Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University versus music college. Aaaargh. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im at music school and this is just what everyone advises to singers, but unless you're exeptional, then the best music colleges (rcm, ram, northern) are extremely unlikely to take you until you're quite a bit older and your voice has fully matured - my very amazing friend didn't get in till 25 (!) so i think if you wanna go to music college then leave it more then a year...going to uni and then the opera course would be good, but you'd have to be disciplined about practice and find yourself a really good teacher. trinity is the only music college i know of that has let in younger singers from my school. but i really don't know lots about singing or any music colleges apart from the london ones so don't listen to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Mate, I don't mean to be rude, but the quality of players/singers at these places is just not comparable. To get into a serious college course you'd be expected to be of high diploma standard, and when I say diploma I'm talking about that tough thing after grade 8. You can get into ACM and other similar colleges (BIMM, LIPA, Leeds) with crap musicianship and get an absolutely useless degree and not even deal with real music.

MB
    I'm at the ACM at the moment and I'd sadly have to agree with most of what you've said. The ACM degree right now (at least for guitar) is a joke. They're unorganised, the course is useless and the workload is laughable, I havent done any work here whatsoever. But, there are some awesome musicians here (and some utterly useless ones) and they have gone on to be profressionals working in the industry, but thats not because of ACM. If the OP wants to do opera, then I'd stay away from ACM, go to uni you'll be much better off.

ReputationRep:
    surely if you want to focus on preformance.. Music college is the way to go?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm currently on a gap year during which time i have done a bit of travelling, working and will now be volunteering doing music sessions with special needs kids in Sri Lanka and with an organisation called the music project in the war torn North while preparing to do my LTCL in flute in December. I have 8A*s and 2A's at IGCSE (music wasnt on offer) and 2A*s (history and biology) and 2Bs (unfortunately music and geo) at A'level. I grew up in Sri Lanka where schools do not offer A'level music as a subject and so I was forced to take it outside of school and largely self teach with some limited help from my flute teacher which was not ideal. I have a distinction at ABRSM grade 8 flute, have played in the 3 orchestras, was choir captain at school and have a bit of local performing experience. However, my general musical and theory knowledge is absolutely terrible. Having never studied it as a subject (outside performance) until my A'level course and then only learning from the syllabus, it just really is abysmal in my opinion. I have tried getting out books from the library and educating myself but i find it difficult to self motivate and learn it all. I have no keyboard skills, I cant tell you the birth years of composers or correctly define different forms,etc. and my knowledge of harmony and counterpoint rules are severely limited but when I play my flute, the music just happens and I can feel it within me! I don't expect to become a big time performer, but I want the music in me to reach its full potential and then, I would like to use it for good and perhaps become a music therapist. I ideally would like to go to a university as i like the more rounded approach and really, really want the more diverse student life and interactions it comes with compared to a conservatoire but performance is the only thing i have a real handle on and i don't think thats enough. I'm worried that I stand no chance of getting in anywhere nice and am sure everyone else knows so much more than me. I was head girl, house captain a prefect,etc and I know that I am making life difficult for myself and could get in easily to study history or the like, but this is my dream, the question is, is it unrealistic?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.