Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugardaddy)
    I would recommend the same - pick up an AS-Level next year whilst doing your A2s.

If you get AAA this year, have a good personal statement and reference - you stand a good chance with them all. However, LSE place a major emphasis on GCSE grades, so you may need to look into this, and whilst it's also important to the others (UCL, Warwick, etc.), there tends to be more leniency.
    you know what, i may just do that. but when i apply for uni next year, i will only actually have 3 AS grades. so when i right down my grades for ucas, ican only say i have (hopefuly) AAA, hence is there any point of doing the extra AS because i wont have anything to show for it when applying to uni? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssssb1)
    Why not do an AS next year...
    i may! but read my above post and if you dont mind post back some advice please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobmarley988)
    i may! but read my above post and if you dont mind post back some advice please!
    OK im NOT SURE about this, but say for example you dont cash in your AS grades this year [I didnt when I applied], you just put the subjects you are taking and the predictions - which can include the AS Level in year 13. I got my head of year to put module results in the reference.

You cant put AS levels that you do this year untill you cash them in, which some schools dont.

Remember, im not sure about this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameso88)
    i'd suggest doing further maths AS then you would have the quota of 4 AS's and the subject that apparently uni's love you to have.
    my school doesnt do further maths!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    OK im NOT SURE about this, but say for example you dont cash in your AS grades this year [I didnt when I applied], you just put the subjects you are taking and the predictions - which can include the AS Level in year 13. I got my head of year to put module results in the reference.

You cant put AS levels that you do this year untill you cash them in, which some schools dont.

Remember, im not sure about this though.
    ok thanks very much. again though, when i apply, if i do the above, i'll only have predicted grades. wont that inhibit me from getting into a top uni becuase i only have predicted grades? Example, if student X has AAAA at AS and predicted AAA but i only have predicted AAA(a for extra AS) i wont come across too good becuase i only have predicted grades, for all they know i could have Bs and Cs at AS level. do you see where im coming form? another thing, is it possilbe for me to cash my current AS grades so i could write in my ucas (again,hopefuly) AAA for actualy grades and AAA for predicted and (a) for predicted for the extra AS? i am getting kinda of confused now!lol! i hope any of the above made sense! thanks again

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks very much. again though, when i apply, if i do the above, i'll only have predicted grades. wont that inhibit me from getting into a top uni becuase i only have predicted grades? Example, if student X has AAAA at AS and predicted AAA but i only have predicted AAA(a for extra AS) i wont come across too good becuase i only have predicted grades, for all they know i could have Bs and Cs at AS level. do you see where im coming form? another thing, is it possilbe for me to cash my current AS grades so i could write in my ucas (again,hopefuly) AAA for actualy grades and AAA for predicted and (a) for predicted for the extra AS? i am getting kinda of confused now!lol! i hope any of the above made sense! thanks again
    People from my year/school went to oxbridge, LSE, UCL, warwick, and other top unis - and everyone only had predictions. But then again ask your teacher [well a teacher who knows what they are talking about]. Remember, you can get your grades mentioned in your reference. Im pretty sure unis will understand that not all schools cash in AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    you know what, i may just do that. but when i apply for uni next year, i will only actually have 3 AS grades. so when i right down my grades for ucas, ican only say i have (hopefuly) AAA, hence is there any point of doing the extra AS because i wont have anything to show for it when applying to uni? :confused:
    You will have a 'pending' grade to show for the extra AS. Whilst most drop the 4th subject into the second-year, you are simply picking it up in the second - the structure is different, but the end result is the same. Competition is intense, so by doing this you will avoid giving yourself a concrete disadvantage for the admissions to frown upon.

If you get top results this year, then it would be foolish to not disclose them on your UCAS form.

If your school doesn't do F. Maths, then it will have to be something else. In my opinion, it's no point getting worked up about this right now. Rather focus on getting top grades in each module this year, and once exams are over, you will have plenty of time to work it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugardaddy)
    In my opinion, it's no point getting worked up about this right now. Rather focus on getting top grades in each module this year, and once exams are over, you will have plenty of time to work it out.
    yeah i think your right, ive been getting kind of upset lately because the feeling i get is that if you dont have AAAA at As level and A/* at GCSE then you pretty much have no hope of getting into a top 6 uni. im just going to put my head down and do the best i can and see what happens. thanks for the advise

ReputationRep:
    People from my year/school went to oxbridge, LSE, UCL, warwick, and other top unis - and everyone only had predictions. But then again ask your teacher [well a teacher who knows what they are talking about]. Remember, you can get your grades mentioned in your reference. Im pretty sure unis will understand that not all schools cash in AS levels.
    ok thanks for the advise i verymuch appreciate it

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.