Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    I always use Norton Antivirus but everyone here seems to hate that.
    Both Norton and McAfee are crap.

Use AVG on Windows, and they even have a Linux version too.

Its very good and free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swinely)
    AntiVir Personal Edition Classic 6.32 probably, but why do you want a free one.. its not going to work as well as ANY of the purchased ones and why put your computer at risk. Its not worth doing unless its a temporary solution with a very good firewall or a lot of content filtering. Although yeah it is better than no anti virus at all.

And yeah Kaspersky is great for not hogging your system, you can set how much cpu it can use

What makes you think free ones are not as good as a purchased ones. That’s what they want you to think, so you pay for the service.

Most of the non free ones only offer small extra features over a free version. And most of those features you will never probably use anyway.

Free != downgrade in scanning or virus detection / removal. Normally just means no features like scheduling.

ReputationRep:
    Kaspersky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedeye)
    Most of the non free ones only offer small extra features over a free version. And most of those features you will never probably use anyway.
    Like better definitions or an engine which actually does something other than sitting there going 'omfg a virus' doing nothing about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Like better definitions or an engine which actually does something other than sitting there going 'omfg a virus' doing nothing about it?
    Well, I don't know which antivirus you are using, but with AVG the free and paid versions get the same definition files (although paid users get priority servers for downloading), and use the same engine.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know which antivirus you are using, but with AVG the free and paid versions get the same definition files (although paid users get priority servers for downloading), and use the same engine.
    AVG just sucks in general.

I use Symantec Corporate.

ReputationRep:

Yeah but AVG generally isn't very good... search for comparisons on the internet everywhere will tell you this. How can you expect something to be as good as a paid for product? Almost any of the paid ones are better than AVG.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.