my maths is always accurate, but I always lose a mark for not using one specific word, or for not stating the rearranged equation. Silly little niggly things like that! The actual content (at AS at least) is basically GCSE with little snippets dropped in here and there (except for Maths, which actually has structure, making it really exciting!!).
    Completely agree. Chemistry is the biggest offender in this respect. And yes...Maths is wonderful :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Completely agree. Chemistry is the biggest offender in this respect. And yes...Maths is wonderful :p:
    Sorry. Biology wins that battle everytime. Especially AQA B. You have to learn that exact words required.

ReputationRep:
    For OCR Biology there are usually a minimum of 20 things to say for every 7 mark question. OCR Chemistry has to be the most pedantic...

ReputationRep:
    Nobody I know thinks A levels are easier than degree. With a degree by the time you get to the 3rd you're on your own, you have to produce a 15,000 word report, do a major project on top of all the other examd and assignments.

Only the brightest students are supposed to sit A levels which is why they are so hard compared to GCSEs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It depends on your teachers a lot. Most at my school still give us all the dictated notes and we just learn them, so to me its just like GCSE. I find the only exception is maths where you have to implement the ideas. Likewise if you have a teacher who gives you few notes (one or two at my school do) you find it harder as you have to make up for this.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think that my a levels are easier than my GCSE's ... whilst i got 4A's 3B's and 3C's (Which i now learn is very poor by TSR standards ) I got 4A's at As level. I put it down to not having to revise so many different subjects and because i chose things i was interested and good in it made it easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baal_k)
    I find the studying required for A Levels less than, and easier than, GCSE's. I do far less work than I did before.
    :ditto:

I think back at my GCSEs and am amazed at how much more work I used to do. I mean I'd have homework to do pretty much every night, whereas nowadays I'll be lucky to get 2 pieces a week (and even "luckier" to actually do them). The only time Ive REALLY worked (by that I mean about 2 hours a day) in the last two years has been my A2 Chemistry coursework, and even that was only about a fortnight. I'm quite worried at the prospect of having to work again at Uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    :ditto:

I think back at my GCSEs and am amazed at how much more work I used to do. I mean I'd have homework to do pretty much every night, whereas nowadays I'll be lucky to get 2 pieces a week (and even "luckier" to actually do them). The only time Ive REALLY worked (by that I mean about 2 hours a day) in the last two years has been my A2 Chemistry coursework, and even that was only about a fortnight. I'm quite worried at the prospect of having to work again at Uni.
    Good god what school are you at? I get an essay a week for hist, an assignment a week for biology one or 2 pieces of chem a week and 2 pieces of maths a week...

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to get 4 hours / teacher, and I have 3 teachers for Maths, 2 for Chemistry, 2 for Physics, and 1 for Electronics :eek:

Thankfully, we only get 2-3 hours / teacher !!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes our legendry bio assignments are suppposed to last 5 hours a week, thankfully after the first couple they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    Good god what school are you at? I get an essay a week for hist, an assignment a week for biology one or 2 pieces of chem a week and 2 pieces of maths a week...
    A good old fashioned inner city comp, woo! Yeah, further maths work is all done in lessons, chemistry never give work, and neither does critical thinking. French I rarely turn up to and will occasionally get the odd essay (which I do even more rarely). Its only physics that gives regular homework, and the other day the teacher was making lists of uncompleted homework, with usually 3 or 4 people per page, but I got a whole page to myself!! (though have got over that by ticking them off in his book while he was out of the room).

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.