Definitive Getting a First Guide Watch

Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Find someone else doing your course, and help each other with work and stuff.

Share essays and notes with other people on your degree course in aid of revision before exams.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
IMO, anyone with a healthy intelligence (most uni students) and the willingness to put in as much work as it takes can get a first. Sounds easy, but many people that say they "would do anything for a first" and have the best intentions, but yet when it comes down to it, they never actually put in the work required, and instead go out getting drunk etc.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh and consistency...if you want a first you need to be hitting the right grades on the majority of your coursework (definitely the big ones), so you want to make sure you are working throughout the year and don't go through any big slack stages, because a couple bad grades at key points can seriously harm your chances.
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
IMO, anyone with a healthy intelligence (most uni students) and the willingness to put in as much work as it takes can get a first. Sounds easy, but many people that say they "would do anything for a first" and have the best intentions, but yet when it comes down to it, they never actually put in the work required, and instead go out getting drunk etc.
Hmmm...I take your point in that hard work and a 'healthy intelligence' are prerequisites, but surely it (as others have said) differs uni-to-uni? Also, what about students that do work incredibly hard, put the time in, and are intelligent, but can't quite get a first - especially in Arts subjects -? Also, as regards your other post: some universities don't have many (if any) coursework modules so the grade you get depends very much on examination performance. Surely then, natural flair, conceptual awareness and originality (for the arts, anyhow) add to the hard work and intelligence aspects in aiming for the magic first and can help make the difference between high 2.1 and 1?
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by White_redrose)
Hmmm...I take your point in that hard work and a 'healthy intelligence' are prerequisites, but surely it (as others have said) differs uni-to-uni? Also, what about students that do work incredibly hard, put the time in, and are intelligent, but can't quite get a first - especially in Arts subjects -? Also, as regards your other post: some universities don't have many (if any) coursework modules so the grade you get depends very much on examination performance. Surely then, natural flair, conceptual awareness and originality (for the arts, anyhow) add to the hard work and intelligence aspects in aiming for the magic first and can help make the difference between high 2.1 and 1?
Hi!

Yeah I see what you mean about Arts subjects...I can't really comment on them at all since I have only studied sciences at A-level and uni and so should have said that in my post.

I guess I am basing what I said on my own experience with some of the poeple I know. They are intelligent enough to get firsts, and they want firsts, but they just aren't prepared to put in the work. I probably shouldn't have said anyone can get them, but I was trying to get the point across that they are not as far-fetched as some people believe. It just annoys me when I see people perfectly able, but not put in that extra effort because they think that only geniuses can get a first. That obviously isn't the case because I am far from a genius but yet on for a very good first....in my case it is just hard-work.
astralcars
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd stress consistent effort over time, both with coursework/assignments and reading. Natural ability will be most useful when it’s backed by sound knowledge of the material and prior practice. I very much hope for a first and if I get one, it’ll be by virtue of my performance in mathematical papers. How to score highly in essay based modules is often beyond me.

In the arts, White_redrose is probably close to the mark in stressing originality; the ability to stand out amongst 50 other manuscripts that have said the same thing. But I would have thought there’s nothing new under the Sun when it comes to undergraduate essays. Perhaps originality at this level, rather than being an intrinsic trait, is simply a matter of deliberately searching non-prescribed readings to draw from.
Alan Smithee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Has anyone who has posted in here got a first?
dancingqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope, I haven't but I said that in my original post
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Platocrates)
Not yet, but am on target for one - got a first overall for last year and averaging 84% on everything so far this year.
Spunky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Apparently am on course for one, but haven't had any formal examinations yet, but it doesn't stop my tutors piling the pressure on :rolleyes: .
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I need to get one. I don't know if I will, if I carry on doing theatre stuff...
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jinglepupskye)
When it comes to assignments be absolutely sure what it is that the marker is looking for. In one of my modules the marker had a checklist of things that he wanted to see in the assignment. If you covered those things you got a mark for it, if you didn't then it wouldn't matter how much time and effort had gone in to the work then you would only get a poor mark.
Exactly! The people who tend to do well in my course always go through the module guide/assessment guidelines for a particular piece of work or module and ensure that each requirement has been furfilled.

I overheard one of my friends ask our tutor once; so what would it take to get an A+ on this? (almost out of desperation). I heard the answer, took it onboard, and bagged myself my first A+ at uni....its hard to hit that target if you don't know what you're aiming for! :p:
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Doing a silly silly amount of work and having no life, would be the basics of it.

At least for maths, I have to work 25+ hours a week just to get by and hand in (most) assignments in on time. God knows how many hours you'd have to do to get a first.
Spunky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Doing a silly silly amount of work and having no life, would be the basics of it.

At least for maths, I have to work 25+ hours a week just to get by and hand in (most) assignments in on time. God knows how many hours you'd have to do to get a first.
You don't have to do a lot of hours though, especially not for some science subjects. Some people don't understand things instantly and some people just do, I ended up coming out top last term with about a days worth of revision and granted its not going to be that easy in my actual end of year exams but there are people here who do as much work as I do, about twenty to thirty hours a week tops who are coming out with firsts. And that includes all the contact hours of lectures/tute/etc cetera.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What course is that for?

In fairness I miss most of my lectures and I just don't *do* seminars so all the work I do is me teaching myself etc.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Platocrates)
Yes, I have.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
In fairness I miss most of my lectures and I just don't *do* seminars so all the work I do is me teaching myself etc.
There in lies your problem. I don't think I missed more than 4 or 5 lectures during my entire degree and I never missed a tute or seminar. I know it is a bit sad, but it does make a massive difference. I find it is the unwritten content and explanations that make lectures really informative (also being there means you get to question points you don't understand). Just getting the notes of someone else is a poor substitute to actually hearing it first hand.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I haven't missed a single lecture or tutorial this academic year and I'm still having to slog my guts out to get top grades simply because of the workload added on top of it.

You have to get the balance right and not go insane; go to all the lectures and LISTEN, be interested (ask questions if you need to), do all the work required and do it well, when you need to and not last minute, consult friends, lecturers for advice, be sensible about going out all the time etc etc. It's easier said than done obviously, and that is the problem - being determined and consistent enough. :p:
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by black_mamba)
being determined and consistent enough. :p:
And keeping it up for the whole three years is harder than some might think!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
And keeping it up for the whole three years is harder than some might think!
or even 4 years for some of us!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads