What GCSE Grade are Bad? Watch

stratomaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mikeski)
Well the people on TSR only make up about 5% of the people doing GCSE's.

And tbh, I wouldnt put it past some people to spoof that they got all these A*'s and A's... It's an internet forum, how can we be sure that these people are really getting the grades they claim to be getting? Bit sad like, but thats some people for ya...
No they make up well less than 0.0001% and its toally unrepresentative because everyone here is academically concious and gets the best grades
NileDelta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is what happen at my school.

The people that was going to get A/A* (top set) got all the attetion. All the rest of the sets didn't. Most of top set got the lowers grades in my school.
Dilute
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
People who don't want to make an effort with studies wouldn't come on TSR, since TSR is mostly associated with academic help and other student worries. Even though there is little academic help compared to other things - like H&R and D&D, people who wouldn't want to spend their time getting better grades wouldn't come on here.

My rankings for myself:
* - Good
A - Acceptable
B - Uh oh.
C - Out of the question.

My rankings in general:
* - Excellent
A - Good
B - Average
C - Acceptable
eggycal
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dilute)
My rankings for myself:
* - Good
A - Acceptable
B - Uh oh.
C - Out of the question.

My rankings in general:
* - Excellent
A - Good
B - Average
C - Acceptable
good idea - some people are conscious enough that whats "Acceptable" for them is pretty "Good" for other ppl
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's really not a good idea to judge your results in relation to those of others on TSR. As people have pointed out, only those who are interested in their education, work hard and therefore get top grades come on this forum. There is also a disproportionate amount of students from private and grammar schools compared to the population as a whole. Which GCSE grades are classed as good and bad is highly subjective because it depends on the situation- for example, someone applying to a normal sixth form or college with 5 Bs and 5 Cs would probably be classed as having good grades, but if the same person then applied for medicine at Oxbridge, their grades would be considered quite bad.

For me personally:
A*- excellent
A- very good
B- good
C- OK
D and below- bad
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I cried with joy when I got a B in maths in my mock (a past paper using the mark scheme and grade boundries), I couldn't get over it because I struggle with maths so so so so so so much. In other subjects I'd be annoyed with less than an A.
I personally think it is all proportional to the person.
I don't think Cs are bad, but they are nothing special.

I reckon B is good, C is average. If you get an A* you are working at A level standard (true story)
sim90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A C is good for me!
I would rather have C's than have D's...
but for some people in this forum who are straight A students... i would say a C would be acceptable because a C would abviously be the lowest grade they get...
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was disappointed with myself when I found I had a C, but it was in music which was kinda predicatable (long story concerning a teacher who made me truly miserable).

Yeah, generally A*- excellent, C- average is the way it officially goes, but I get the impression from almost all of my teachers that A* is good, A is acceptable, and anything below is just the end of the world. That was the attitude they programmed into all of us, and it was extremely unhealthy, especially when so many of us were bursting into tears over a B graded piece of work.

It's weird now at A level, because although you won't go far uni-wise with anything less than a BBC, getting Cs in considered a job fairly well done. It actually comes as a bit of a shock to the system, going from getting fairly consistent As and Bs at GCSE to gettign consistent Ds at AS.

Unless you've got your heart set on something in particular that needs a really good grade, then all you should do is focus on getting the best grade you can possibly achieve, be it an A, a C or a D.
eggycal
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
I was disappointed with myself when I found I had a C, but it was in music which was kinda predicatable (long story concerning a teacher who made me truly miserable).

Yeah, generally A*- excellent, C- average is the way it officially goes, but I get the impression from almost all of my teachers that A* is good, A is acceptable, and anything below is just the end of the world. That was the attitude they programmed into all of us, and it was extremely unhealthy, especially when so many of us were bursting into tears over a B graded piece of work.

It's weird now at A level, because although you won't go far uni-wise with anything less than a BBC, getting Cs in considered a job fairly well done. It actually comes as a bit of a shock to the system, going from getting fairly consistent As and Bs at GCSE to gettign consistent Ds at AS.

Unless you've got your heart set on something in particular that needs a really good grade, then all you should do is focus on getting the best grade you can possibly achieve, be it an A, a C or a D.
the grade transition from GCSE to AS/A2 is probably because the former have been watered down so much that an A* now would have been a B not so long ago
hello_miffy
Report 12 years ago
To be honest I think it depends entirely on the person. Someone in a top, grade driven school (you know the type), would see anything below an A as basically unacceptable, whereas for others a C is an achievement.

Personally I'm aiming for Cs and above in everything, with Bs in Science, Maths and English. As would be great, but I'm not going to cry over it!
*Tears and Butterflies*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me a C is probably bad but i know i will probably be getting a C or a D :eek: in Spanish which i think is complete crap and i do really want to pass it. I might also get a C in food but to me a B is acceptable an A is good/excellet and a A* is good/excellent. It just depends what subjects and whether you are naturally good at it. I wouldn't be ecstatic with A*A* in double science because that is what i expect of myself so it would just be good. (don't get me wrong i would be happy but I would be aiming for the highest possible UMS marks!) but an A* in maths would be excellent i wouldn't care what marks, not going to happen though.

As you can see i have really high expectations of myself even though i am not that clever and probably wont meet them.
GerardT
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It does depend on the school setting - for several subjects at schools I know anything under a B means you can't do it past GCSE. Certainly in my experience with grammar schools, teachers always emphasize about how "everyone should be aiming for the very top grades" and I think it creates an atmosphere where academic failure is simply not being the best. Not a nice thing at all really.
no1topman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
mine are bad....7C's 1B

regards
pindini
Report 12 years ago
* boss
A very gd
B gd
C decent
D ouch
E - eek !
U- enough said
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
C would be a disappointment for me, and anything below wouldn't be worth keeping.
lil groovy dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In my opinion

A* - Outstanding
A - Excellent
B - Good
C - Acceptable

D's and below are bad!
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mikeski)
a C is good because its the lowest grade you need to study the subject at A-Level! i would consider a D bad as there's not much you can do with a D, but at least a C can get you back into the subject if you wanted.
in my school, you need a B atleast to study it at AS.
chugger
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd be devastated if I got C's and more than 1 or possibly 2 B's! And more to the point so would my parents!
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
in my school, you need a B atleast to study it at AS.
Same here, but most places its Cs, the local ****ty college near me you need 4 Ds!!
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would hate to get a 'B' in any of my GCSEs, I've worked hard and still working hard to get majority A* and a maybe one or two A's (I hate French!) :mad:

I think due to the increased competition for entry into the great sixth form Colleges (especially where I live, anything less than an A is bad :eek:) - the one I've got into get atleast 10-15 out of 150 into Oxbridge, so a 'B' is frowned upon. C-U aren't even considered for admission, which is dismissive considering the fact people with C's and D's get accepted into Oxbridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads