Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Even though I may be shunning my scummy 'council house estate roots'*, West London is quite pretty. Currently camped out in the SW part and don't want to go.

*Overheard some teenager girls say this to their friend, quite amusing.

Lady_Muck, where abouts do you work and whats the lowest price for a property you've seen locally? Flat, bungalow, house, anything.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my parents are buying two places while I'm at uni. One for me and my friends to live in and the other to rent out to other students. Ive had to do all the looking and seeing estate agents etc because obviously my parents are long way away. Its been stressful many muchly :eek: The property market is cruel, especially when theres lots of fellow landlords trying to buy the house you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    If I persue a career in academia I will probably not be able to afford to purchase a house until my late 30's - how depressing.
    Oh the irony.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Yep! Even though I may be shunning my scummy 'council house estate roots'*, West London is quite pretty. Currently camped out in the SW part and don't want to go.

*Overheard some teenager girls say this to their friend, quite amusing.

Lady_Muck, where abouts do you work and whats the lowest price for a property you've seen locally? Flat, bungalow, house, anything.

I work for Jacksons Stops & Staff so probably not the best person to ask as the houses/apartment tend to be £300,000 - £3,000,000

Anyway, more relevently my stepdad does an awful lot of property developing and he's just sold a development of flats; cheapest was a one bedroom studio flat with sea views £92,950 and most expensive was a 2 bedroomed flat with sea views for £220,000. That's in a small coastal Devon town.

A lot of them around here are converted victorian houses (lots of big victorian properties around here) and the average price for a 2 bed apartment is about £180,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    That's true. I still prefer west London.
    Ahhh...I love East London! Dalston, Haggerston, London Fields, Mile End, Docklands .....

LOVing it

ReputationRep:
    Im a West Londoner!! (well central west).

House hunting is only for the very very brave. I moved house recently (with the rents) and it took ages!!

I've got an idea where you can move(saw in foxtons mag in my mail):

£25,000,000
    W8
    NINE bedrooms (2 ensuite, 8 with dressing rooms)
    Gym
    sauna
    indoor swimming pool
    Huge landscaped garden
    2 garages
    10 bathrooms (more than bedrooms?)
    5 floors
    3 living rooms
    Kitchen
    Brekfast room

OMG i want this house!! In the picture it looked so so good, anyone want to chip in and move in with me???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Ahhh...I love East London! Dalston, Haggerston, London Fields, Mile End, Docklands .....

LOVing it
    Belgravia, Chelsea, Fulham, Kensington, Hammersmith, Shepherd's Bush, White City...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Lewisham is expensive now? :eek:
    Hell yeah. £230K+ for a pokey 2-bedroom new build apartment. Similar price in Peckham which is an even worse area (saw a place near the 'infamous' North Peckham regeneration area recently).

The biggest piss take I've seen is the £350K 2-bed apartments in the Water Gardens (www.thewatergardens.co.uk) at Surrey Quays. Plus a mandatory £17.5K for a parking space in the underground garage. The worst thing of all is that they want you to exchange with 10% in 6 weeks and then move into the building in 2 years time when it's finished!

Personally, there is no way I would take a risk like that, because IMO property prices are going to have to drop. Interest rates can't stay low forever, and once they start to creep up, all the mugs who are over-committed on their mortgages will find themselves repossessed and there will be some nice cheap property up for auction.

ReputationRep:
    yes I have and decided my cash is not ....what it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Hell yeah. £230K+ for a pokey 2-bedroom new build apartment. Similar price in Peckham which is an even worse area...
    Yep. As with other purchases it pays to look around. I bet I could get a decent 3 bedroom house for that price in west London (probably Shepherd's Bush or something like that).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.