languages Watch

kashiya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by irisng)
Ooooh Japanese - I'd love to learn Japanese. I love the language. I might take it up again some time cus I got the "Japanese for busy people" textbook lol I also got a few Japanese comic books - you learn heaps from those actually lol! Well, not heaps, but you do get a few useful phrases!
Yeah, I know I like Miyazaki and Takahata, so I watch their movies in Japanese with English subs and I picked up a few phrases… One gets used to the language. One the beginning I couldn’t tell when a word finished an the other begun, but now it’s no longer a problem! Lol!

Are you into origami at all?
I did it when I was about 8~9 yrs old. I could do all the funny things, but I forgot almost everything by now... And you?
But I luv Bonsai (Only, I have no Bonsai tree, coz every time I went somewhere for my holidays my parents forgot to water it...) But I want to buy me a Bonsai before I come to Notts and take it with me – coz I cannot live in a room without plants

and are you into the writing?
The writing is great It’s even more fascinating than speaking! The whole calligraphy-thing is so amazing… I must admit that on the beginning I didn’t like the sound of Chinese or Japanese, but the writing was so amazing that I wanted to learn it anyway. Now I like even the sound Have you learned calligraphy?

You ever gonna go to China/HK?
Yeah, that’s why I want to learn Chinese… I want to work in an NGO or UNO (In the Human Rights Committee) or in the Polish Embassy in China or simply in a big company – I want to do sth where I’d have to negotiate with people (Asian People )

Polish - coooool! I've never heard Polish before. What is it like?
It’s hard for me to say, I’m so used to it… Polish is a very poetic language. A poem in Polish sounds far better than in German… There is a lot of ‘sh’ and ‘cz’ (like in Czech) sounds in it. Have you heard someone form Russia or Czech Republic speaking? It sounds a bit similar, but only a bit.

I wonder, in which hall I’m going to be allocated…
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kashiya)
Yeah, I know I like Miyazaki and Takahata, so I watch their movies in Japanese with English subs and I picked up a few phrases… One gets used to the language. One the beginning I couldn’t tell when a word finished an the other begun, but now it’s no longer a problem! Lol!

I did it when I was about 8~9 yrs old. I could do all the funny things, but I forgot almost everything by now... And you?
But I luv Bonsai (Only, I have no Bonsai tree, coz every time I went somewhere for my holidays my parents forgot to water it...) But I want to buy me a Bonsai before I come to Notts and take it with me – coz I cannot live in a room without plants

The writing is great It’s even more fascinating than speaking! The whole calligraphy-thing is so amazing… I must admit that on the beginning I didn’t like the sound of Chinese or Japanese, but the writing was so amazing that I wanted to learn it anyway. Now I like even the sound Have you learned calligraphy?

Yeah, that’s why I want to learn Chinese… I want to work in an NGO or UNO (In the Human Rights Committee) or in the Polish Embassy in China or simply in a big company – I want to do sth where I’d have to negotiate with people (Asian People )

It’s hard for me to say, I’m so used to it… Polish is a very poetic language. A poem in Polish sounds far better than in German… There is a lot of ‘sh’ and ‘cz’ (like in Czech) sounds in it. Have you heard someone form Russia or Czech Republic speaking? It sounds a bit similar, but only a bit.

I wonder, in which hall I’m going to be allocated…
Ahhh Miyazaki! Love him, love the music - so gorgeous! although I don't actually like his newer movies... I watch it cus I know it's quality and I mean, it's Mayazaki, but I really do prefer his older ones, you know, like Laputa, Naussica's Valley of the Wind. Those two are my favourites.

Yep I do some origami Started when I was 8 or 9 - it was in yr5 and I was friends with this Japanese girl. She made origami frogs and boxes and cranes and there would be queues of children queuing every single day, waiting in turn for Mika (the Jap girl) to make them their selection out of the 3. So I thought - I want one too, but why ask her to make it? If I ask her to teach me, I can make one whenever I want. So she taught me and we both did the origami for queues of people for ages lol. I can make a couple of things, and have recently learnt a simple paper puppet talking fox I can never find anyone to teach me though. Really wish I could cus I'd love to learn. You only ever have to show me it once and I've got it for life mwuhahaha!

Nah can't do calligraphy. They started teaching it in school in HK but I came over to England at the same time. My mum can do Chinese calligraphy though. She used to win prices at school for it. So can you write Chinese and Japanese? You gotta learn to write the traditional Chinese! It's far prettier and far easier to transfer and learn the simiplified version later. Lol, I'm just biased cus it's the one I learned and know but it is prettier.

So does Polish sound anything like German? Is it a soft language like French or a harsher one, like German and Dutch? Chinese is really very poetic too, if you write it properly. I've forgotten most of it now though, but picking it up again by reading

Ahh whichever hall you end up in, if you meet the right people, you'll love it and think it's the best hall ever. I love Derby cus the rooms are enormous - you can fit a double bed in my uni room and still have tonnes of space! You get to see the sunset over the downs every time after lectures at the end of the day cus you gotta pass it to get to Derby. And Derby hall is 1 min from the bus stop And then, all my friends except for 2 live in Derby, and the 2 who don't live in HuStu, which is 5min away from Derby. The main thing is the friends part - if all your friends live one block away, it becomes very handy and you simply grow to love it.

And nope, never heard the Cezh Rep speak! So you intend on going to HK or China?
kashiya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Ahhh Miyazaki! Love him, love the music - so gorgeous! although I don't actually like his newer movies... I watch it cus I know it's quality and I mean, it's Mayazaki, but I really do prefer his older ones, you know, like Laputa, Naussica's Valley of the Wind. Those two are my favourites.

Yep I do some origami Started when I was 8 or 9 - it was in yr5 and I was friends with this Japanese girl. She made origami frogs and boxes and cranes and there would be queues of children queuing every single day, waiting in turn for Mika (the Jap girl) to make them their selection out of the 3. So I thought - I want one too, but why ask her to make it? If I ask her to teach me, I can make one whenever I want. So she taught me and we both did the origami for queues of people for ages lol. I can make a couple of things, and have recently learnt a simple paper puppet talking fox I can never find anyone to teach me though. Really wish I could cus I'd love to learn. You only ever have to show me it once and I've got it for life mwuhahaha!

Nah can't do calligraphy. They started teaching it in school in HK but I came over to England at the same time. My mum can do Chinese calligraphy though. She used to win prices at school for it. So can you write Chinese and Japanese? You gotta learn to write the traditional Chinese! It's far prettier and far easier to transfer and learn the simiplified version later. Lol, I'm just biased cus it's the one I learned and know but it is prettier.

So does Polish sound anything like German? Is it a soft language like French or a harsher one, like German and Dutch? Chinese is really very poetic too, if you write it properly. I've forgotten most of it now though, but picking it up again by reading

Ahh whichever hall you end up in, if you meet the right people, you'll love it and think it's the best hall ever. I love Derby cus the rooms are enormous - you can fit a double bed in my uni room and still have tonnes of space! You get to see the sunset over the downs every time after lectures at the end of the day cus you gotta pass it to get to Derby. And Derby hall is 1 min from the bus stop And then, all my friends except for 2 live in Derby, and the 2 who don't live in HuStu, which is 5min away from Derby. The main thing is the friends part - if all your friends live one block away, it becomes very handy and you simply grow to love it.

And nope, never heard the Cezh Rep speak! So you intend on going to HK or China?
Nausicaa and Lauputa… mm… they’re great! But Spirited is also amazing. Only Howl’s isn’t that good, esp. the ending is so stupid. I’ve just downloaded The grave of fireflies and am about to watch it I’ve heard it’s one of Ghiblis best movies! And this year there will be a new movie by Goro Miyazaki (the son of Hayo) based on the 3rd and 4th book of Earthsea I can’t wait to see it. I’ve watched the trailer and it looks just like Hayo’s old movies!

I knew a bit of Katakana in the past (friends from Japan taught me), but I forgot everything (there was so much to do for school that I had no time for Japanese). I can neither write nor speak but I hope I’ll be able to learn sth in the summer holidays. 4 months is a long time! I’ve already some materials downloaded.

No, Polish isn’t like German at all. Polish is much nicer it isn’t like French either. But I’d say it sounds more like French than German. Polish is quite pleasant to listen to, but it is not as soft as French. Uhum… I guess I cannot explain it that well lol! Ok, let’s see: If you took French and put a lot of ‘sh’ and ‘cz’ and ‘shi’ etc sounds in it, it would be a bit like Polish. Polish sounds a bit like flowing water. It sounds also sometimes like Japanese. If they say sth in Japanese using a lot of ‘r’ (Japanese ‘r’ sound exactly like Polish ‘r’ – which is quite uncommon, as Polish ‘r’ is very specific) it is a bit like Polish.

I’ve heard that Notts has a great campus. (I know it only from the web) That’s one reason why I applied here lol!

Yeah, I’d love to go to HK or China. I’d like to live there for some time – to learn the culture form inside (therefore I need the language). I hope I’ll be able to go for half a year in the 2nd year to China to study there. And if not than at least for 2 months in the summer holidays… Only my parents don’t like the idea that I’d be alone in China (for them it’s a bit scary lol!), I guess they’d rather I went to Singapore – I’ve been there already and my family has lot’s of friends there. Well, actually I wouldn’t mind going to Singapore - it’s a great country to live (but not too long coz its so small that it can get boring lol!).

Ask your mum to teach you calligraphy and than you'll teach me! lol!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (70)
75.27%
No (23)
24.73%

Watched Threads