Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    although i dont beleive in the 666 thing it has got me thinking and part of me is curious. I wish i had seen that "bible code" documentarty. is it possible to view it online or read about it ?

ReputationRep:
    hooray, I won't have to die old.

ReputationRep:
    They also used a computer to search other things in the bible, and found that there were things like the titles to popular song lyrics in the bible as well as things like president kennedy getting shot. I suppose if you look hard enough, you can find any kind of "mathematical code" in a book with so many words.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ lol well that is one way to look at it !

ReputationRep:
    yay i wont have to fail my exams

ReputationRep:
    The end of the world will be determined by digits...right. Do you realise how dumb that sounds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud_Strife)
    I think its a really interesting subject, but yea people have been predicting the end of the world for years.
    Apperently it is going to end dec 21st 2012. Something to do with some ancients many many years ago, came up with a theory of the worlds cycles, and on that day this cycle will end. They wrote it all down on stones and stuff.
    Twas the mayans. They used some really complex mathmatical equations to keep track of their dates, hence their dates looked rather odd: They believe the last world was destroyed on 13.0.0.0.0, and a new world (our current one) was created on a date that translates to August 11th, 3114 BC. The next 13.0.0.0.0 is december 21, 2012. Most people that have studied the Mayan calendar however do not believe the Mayans predicted that this date will again mark the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Well I guess we'll all get a chance to see The Omen remake before we go...

But anyway I'd be very pissed off because I have Dylan Moran tickets for the 8th.

They are remaking the omen. :eek: Yes Please. And if we die I won't get to go to Greece *Gutted*

ReputationRep:
    Before the millennium there was a big hype about Nostradamus, who predicted that a great beast would descend from the sky and bring about, what do you know, "the end of the world," in the summer of the millennium. It passed and everyone wiped their brows. But of course in September 2001, 2 planes (the beast(s)?) flew into the World Trade Centre, and look how much the world has changed since then. The world we knew did end, in a manner of speaking, in September 2001.
    Haha, that made me laugh. It shouldn't have, I'm a cold-hearted *****. But I have issues with the Western media coverage over 9/11.

Personally? I think the world could end. But hell, it'll end soon enough. IMO, we're just all going to blow ourselves up. x x

ReputationRep:
    What aload of crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simulatio)
    Haha, that made me laugh. It shouldn't have, I'm a cold-hearted *****. But I have issues with the Western media coverage over 9/11.

Personally? I think the world could end. But hell, it'll end soon enough. IMO, we're just all going to blow ourselves up. x x
    Yeah, I thought that sentence you bolded was weird too. There are so many tragedies, yearly, with thousands and thousands of deaths but they'll all be forgotten unless it happens in a western country.

ReputationRep:
    but then again, there was all that Y2K fiasco, and look what came of that?
    x
    Tssk, that was hardly philosophical - that was a result of lazy programmers who underestimated the longetivity of their engines. However, to quote Peter from Office Space:

"Well see, they wrote all this bank software, and, uh, to save space, they used two digits instead of four. So, like, 98 instead of 1998? Uh, so I go through these thousands of lines of code and, uh... it doesn't really matter. I uh, I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."

The reason that never happened is because thousands of programmers abilities were wasted spent changing multiple references to a two digit number to a four digit number for years preceeding the turn of the millenium. THEY are the reason there was no big crash - not because it was all some mystical made up mumbo-jumbo.

ReputationRep:
    I've never read about this "bible code", and to be honest I don't particularly want to.

The world will end when we finally destroy it, which at the rate we're going could quite possibly be in the next few hundred years. Our planet is not going to be able to sustain the damage we're inflicting on it; so it's only a matter of time. As the calendar is a human invention, I sincerly doubt it's being able to predict the exact date of the ending of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    The bible code is actually very interesting (if it's true), but I wouldn't exactly panic because of something it says. People have been predicting the end of the world for hundreds of years.
    I agree, I have lived through it a few times, the first one was some event in 1999 (and no not 31st of December).

It is all a load of crap if you ask me.

Edit the end of the world will also be a long slow process, us humans are still increasing in population so I our death has a long way to go yet, however with the up coming ice age it may be just 1000's of years until we are wiped out. Of course a human disaster just as a nuclear bomb may wipe us out much sooner than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)

Edit the end of the world will also be a long slow process
    You could never know, bird flu could somehow wipe us all out in time for the 6th of June

ReputationRep:

Oh, you completely misunderstood. Yes, I know that the earthquake in Pakistan killed more people than 9/11. But where earthquakes, droughts, etc., happen quite a lot, 9/11 did change the world. I'm not being Western-centric.

Let's see: The U.S. is now a terrified country kicking out, firstly at Afghanistan and Iraq. The BNP is on the rise in this country, there is more Western hostility toward ethnic minorities - just look at France! - and the govt. is becoming steadily more totalitarian in the "war on Terror." The dynamic of the Middle East has undergone a dramatic alteration, and Iran is - as I see it -backlashing against Western intervention with an adamant nuclear programme. This is because of 9/11.

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely. A few decades ago they did the same, but then because they felt threatened because of the communists. America's skeptism about 'strangers' is deep-rooted and quickly ignites fear for misunderstanding.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, but do you deny that 9/11 changed the dynamics of the world? There is now a lot more fear. There is a rise in Christianity, especially in America, but in Europe as well, and increased scepticism about Islam, as well as ethnic minorities. Different races seem to grate more together now - look at the riots in Paris. This is not just an American thing, it has affected the psyches of the world.

I'm not saying it is the most dramatic thing to have happened to the world - originally I was only trying to vindicate Nostradamus's claim, for some reason. If he'd have predicted "the end of the world" for about 1990, I'd have linked it to the fall of the Berlin Wall or something. Many things change the world, if only by increments. I don't think the "end of the world" needs to be read as humanity ending, as it so often is - rather, I think it represents a change, a transition from one world to another. The invention of the car pretty much heralded the end of one world.

ReputationRep:
    Dont know if this has been asked before...but can you give us some more info about this documentry..I would like to watch it myself...

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that they applied the same kind of code cracking stuff to Moby **** and found similar world events predicted and fulfilled?
    Says it all really.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.